Weighing Protein

karenpeb
karenpeb Posts: 23
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
What are your thoughts on weighing food portions BEFORE or AFTER cooking?

Meat seems to lose weight and size after it's cooked so which is better?

698711.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    I weigh my meat/fish raw unless it's ground meat - only because if I make ground meat it's usually for the whole family. If I consume ground meat I make sure I find the listing in the food diary for cooked ground meat because as you said, it loses a lot of volume in the cooking.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I weigh my meat after it's cooked because of the water/fat it loses during the cooking process. That, and I see it as me eating the finished product, not the pre-cooked :wink:
  • karenpeb
    I buy the 7% fat Ground Beef, but as it's cooking I'm smashing the heck out of it and it's releasing all the water and remaining fat out of the meat. It makes a big difference in what it weighs before and after cooking.

I got some New York steaks and this slab of meat weighed 15 ounces before cooking. After removing the fat and cooking it on the stove the weight of the meat was reduced by a lot.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    I wonder if the calorie counts would still be the same for that same piece of meat...

If it's 15oz raw and let's say 10oz cooked...are the cals the same??
  • I wonder if the calorie counts would still be the same for that same piece of meat...

If it's 15oz raw and let's say 10oz cooked...are the cals the same??

Good Question! If all it lost was water, then yes calories are still the same. But it probably lost fat too, judging by how much I have to scrub off burnt goo off the George Foreman.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    I would say weigh your food cooked. After all, that's how you're going to eat it, isn't it? :smile:
  • karenpeb
    I've been weighing it after cooked so I guess I'll keep doing that.

Thanks guy for the responses.
This discussion has been closed.