What do you take to work for lunch?

Options

Replies

• skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Salad with 1/2 a chicken breast or grilled salmon .
  • ajhumbird
    Options
    We have the advantage of having a fridge at work. I go shopping at the beginning of the week at Walmart and get a big box of Spring Mix lettuce, light balsamic dressing, some time of cheese like Feta or shaved parmasan. As for the rest of the toppings I vary that, sometimes its bananna peppers, tomoatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers and last week it was Tuna. They make the perfect lunch portion of tuna and it's high in protien. Also I try and cook healthy big meals over the weekend and if there is leftover I will bring that too.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On Sunday night, I cook an extra, full-sized meal and my husband and I both take it to work all week for lunch (I make this meal in addition to whatever dinner was on Sunday, so that we have two sets of leftovers and don't end up sick of whatever we are eating...so that second one is usually something crock pot-able :tongue: )

This week, lunch will be black bean and sweet potato chili. Last week it was Mexican pulled chicken over a salad, and the week before it was curried quinoa with baby spinach, butternut squash, and grilled chicken. I like to mix it up so I don't get bored and start "cheating." All are easy to pack, full of protein, and different options than your standard salad (nothing wrong with a salad, but VERY easy to get bored with that!)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Depends.
    Today is Ryvita with low fat cheese spread and a yogurt
    Tomorrow will be leftover chicken with a salad
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I normally have either a chicken breast or a salmon fillet with a hard boiled egg and a salad. High in protein, low in cals and keeps me full for ages.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Salad with kindney beans, chick peas, shredded cheese, croutons and vinegar.
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    for lunch I like a salad made with broccoli slaw, raisins, one clementine, sliced almonds and raspberry vinaigrette. This is good with a simple ham sandwich or cottege cheese :)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    This week for me it is mixed lettuces and spring greens with whte tuna and avocado along with a balsamic drizzle and an orange for dessert.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not great at the main dish (leftovers, frozen meals) - but my snacks are lowfat string cheese, greek yogurt, almonds, and protein bars (just started making homemade).

I found lots of different protein bar recipes online. I tried to make the easiest one with the fewest ingredients. You can always add chia/flax seeds. Here's my modified version:

2 cups natural peanut butter (can sub high protein if you want more protein)
    1 cup organic honey
    1 cup oats (I like the taste of quick oats but rough cut/steel cut would be better for you!)
    2 cups protein powder (I like chocolate but vanilla or even banana works)

Mix the PB and honey in a saucepan over low/med heat. When combined, stir in the oats. Remove from heat and slowly stir in the protein powder. Smooth into a 9x13 pan.

Makes 24 servings. 236 cals, 14g protein.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Turkey sandwich on wheat, greek yogurt and a fruit or veggie.

Morning Snack: Granola bar and fruit

Afternoon/ Pre-Gym Snack: Oatmeal or unsalted mixed nuts
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've started doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. It's called ProComplete One Titan. There are 45 g of protein in each serving so it definitely keeps me full until later in the day. Then i don't have to worry about deciding what to eat daily.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lately I take tuna salad and a couple apples.

My tuna salad:
    1/4 fat free cottage cheese
    1 tablespoon light mayo
    1/2 cup dry old fashioned oatmeal
    Onion powder to taste
    1 can tuna in water

I mix the first four ingreadents together than add the tuna with the water. Mix well. By the time I eat lunch (about 3 hours later) the oatmeal has absorbed all the liquid and the resulting tuna salad is really dense. It's not gourmet, but it keeps me from getting hungry most afternoons.

This sounds interesting... Might have to try it! :tongue:
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    bump
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    This is my full menu for today

B - 3 oz frozen hash browns
    3 egg whites scrambled
    1 slice velveeta cheese
    grapefruit
    chocolate rice cake with 1 wedge laughing cow strawberry n cream cheese

AM Lunch - 1 cup FF Greek Yogurt
    40 grams dry oatmeal
    1 tsp blueberry jam

mid-day lunch
    3 cups napa cabbage
    cucumber dressing (1/4 cup ff greek yogurt, crushed cucumber, garlic salt and tiny amt of ff milk to thin it out)
    4 oz baked chicken (chicken breast baked in a sweet jalepeno sauce)

PM Lunch
    1/2 cup quinoa
    30 grams ff feta cheese
    5 finely chopped kalamata olives
    rice vinegar

Dinner -
    2 corn tortillas
    75 grams spaghetti sauce
    28 grams low fat shredded mozzarella
    1 tsp parmesan
    3 clementines
  • kristyw76
    kristyw76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My usual go to lunch is a whole wheat pita pocket with either 1 tbsp of peanut butter and half a medium banana or 3 oz chunk lite tuna with a 1 tsp of mayo. I always have fresh fruit to curb my craving for sweets. Sometimes I do bring in leftovers, but between my hubby and the two boys there is usually nothing left at dinner!
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I DESPISE sandwiches and salads.. yuck! Sometimes I take soup, either canned or homemade vegetable minestrone. Sometimes there are left overs like brown rice and beans or veggies. Other times a lean cuisine. Then sometimes I just take a bunch of snacks like fruit, a boiled egg or 2, a couple of low fat graham crackers, almonds, low fat string cheese, greek yogurt with berries.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this because now I am going to make some homemade soup. The canned stuff just has way too much sodium.
  • walker137
    walker137 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like tuna salad made with avocado instead of mayo. Sometimes I spread it on whole wheat bread for a sandwich, but I'll also just eat it as it is. Really filling and tasty!
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Today is a salad with tuna and italian salad dressing, pineapple, pretzle crips, and seltzer. Some days its progresso soup and salad. A nice deli sandwhich and salad. Nuts are good too.
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump