Friends with asthma

Options
scribb
scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
I am Brian. 41 years old with asthma. Growing up as a child, i was always told that I could not be active because of my asthma. I did a few sports in HS, but could not get my asthma in check. A few years ago, I decided to try to get in better shape by walking on the treadmill. I did this for a while, and then started to mix some running with the walking. I started off by walking for 5 min's and running for 5 min's and walking for 10. As time went on, I increased the running time. In 2009 I ran my first half marathon. After running the half, I made myself a goal of running a full marathon before I turned 40. In 2011 I signed up for my first full marathon and completed it. I didn't have a great time, but I did it. This year, I have signed up to run the Boston marathon thru a charity. I have watched it on TV for years, and always dreamed about being able to run it.

I have learned over the years to never give up, and to keep pushing your self. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something.

I would like to have more friends and more friends that have asthma. We can learn a lot from each other and help one another.

Replies

• mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've also has asthma since I was a child. Before I had kids I was an avid runner. The year before I had my oldest I ran a half. Now, 4 kids and 70 lbs later I'm struggling to get back in shap. I've gotten rid of 30 of that 70, so I'm on my way. I find that the more active I am the better controlled my asthma is. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, also have asthma. Had it since I was a kid, but it wasn't bad enough for my parents to take me a doctor for it. I wasn't diagnosed until my early 20s (when I took myself to the doctor), so now it's bad enough that I can't go out on smoggy days. I used to think I'd never be a runner because of it, but then I saw a contestant on the Biggest Loser running on a treadmill with her inhaler nearby. She ended up winning the competition, so it was inspiration.
  • mommysockmonkey
    Options
    I've also has asthma since I was a child. Before I had kids I was an avid runner. The year before I had my oldest I ran a half. Now, 4 kids and 70 lbs later I'm struggling to get back in shap. I've gotten rid of 30 of that 70, so I'm on my way. I find that the more active I am the better controlled my asthma is. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mommysockmonkey
    Options
    Not sure why that posted twice. Sorry.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I never had asthma as a kid. And I don't have asthma on a regular basis. Mine is exercise-induced asthma. The coughing fits usually come on about 15-30 minutes after I stop exercising.
  • ukjessi
    ukjessi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been an acute asthmatic since childhood (diagnosed around 3 or 4). Three or four hospitalizations every month until I was in my early 20s. Then I got healthy, started working out, started paying attention to which foods make me worse - and my asthma was finally under control. Then, I got lazy. Now, 135 pounds heavier, I'm having to crawl my way back to a set of healthy lungs. I forgot how much I hated the oral steroids (Prednisone) and that tight-chested, wheezing, itchy-chin feeling! :-)

It's all about really listening to your body, knowing when its safe to push yourself and when you need to stop. It's amazing how quickly you can increase your endurance, stamina and lung capacity when you work at it.
  • _ting_
    _ting_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi Brian and fellow asthma suffers,

Like ukjessi, I was diagnosed through an emergency visit to the hospital at age 3 or 4. Also have allergies.
    My parents became protective - no running, no over-exertion. Spent a lot of time indoors.
    As a young adult I got more active, started testing the boundaries of my asthma with skiing, cycle touring, and hiking. I only started running in my 30's. Did a couple of 5 and 10 km races (slowly). Also some sprint tri's. As slow as a I was, I still enjoyed them!
    Then I got busy with work and ate a lot of good food, so gained 50-60lbs (ugh!). So now trying to lose the weight and everyone knows that running is one of the best calorie burns.
    Brian - you are an inspiration - I don't know if I'll ever work up to a half or full marathon (although I have a secret dream to do an ironman). Best wishes for the Boston marathon.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Jeannette, and I have asthma. :laugh:

I grew up having to use an inhaler maybe twice a year, then I moved to North Carolina. Since then, in the spring and fall, I'm pounding the inhaler. In the winter, I'm getting up at 3am gasping for air... It sucks. My allergies and sinuses are also suffering. But...I love North Carolina.

For exercise, I can do the elliptical for a bit, but I can bike all day long. If I look at a treadmill, I wheeze. I've tried...I just don't think I'll ever be able to run!
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't Have asthma but I know how it feels to be told you can't do something. I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism and was told I couldn't have any more kids and couldnt lose weight. Oh yes I also had a hysterectomy so I have gone thru menopause Again was told It would be sooooo Much harder to lose weight. Well I have proven everyone wrong by losing 121 pounds and have 55 more to go. I also had a surprise little girl who is now a rambontios 3 year old. Would love to support you on your journey and cheer you on your marathon. Never give up and always defeat the odds. Peace
  • L4dyP4st4
    Options
    Hi all I love this quote reminds me it is possible if you set your mind to it. ...“Successful people don't have fewer problems. They have determined that nothing will stop them from going forward.”
    ― Dr. Ben Carson