are smoothies bad like people say?

Options
I always hear people telling me smoothies are not actually very healthy and too full of sugar. I drink one usually for breakfast and I'll also make one later on in the day if im craving one or have a big sweet tooth! Usually i just use ice, a little bit of plain yogurt and a mix of a bunch of fresh and frozen fruits and sometimes a splash of oj. Are the ingredients i'm using really making an unhealthy smoothie?
Also what other little snacks do you guys use when you got a big sweet tooth!
Thanks!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Unless you are making a 3000 calorie smoothie, I'd say it's likely that you're fine. Whatever gets you through the day.

That being said, you could probably find more filling ways to spend the calories being taken up by that smoothie. Up to you though.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's bad, but I'd personally do one a day due to the sugar content.

I dehydrate gala apples. I bought sugar free gum and sugar free mints to get me through my sweet tooth moments. I do occasionally have a cookie or half a slice of cake.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Would there be a reason combining those in a blender made them bad, as opposed to adding fruit to yogurt and having some oj?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'd have a smoothie every morning if I could. They're perfectly healthy. People that say it's bad because of sugar are like those that say carbs are bad. Sugar isn't bad & carbs aren't bad - it's about whether they are natural or processed. Fruit has a bunch of nutrients that your body needs. Try & eat as whole as possible & you'll be good.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I personally have one a day. I don't care if it has sugar, it's all natural sugar that comes with many other health benefits. I use a no-fat, low-cal yogurt (mostly just because it's one of the only types I like) and almond milk to thin it out. Then fresh/frozen fruit.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy to be unaware of serving sizes when throwing things in a blender. Smoothies can be pretty high in calories and sugar (sugar is sugar in the end). While someone would probably not drink 2 glasses of water, 1 orange, 1 banana, 1 cup of strawberries, 1/2 cup of blue berries, and 1/2 of yogurt in one sitting it's not an issue to blend 16oz of ice, 6oz orange juice, and the above fruit/yogurt and drink it.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Smoothie places aren't healthy.
    I make mine at home or buy from vegan places that only use organic
    fresh produce.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    A smoothie only has as much sugar as the ingredients you put in it. If it's complex carbs in fruits and such, who cares? Your body processes those differently than refined carbs (from what I understand). So you mush the fruit in the blender instead of chewing it yourself. And? I don't see what the fuss is about. Point is, you're getting raw fruit into your system. Good on you. Definitely beats soft drinks or commercial "juice drinks" and whatnot. :smile:
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I make my smoothies at home. I use chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder and mix it with fruit I have on hand. I sometimes make green smoothies that are really good, too. I know you have to be careful as they can be high calorie. It is easy to keep adding to them. Homemade smoothies are the best. At least you know what goes in them.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a smoothie assuming you're not putting bad stuff in it. If all the ingredients are good, then the final product is good. Like others have stated, if you find that you are still hungry, you might consider food over the smoothie but otherwise enjoy!
  • hannahjanemiles
    Options
    The only problem with smoothies is that the amylase (an enzyme in saliva) cannot readily break down the sugars in the fruit. Because of this, the sugar isn't metabolised properly and can become "bad sugar". I say that in parenthesis as unrefined, pure sugar from fruit isn't as "bad" as the refined sugars from the store. You also lose the fibrous quality of the fruit. BUT, having said all that, having a few a week is no bad thing!
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I always hear people telling me smoothies are not actually very healthy and too full of sugar. I drink one usually for breakfast and I'll also make one later on in the day if im craving one or have a big sweet tooth! Usually i just use ice, a little bit of plain yogurt and a mix of a bunch of fresh and frozen fruits and sometimes a splash of oj. Are the ingredients i'm using really making an unhealthy smoothie?
    Also what other little snacks do you guys use when you got a big sweet tooth!
    Thanks!

lolno. you're fine. just log it like anything else. :smile:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The only problem with smoothies is that the amylase (an enzyme in saliva) cannot readily break down the sugars in the fruit. Because of this, the sugar isn't metabolised properly and can become "bad sugar". I say that in parenthesis as unrefined, pure sugar from fruit isn't as "bad" as the refined sugars from the store. You also lose the fibrous quality of the fruit. BUT, having said all that, having a few a week is no bad thing!

Sugar is not bad.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Sugar is not bad.

also, the blender you're dumping the whole fruit into doesn't work on a molecular level. the fiber from the fruit doesn't just magically disappear because it's now a liquid instead of a solid.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Sugar is not bad.

also, the blender you're dumping the whole fruit into doesn't work on a molecular level. the fiber from the fruit doesn't just magically disappear because it's now a liquid instead of a solid.

Think she got blenders and juicers confused, with juicing you lose the fiber.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If they are tracked and accounted for in your calories, they aren't bad. If you have a 400 calorie smoothie, it should probably be a meal.

If you are eating high calorie smoothies as a snack or on top of a regular set of meals/cals, THEN that's a problem.

If you really want to make them healthy, add leaves into them.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I treat my smoothies like anything else. I weight what I put into it, and log it into MFP so I know what I'm putting in my body.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If they are tracked and accounted for in your calories, they aren't bad. If you have a 400 calorie smoothie, it should probably be a meal.

If you are eating high calorie smoothies as a snack or on top of a regular set of meals/cals, THEN that's a problem.

If you really want to make them healthy, add leaves into them.

The smoothie I make is about 550 and it's no meal. It's cause I love it! :)
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    no its not bad and even the sugar isnt unless you have a health issue if its natural from fruit. I am over always in sugar but a registered dietician told me never to worry about it I add protein often to mine
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Wait, who says all smoothies are bad? That's kind of a blanket statement, there's a million different ways to make a smoothie. If you buy a smoothie from a store and have no idea what's in it, chances are it's a lot worse for you than you think because they'll add a bunch of crap to make it taste better. Smoothies are only as healthy as the ingredients that go into it are.