What is your opinion on whey protien powder?

my mom and i are trying to lose weight/eat healthier and i think i remembered somebody on my friends list say something about whey protein powder and i just wanted to know what it was like before we decide to try it out. does it have an odd consistency? does it make you feel fuller for longer? low calorie if any? what do you put it it. is it a meal replacement? Any info provided is much appreciated !!

Replies

• julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    my mom and i are trying to lose weight/eat healthier and i think i remembered somebody on my friends list say something about whey protein powder and i just wanted to know what it was like before we decide to try it out. does it have an odd consistency? does it make you feel fuller for longer? low calorie if any? what do you put it it. is it a meal replacement? Any info provided is much appreciated !!

I bought some and then realised it's really not that great. You can get everything you need from a balanced diet full of protein and let's be honest, the only reason you'd consider whey protein is if you were building muscle. More muscle means you have to eat more anyway! And about it making you fuller for longer, that's never worked for me and I don't think it's the same as a good piece of lean chicken or fish!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    I agree with the above poster. I only use whey protein powder to get my protein up to 150 grams a day if I am not eating enough normally. If you are hitting your protein already, you don't need it.
  • ryuage
    ryuage Posts: 11 Member
    protein powder is a supplement... so it supplements your already existing diet.

There is really nothing magical about it... it's just powdered food.

If you find yourself not hitting your protein requirements and can't stomach more food down... then by all means. Personally, I love to eat too much and rather fill up with a piece of meat rather than a shake.
  • just don't try it if you are lactose intolerant or you'll have diarrhea!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I'm not a fan of whey proteins by themselves, as they are absorbed very quickly. I generally either stick to blended proteins (like Protogen) or Carnivor, which is a beef protein isolate.
  • If you get the right brand its actually either very nice or you just don't taste it. The better the quality the more expensive it is. I use Promax strawberry flavour - you can get it in Boots, Argos, Tesco, Asda etc or straight from the company.. They also do vanilla, chocolate, banana, caffe latte and there is a "natural" flavour that you can add to porridge etc.

I use a hand blender to make up a shake with 1 scoop of the powder, 300 mls semiskimmed milk, 100 g fat free greek yoghurt, some fresh bluberries and then a handful of frozen summer fruit berries. If you want you can add something like Benefibre or porridge oats to add some fibre in as well. It gets you about 40g protein in. There is very little fat in it but you could reduce that even further by using skimmed milk or water.

You can make the whey up in water (not my favourite) or milk. Just be careful though as some people get loose bowel motions when they start it especially with the "diet" form that has sweeteners in it. And I agree with the comment about lactose intolerance!

Am sure other people will have their own favourite brands but the Maximuscle Promax seems to be the most easily available.

Hope this helps.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    I love Jay Robb Whey Protein powder and use fruit and almond milk 2 Tbls of Plain Greek Yogurt. Fast way to get 25 protein
    and only 1 carb while using Stevia for a sweetener. I have it at least once a day usually breakfast it is 110 calories before adding fruit.

I have tried other brands but none used Stevia others use aspartame or
    aka splenda which is poison to me.

The other reasons I chose Jay Robb is because it comes from free range cows in New Zealand and everything in the shake is organic. Jay Robb gives a money back guarantee it is the best tasting Protein shake and
    I agree.

Another Poster said "The better the quality the more expensive it is." I agree with this statement.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    protein powder is a supplement... so it supplements your already existing diet.

There is really nothing magical about it... it's just powdered food.

If you find yourself not hitting your protein requirements and can't stomach more food down... then by all means. Personally, I love to eat too much and rather fill up with a piece of meat rather than a shake.

I hear you. Eating meat is just the most wonderful thing!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    I make hubby a peanut butter smoothie (using whey protein powder, frozen bananas, greek yogurt peanut butter and milk) every day because his doc wanted him to get more protein during his chemo treatments. It's one of the few things that tastes good to him right now.