So you think you're too fat to be photographed.

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
We're all here to lose (or gain) weight. We hate our pictures.

Please read this. I just spent the weekend looking through thousands of photographs of my family that my sister organized over Christmas. My father, who has serious memory problems, loves looking at them and talking about them.

http://myfriendteresablog.com/so-youre-feeling-too-fat-to-be-photographed/

Replies

• thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can understand this. I *hate* having my photo taken (to the point I took up photography so I had a good excuse to be the other side of the camera) but I've been trying to be better about letting people take my photo these days. I think I was in about 10x more last year then previous 10 put together!

A few years ago my Mum died and I realised I only have about 8 photos of her and only 2 of both of us together and it makes me really sad.
    Now my family have to put up with my pointing my camera at them constantly to get photos as I've realised these are some of the few bits of evidence there'll ever be that an amazing person existed. And don't just take photos and store them on your computer - actually print them. I had more photos of my Mum but my computer hard drive died and I lost them all. These days I make a point of printing as well as backing up to 2 separate places.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Loved this! Thanks for posting :) My mother absolutely refuses to be photographed...I think I have maybe 3 pictures of her somewhere. I've gotten better, but pretty much only because my dad and stepmother make me :laugh:
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I hate it. Very un-photogetic :indifferent: ...but i love the memories, so i make sure I'm still apart of it.
  • sarahannisdennis
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I actually have this link on my photography page. I'm a professional photographer who hates to have their picture taken. I have made a resolution to get in more pictures this year even if I'm not at my ideal weight *yet*.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    What I dont like is when someone randomly takes a photo at a function or sports or whereever and they tag you on Facebook! Its hard to avoid having your pic taken these days
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    What I dont like is when someone randomly takes a photo at a function or sports or whereever and they tag you on Facebook! Its hard to avoid having your pic taken these days

You can change your Facebook settings so you can't be tagged without your permission. I always turn that feature on. It was actually important for my son who rarely uses Facebook and is currently in the Peace Corps. Friends of his put pictures up from college that were just fine in the States (I say that as his Mom) but were very culturally inappropriate where he is stationed. Even Harry Potter is considered dangerous Satanic involvement there. Halloween? I think not.

Interestingly, my sister who is now in MFP began her weight loss because people kept posting pictures of her that were so different from how she thought she looked that she felt she had to change. That wasn't my motivation, but I can understand her sentiment.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Really nice!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    We're all here to lose (or gain) weight. We hate our pictures.

Please read this. I just spent the weekend looking through thousands of photographs of my family that my sister organized over Christmas. My father, who has serious memory problems, loves looking at them and talking about them.

http://myfriendteresablog.com/so-youre-feeling-too-fat-to-be-photographed/

That was one of the most inspiring things I have read for quite some time. You are right about the pictures. I must re-think my stance on lack of photos.
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I love that post. I do photography on the side as a hobby and there are thousands of pics of my kids, hundreds of them with my husband or my parents or ILs. And only a few with my kids and me :( I spent the last 3 years hiding behind my camera because I was too ashamed to be in front of it and now I hardly have pics of myself with my children. 2013 is my year to change that and while losing weight has helped I was bound and determined to be in front of the camera more this year anyway!

Another downside to hardly being in pics (and hiding myself in the ones I was in)? I hardly have any good before pics! Haha!
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow! That makes me feel quite upset :cry: because now I feel quite selfish. A few weeks ago my Mother wanted me to have a professional shoot done and I refused as I don't like my picture being taken and the fat thing also. But now it makes me want to think about having the pictures done just to make her happy :cry:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm still not fond of having my picture taken but I allow it now without complaining. I realized one day while looking at pictures of my kids that there were very few of me with them or with my husband. I if something were to happen to me they would have very few pictures of us together and that made me sad, as I know it would make them sad if it actually happened. So now when we pose for pictures I'm always in them and smiling because my kids won't be thinking about how fat I was, they will be remembering our times together.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options

You can change your Facebook settings so you can't be tagged without your permission. I always turn that feature on. It was actually important for my son who rarely uses Facebook and is currently in the Peace Corps. Friends of his put pictures up from college that were just fine in the States (I say that as his Mom) but were very culturally inappropriate where he is stationed. Even Harry Potter is considered dangerous Satanic involvement there. Halloween? I think not.

Interestingly, my sister who is now in MFP began her weight loss because people kept posting pictures of her that were so different from how she thought she looked that she felt she had to change. That wasn't my motivation, but I can understand her sentiment.

I know you can but people know who I am. The pics still show up on everyones elses page :(