Teacher's Day

Options
2»

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    In my school district all the teachers drive better cars than I do, so they can get me something.

I hope i'm not your kids' teacher.
  • willisda
    willisda Posts: 2,251 Member
    Options
    Gift cards. Although appreciative for any gift, I have way too many mugs that I have been given and don't drink either coffee or tea.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love kleenex, pencils, paper, colored paper, card stock, and glue sticks. These are all things I end up buying out of my own pocket for my class.
  • CaroleePickett
    Options
    Anything is greatly appreciated. I have taught for 35 years, mostly in Title I at risk schools. A card showing that I have made a difference means the world to me!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when I get a bunch of candy/junk food because I don't eat it. I prefer to get supplies that I can use for the classroom and the students. Ask your child what the teacher likes. My students would tell their parents diet coke and different colored pens.
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    I'm a 4th grade teacher and this past Christmas, I gave CASH to all the teachers at my daughter's preschool - which they LOVED. I always either give CASH or GIFT CARDS (Amazon, TARGET, etc.) because I want people to have the option to buy what THEY want. If I go the gift card route, I always make small talk (with the person) and figure out what stores they like FIRST before I buy them. If they love going to the movies, it will be a movie gift card. So, when in doubt, I say cash or gift cards.

But for me - not from Starbucks. I'm not a coffee drinker. And I always make a point of saying, "I don't drink coffee" and what do I get? A Starbucks gift card, which I end up giving to my husband. So, please first find out what people like!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I teach high school, and we don't celebrate teacher appreciation day... sigh...

Probably not as common at the preschool level, but the most meaningful gifts I've received over the years are letters from my students, especially as they graduate or shortly thereafter. I still have the first one I ever received framed in my office...

I would probably shy away from things that are for the teacher him/herself, such as candy, coffee, tea, music boxes and other desk googaws. baked goods, ipads, new cars, etc. You never know about allergies, diet preferences, dislike for coffee, organizational and clutter issues, etc. While the sentiment will be appreciated, you're often left with a gift you don't want but don't feel you can get rid of cluttering your desk, or trying to find someone who will drink that awful tea from some obscure, distant land.

On the other hand, most teachers spend far more of their own money on classroom supplies than are allowed to be deducted from their taxes. Check the supply list they request people to bring at the beginning of school - those are great gift ideas. Throw in antibacterial hand gel, airborne, etc, and that will be good. If you want the teacher to have something for himself, go with gift cards.