Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What kinds of diseases/symptoms are caused from using the sa

Curtism1234
Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Not really a forum for this.
What kinds of diseases/symptoms are caused from using the same water bottle?

Some are going to think this is disgusting and others are going to say they do it too...but I use the same plastic water bottle over and over and over again for a couple months without cleaning it. I just toss it upside down in the cupholder of the car until the next day.

Anyways, what are some diseases that could be picked up from this?
I've had two bouts of ear infections / headaches over the last year and we're just trying to get to the bottom of it. Have you heard if dirty water bottles could be the culprit of a vestibular problem? One would think it would be more of a fever / green apple splatters symptoms though.

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    I'm a water bottle re-user too, so interested in the responses :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I've used the same camelback water bottle for months now and only washed it 2-3 times (only has water, nothing else) and I haven't had an issue with getting sick. Your headaches could be because of your ear infections, and your ear infections could be side effects from any colds/sinus infections you may have had. If you had, that would be the likely culprit IMO. If you haven't had a cold/sinus infection, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Not completely sure. I use a bottle a couples times then pitch it. But I think prolonged use can leach out some of the chemicals in the plastic of the bottle. I would recommend just buying a water bottle that is dishwasher safe and refilling that. If the headaches, other issues stop, then that was the culprit. If not, then you have at least eliminated something. Good luck!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    I heard that if you're going to re-use, to reuse only a couple of times and to wash them.

However, I recently abolished water bottles from the house and now I have a Brita and a large glass that if Im going anywhere just follows me full to the car :D
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I use the same water bottles all the time and never have a problem. Are you using them just for regular, plain, unflavored water? If so, then unless you are having a major backwash problem, then turning them upside down to dry is no different than washing and rinsing them (in water) and letting them dry.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    I'd like to know, too. I've been reusing water bottle for years. They get clean/replaced periodically but they don't get washed. Heck, the thermos I use at worked probably hasn't been washed more than once or twice in the last year. But I ONLY use it for water.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I'm by no means a medical expert but I would think there could be some issues with mold/mildew, especially if you're allergic or sensitive to either. I could definintely see an allergy & exposure to allergen being related to headaches & compromised immune system function (ear infections). Then there's the whole bacteria issue & allowing all the bacteria in your mouth to get into the bottle & then incubate & grow & multiply overnight in the bottle until you refill it. Yeah, doesn't sound great.

That said, I do it, too. Though I rinse the bottle out and clean off the top of it every afternoon after using it and I also leave the cap off of it so it can dry out & I leave it on my desk at work overnight. I also throw it in the dishwasher once every week or 2. I don't know how much those things really help, but maybe they're things you want to consider.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Dirty disposable water bottles can supposedly cause a lot of different things. I have even heard that if you drink from a water bottle that you leave in your car regularly and the plastic gets warm/hot often it can cause cancer - but what doesn't? Water can create mold around the bottle where you place your lips to drink and also in the bottom of the cap, thus possible making you sick. It is a good idea to either wash your bottles or throw them away after a few weeks. Buy a more permanent reusable Nalgene type of water bottle and keep it clean, it's better for you and the environment anyways. Do your research first, there are even countless reasons not to use the specific brand of Nalgene bottles, find out which kinds of reusable bottles are safe for use or that you prefer. You need to watch for things like BPA.
  • Curtism1234
    I have heard in the past that your own bacteria grows on the mouth portion of the bottle and needs to be cleaned.

Also one never knows what nastiness lurks in one's cupholder...
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Depends on a lot of things...the source of your water (tap? bottled? RO? This determines whats in the water to begin with). Heat and moisture cause bacteria and fungus to flourish. Generally if you have a strong immune system you would be able to deal with it, but after a long time some fairly nasty stuff can begin to grow. I see it if I don't wash the dogs water dish after a few days, and that water is kept indoors, cool.

Source of plastic also matters. BPA is an endocrine disruptor, possible carcinogen and even the FDA has (finally) warned about it. Most water bottles are now BPA-free, but if yours is older it may not be. Absolutely don't reuse single plastic water bottles that you buy in the store i.e. Dasani, etc. These are one-time use only.

Best bet ...buy a stainless steel water bottle and rinse it out and/or stick it in the dishwasher.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    why not just wash it? maybe 1 time a week or so.

bacteria from your mouth alone is enough reason. Not to include mold.

You might be putting your immune system at risk every time you put it to your mouth and it may get worse as times goes on.

I know my sons originally clean fish bowl with no fish ever living in it became algae and fungus infested. I would think a dirty water bottle would form the same type of fungus. imho
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    The general consensus from what I've read and seen on TV is that you are NOT supposed to continually refill disposable plastic water bottles (i.e., Aquafina, Dasani, etc.). These are not made to be used over and over again as the chemicals that comprise the bottle begin to break down after repeated use and when washing and/ or drying at high temperatues. This causes chemicals to leech into the water that you are drinking and in some instances may be linked to cancer (particularly breast cancer).
    Personally, I am one to re-use a bottle for a couple of days, but because of what I read, I never wash the bottles and I get rid of them after 2, maybe 3 days max.
  • Curtism1234
    Sounds like I just need to go to Walmart and pick up a half dozen dishwasher safe bottles regardless if the disposables are causing my issues.

I've yet to read on here or on an internet search of what specific diseases you can pick up from bacteria (aside from cancer from plastic toxins).

Oh well
  • I have access through work, so I don't know if you can see this article: http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.012809.103714

Reusable bottles:
    "As a result, reusable water bottles, baby bottles, and the inner linings of food cans, all made by using BPA, are known to leach the controversial monomer into food over time, particularly at elevated temperatures (12, 54, 82, 86). "

Disposable bottles"
    "Polyethylene terephthalate [PET or PETE (SPI #1)] is frequently used in the United States and other countries for the manufacture of synthetic fibers (polyester) and disposable soda and water bottles. ... Although it does not represent a noteworthy source of contaminants, some reports have indicated that leaching of plastics' components into beverages from PET can occur (10, 24, 93, 96, 118). Traces of DEHP have been detected in mineral water after nine months of storage in PET bottles (10). "
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Sounds like I just need to go to Walmart and pick up a half dozen dishwasher safe bottles regardless if the disposables are causing my issues.

I've yet to read on here or on an internet search of what specific diseases you can pick up from bacteria (aside from cancer from plastic toxins).

Oh well

Well, I've seen more than that mentioned --
    1. Bacterial infections -- Even MD's just call them "bacterial infections" for the most part -- it's not usually necessary to know what KIND of bacteria it is. If your body is reacting to something like it regularly reacts to a large amount of bacteria, most MD's prescribe an antibiotic. This kills the bacteria. ALL bacteria -- even GOOD bacteria in your digestive tract.
    2. Allergic reactions to mold/mildew

Both of those can easily cause headaches and compromise your immune system to a point other infections happen (like your ear infections).
This discussion has been closed.