Friends Getting Tired of Me Talking About Health/Fitness

Ever since I started this health journey, I haven't been able to shut up about it in conversation. I find myself talking about counting calories, burning calories at the gym, what happened at the gym, what I cooked, etc. It's like word-diarrhea! I can't stop! My roommate actually told me I was "obsessed," today. I feel bad because I don't want to drown them in this topic but it's my passion right now. They are all supportive but are getting tired of me talking about it..Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I think this happens with anything someone's into. People who constantly talk about work, video games, what new bar opened up, what's the latest and greatest beer, what cute thing your baby did today and so on. My sister in law has two babies, guess what her Facebook feed is always about. You talk about what your life revolves around so I totally get wanting to talk about food and fitness all the time.
  • _J_en
    _J_en Posts: 40 Member
    Yes and no.

I see friends talk about it too much and can see others getting tired of hearing about it constantly.

I think about it a lot more now and talk about it when people ask about it or are interested, otherwise I keep comments for MFP as that's what we're all here for.

At least your friends and family are supportive :smile:

But keep up with your new passion for health and fitness!! :happy:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    That's what MFP is for. It's peace for your IRL friends.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

this.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Yeah, my friends too! But I have trouble making friends here for some reason....
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Yeah, my friends too! But I have trouble making friends here for some reason....

I made a lot of friends really fast on here. Message boards are a great place to find them- I tend to gravitate toward people with similar goals as me so we'll have something in common to talk about. Everyone here (for the most part) is super friendly.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    I've totally experienced this so I've just stopped talking about it.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Maybe get hooked up with some like minded people? Look at meet up.com, there are nifty hiking groups, and other ways to burn calories with camaraderie, so why not look in to it? I bet they won't mind constant fitness chatter. :happy: ,
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    I have gotten to the point that I do not want to talk about my weight loss or fitness/health with anyone not on MFP. When I started I had MFP updating the evil FB but after I really started losing I started resenting the IRL family and friends who would comment on FB about my weightloss saying things like , ohh you only lost a pound this week? or You shouldn't have had that cheeseburger. They do not know, they do not understand, so i hide in my little underworld of MFP with all my PEEPs who understand and are traveling with me down this lonely highway.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    obsessed=dedicated...........

Come here and let it all out. When ppl are not on the fitness/health wagon they think we are obsessed but really they just don't have the desire or motivation to do it.........
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    I was exactly that way for months when I started out, you eventually get tired of talking about, or at least I did.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I went out for lunch with my sister and some of her friends, and my sister brought up the topic of healthy eating and so on and so forth, and her friends were kind of mocking/making fun of me because I was telling my sister how today was so out of the ordinary for me, because I was basically eating my entire days worth of calories in a single meal.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    welcome to my life! thats why Im so thankful for MFP! :bigsmile: :blushing: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

this.
    ^This
  • Same thing here, I am just trying to keep myself motivated and I am sure that it annoys the crap out of them but oh well. It is not a bad thing to be obsessed with as long as it doesn't cross over into being unhealthy. I say you talk about it all you want just make sure you are making time to listen to whats new with them too, or try and get them to join in recruiting a gym buddy is always a good thing for those days when you really don't want to go.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Hi fara180,

I don't talk about it much.
    Its far more satisfying when someone makes a positive comment and wants to know what I've been doing.
    Just do the hard yard and your body will do the talking for you. People will notice.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member

this.
    ^This

Yep!! :happy:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I have a friend who, a long time ago, lost about 100 lbs. When he was done losing it, he would constantly say, "When I was fat this" or "When I was fat that." It was to the point that I didn't want to talk to him, and I definitely didn't want to congratulate him on his success. He got mad at me one time and asked why I didn't say anything about his weight loss, I told him that he was spending so much time patting himself on the back, he didn't give me time to do the same.

It's because of that experience that I actually make an effort to try and talk about other things unless the subject is brought up by someone else and they ask my opinion. I'm not always waiting for the conversation to turn in to a fitness or weight loss discussion before saying something, but I do make a conscious effort.

MFP is a fantastic place for me to get my fix of talking and learning about fitness and weight loss.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member

What she said! But if you tallk abou tanything too much, it does tend to drive people insane. :)
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Maybe it's because you refer to it as a journey?