sugar?

suziblues2000
suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
This is what I have for breakfast which puts me over my sugar calories every day:
coffee with 1 tea sugar and a bit of whole milk
2/3 bowl of granola with 1 cup of 1% milk

Yes, that breakfast puts me OVER my sugar calories.

The cereal is either Kashe Go Lean Crunch or Sun Belt Fruit and Nut Granola.

So after I eat this breakfast it seems that I should NOT eat anymore sugar all day. Could this be correct?
Thank you.

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Suzi,
    So long as it's a natural sugar in it's natural state (ie still bound with fiber) it's not bad. When you eat a cereal with added, refined sugar it becomes an issue. Try to avoid items in a box as much as you can, and for what you really must use try to find items where the added sugar is WAY down the list.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I've heard that any cereal with more than 5 grams of sugar, before the milk is added, should be avoided.
  • suziblues2000
    wow. That's why I love this site so much, I am learning things that I had NO idea before!

THANK YOU
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Because your cereal has added sugar to it, you've used up you ADDED sugar allowance for the day. however, you can still have natural sugar that is found in grains, fruit, and some veggies. the natural sugar will make your sugar allowance go deeper into the negative, but it is okay to disregard as long as its natural. what uses up my added sugar allowance is my cereal and yogurt that i eat almost daily.
  • suziblues2000
    The sugar in the cereal l am eating is WAY down on the list of ingredients.

Plus, the Kashi Go Lean cereal, it doesn't even say 'sugar' in the list, it says something like, "evaporated cane juice crystals" (?) and "brown rice syrup" (?) and these ingredients are near the bottom. I have no idea if these ingredients are good, bad or whatever for me! Are they just another way to say: SUGAR?

SO any information re this would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    sue
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Kashi Go Lean only has 9g of sugar in it - I dont think that's too high. That said, I really dont look at any other info in my food diary aside from Carbs, Fat, Protein and Sodium. Most of the sugar in my diet comes from fruit. I eat 3-4 servings a day and it'll always put me over my suggested amt.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    The sugar in the cereal l am eating is WAY down on the list of ingredients.

Plus, the Kashi Go Lean cereal, it doesn't even say 'sugar' in the list, it says something like, "evaporated cane juice crystals" (?) and "brown rice syrup" (?) and these ingredients are near the bottom. I have no idea if these ingredients are good, bad or whatever for me! Are they just another way to say: SUGAR?

SO any information re this would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    sue

Kashi go lean crunch cereal has 13g of sugar per cup - 1% milk has approx 13g of sugar per cup.

Simona - Kashi Go lean cereal has 9g, Sue mentioned she has the crunch cereal.

To avoid eating all that processed sugar, you can try to have breakfast with 1/2 cup of cereal, 1/2 cup of milk, and perhaps some rolled oats, if you need something more in the cereal.

You mentioned you had 2/3rd bowl of cereal. Not sure if that's 1 cup or more than, but something you might want to consider.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member

Kashi go lean crunch cereal has 13g of sugar per cup - 1% milk has approx 13g of sugar per cup.

Simona - Kashi Go lean cereal has 9g, Sue mentioned she has the crunch cereal.

Oh...missed the Crunch part...thanks for correcting that. 13 and 9 are vastly different :)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I don't usually use sugar but when I do I use Whey low because it tastes just like sugar, not a substitute and is only 5 calories. I use it when I cook and they have a brown sugar one that is great also. Has anyone else tried it?
  • suziblues2000
    Whoops: I mean 2/3 CUP of cereal, not bowl!

Thats the recommended serving on the package I think.

But yea, I like oatmeal. But I would have to sweeten it up with sugar! aahhhh! Just can't seem to get away from sugar!
  • suziblues2000
    Off topic: Thumper? Is that a before/after pic of you in your ravatar? Cause you look GOOD! :smile:

Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.