Liquid Foods?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
Hi, so within a year or so I may be getting my wisdom teeth removed, which means bye bye solid food for a little while! I was just curious as to what I should eat that I wouldn't have to chew but would still be more nutritious than ice cream all day, which is what both of my brothers lived off of following their surgery. I've had some ideas, but it would be fantastic if I could get ideas to further build upon my list, and do you think these are good decisions?
Creamy peanut butter (protein and fat)
Greek yogurt (protein and calcium)
Low sodium v8 (vitamins)
Perhaps a kale smoothie if I get a good blender by then
Apple sauce (closest thing to fruit available)
Well that sums up my rather short list .-.
Would meal replacement shakes be healthy during this time period?
It's just so hard to be nutritious while still getting 1,630 calories (to maintain) from liquids x.x
Did anyone else have to go through this?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes would be a good addition. You might want to start trying some now to find one that you like if you're going to have to be using them quite a bit at that time. Nothing like having your teeth out and realizing that you're stuck with something that makes you want to hurl from the taste/texture until you can get to a store.
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Other options are:
    * soup (like thick liquids soups as watery broths might not be filling and chunky sounds obviously are not good)
    * scrambled egg
    * meal replacement drinks
    * mashed potato (and other veges like pumpkin, carrots, parsnip, etc)

I did not have to go without solid food for very long. There are quite a lot of soft foods that can be eaten with biting with your front teeth and not chewing using your molars.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Just be careful you don't get dry socket. Follow docs orders EXACTLY.

You shouldn't have to be on mush for very long. I had four of mine taken out at once and I was eating solid foods again pretty quickly.
  • acampadonia
    Options
    You might be surprised - I got my munchers out and I was healed up within 4 days.

I would add a low calorie protein shake, some raw eggs, green tea, and anything soft like the suggestions made earlier.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I had all four of mine out at once. Horizontally impacted and full of suck, but even at that, it didn't take long to get back on to soft/solid food.

Mashed potato / sweet potato
    Protein shakes
    Tuna
    Hummus
    Boiled/scrambled eggs

those were just a few winners for me.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried multiple protein shakes before and absolutely loved each one I tried! However, as bad as I know it is, I don't really exercise >.> My mom saw the protein shakes and told me if I didn't exercise they would make me gain weight... is that true? I thought it just came down to calories, but I guess not in her or my older brother's eyes :P
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried multiple protein shakes before and absolutely loved each one I tried! However, as bad as I know it is, I don't really exercise >.> My mom saw the protein shakes and told me if I didn't exercise they would make me gain weight... is that true? I thought it just came down to calories, but I guess not in her or my older brother's eyes :P
    if you maintain a caloric deficit, then no... you won't gain weight.
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had all 3 wisdom teeth pulled on the same day and had no problems eating solid foods. this was approx. 24 years ago and the dentists have come a long way since then. Anyways in the event that you do need to stay away from solids, for a while. I would invest in the nutri bullet. It is a fantastic little machine, comes with a receipe book with lots of smoothie receipes and very nutrious. I use mine every single day. anyways good luck.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I agree, protien shakes are a low calorie option for a meal replacement. I may be wrong and I am sure someone will point it out if I am, but when I read the labels, the protien shakes seem to be a healthier, lower sugar alternative to other meal replacement shakes.