I'm shocked at all the calories I'm consuming.

Options

Replies

• x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    restaurants always surprise me. I can make the same thing at home with 1/2 the calories.

OH and pasta! Its loaded.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I joined almost 2 weeks ago and I flipped out when I plugged in the Club Tuna sandwich from Jimmy Johns on the multi-grain bread...like over 900 freakin calories and 45+ grams of fat! I work right over a Jimmy Johns and have been eating that stupid sandwich for damn near 1x or 2x/week for 9 months!! I am disgusted!! I won't step foot in that place now. I just assumed tuna, cucumber, tomato, some cheese can't be that unhealthy. Well duh - it's laden in mayo.

I'm in true love with this app. It's one of the most empowering things I've done in a long time...maybe that sounds pathetic but it's true! I love how I'm more motivated to workout to "earn" more calories. I'm competitive by nature and when the cold hard numbers are there it pains me to see red!

There's days where I was under on my calorie intake and I wasn't even hungry at the end of the day and I'm left wondering if I should eat more so that I don't bonk during my workout the next day?? I've gone over on my calories 3 days so far. My biggest challenge right now is getting my fat and protein intake lower. While I'm often under my calorie and carb goal, I'm ALWAYS over on protein and often on fat...and I'm not sure how to fix that. I have low blood sugar but not diagnosed as hypoglycemia. If I don't eat protein I get sick (weak, etc.). And also, what can I say - I was raised on milk, meat and potatoes. I've been working on portion size, but still going over on the protein. On the bright side I am eating more veggies and fruit (subscribed to one of those food delivery companies that delivers a box of fresh organic fruit and veggies each week and it's really helping).

Thanks to posters for the almond milk idea. I just can't have my oatmeal in the morning without 1% milk. I absolutely hate skim. I'm going to try the almond milk in oatmeal and coffee.

Something to consider: You can adjust your protein and fat values. There is nothing wrong with getting more protein. Many people actually recommend a more equal distribution than MFP automatically allots. I go with 40% carbs 35% protein and 25% fat. That's where I feel best. You just go into goals, food, customize.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you should swap the cereal out for oatmeal in the mornings! i like a huge breakfast and it takes a LOT of food to fill me up. my breakfast oatmeal is 409 calories total. that is 2 servings of oatmeal (its a ton of food) cooked in half almond milk half water, and banana.

you can do tons of things with oatmeal too, much tastier than cereal :)
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    It is truly amazing to me how few calories I really need. The Standard American Diet contains way too many calories! We need to eat more like people in other parts of the world -- many more vegetables, less meat, and greatly reduce the processed foods and junk foods! I have lost 172 pounds since August of 2011, and am stalled out at my current weight (still need to lose at least 40 pounds), because, even on healthy foods, I am still getting too many calories, obviously. They add up so fast!

if you are so worried about what other countries are eating you should go to them ....and eat there....America does NOT need to model itself on other countries. Other countries model themselves after us.

I think you'd struggle to find a single country trying to model itself after your obesity epidemic actually.

Pathetic comment.
  • AnelDB
    AnelDB Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Kappy Blue, I took it right off the box.

The serving size they use is 1/4 cup. Well my bowl of cereal is one cup. If it is 120 calories for 1/4 cup/ times that by 4 and you get 480.

Then you add in the calories for the milk. Well that is only 1 cup as well. 1 cup of milk was 120 calories... that was 600.

So maybe I'm a big eater... but one cup = 8 oz. 8 oz of cereal and 8 oz of milk is not a huge meal. Like I said, I was surprised by the Calories.

I agree, cereal is a killer! I stick with embellished oatmeal because I need to eat a BIG bowl of cereal to feel full for a while.
    Calories do hide in some crazy spots, and I don't like buying "light" foods. Fruits and veggies is where its at!
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this advice. I'm going to see what I'm averaging on protein and think about increasing it. I've never tracked #s and have been trying to follow MFP recommendations but I haven't researched the accuracy of what it is telling me.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Kappy Blue, I took it right off the box.

The serving size they use is 1/4 cup. Well my bowl of cereal is one cup. If it is 120 calories for 1/4 cup/ times that by 4 and you get 480.

Then you add in the calories for the milk. Well that is only 1 cup as well. 1 cup of milk was 120 calories... that was 600.

So maybe I'm a big eater... but one cup = 8 oz. 8 oz of cereal and 8 oz of milk is not a huge meal. Like I said, I was surprised by the Calories.
    Try Cheerios, the serving size for them is one cup and it's only 100 calories. If you want them sweet, try Stevia In The Raw. I have this and either 1/2 cup of 1% milk or 1/2 cup of Almond milk. It's really good.
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I shutter to think about how many calories I USED to consume in a day, before I started eating healthy and counting calories. It had to be 3,000-4000 calories a day with all the fast food, processed food, junk food and soda pop I would consume. Yikes!

THIS is me!

And I'm so glad I'm not alone with the shock of how quickly calories can add up! I'm still not where I need to be when it comes to food choices, but I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be!!! And at least now when I over-eat, I understand exactly what I'm doing... I had no idea until August when I got into MFP again. It's a wonder I didn't weigh at least 50 lbs more than I did! And now if/when I gain: I know EXACTLY why...
  • plumeaux
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I really do not each much. 3 or 4 times a day. Smaller meals. I am so shocked at how many calories are in the foods that I'm eating. Really, a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is 400 calories.... a bowl of KIX cereal.. a real bowl of 1 cup of cereal with 2% milk is over 600 calories. I guess I'm really going to need help choosing low calorie foods. I'm headed to the nutritionist next week. Thanks for listening.

I'm shocked that a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich is ONLY 400 calories!!

Just wanted to say that it is awesome on this site, there is heaps of support and heaps of great people who can share their diary with you too!!
  • Ange0NZ
    Ange0NZ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    if you are so worried about what other countries are eating you should go to them ....and eat there....America does NOT need to model itself on other countries. Other countries model themselves after us.

@kamiAK. The pride you have for your country is very admirable. Totally disagree with your last comment though. Rather biased and definitely doesn't belong on this website where people from all walks of life are trying to mingle and help each other work toward a healthier lifestyle.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It is truly amazing to me how few calories I really need. The Standard American Diet contains way too many calories! We need to eat more like people in other parts of the world -- many more vegetables, less meat, and greatly reduce the processed foods and junk foods! I have lost 172 pounds since August of 2011, and am stalled out at my current weight (still need to lose at least 40 pounds), because, even on healthy foods, I am still getting too many calories, obviously. They add up so fast!

Wow, I can't figure out if that pride for your country is admirable or closed minded! America has a HUGE probelm when it comes to diet and lack of exercise, most developed countries do and we could ALL learn from the more healthy populations around the globe, or heck even back in time.
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Holy Troll, Batman! :noway:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The less refined your cereal the better. I have oatibix minis if I don't have time for porridge and they keep me full - I always weigh cereal because its so easy to go over.

I also use a bread which is quite high in calories (Vogel) but this is because it has linseed etc. in it. The slices are small - so you need less filling - but its really satisfying and again keeps me full. (The first time I made a sandwich with it I thought I'd need something extra - I was so wrong!)

Ready-made sandwiches are generally higher in calories because of the full fat mayo- and they tend to be generously filled. Make your own using tuna in spring water (not oil, and not the whole tin), half fat mayo, lots of salad and no cheese and you'll come out much lower calorie-wise.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Cereals are generally not that good for you and most are full of sugar, even the 'healthy' variety. Also, the 30g recommended portion is pitiful! I now eat porridge, and omelettes at the weekend.

I know what you mean though, my biggest shock was pasta and rice. I used to eat pasta as a main meal at least once a week, I haven't touched it in ages now.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I shutter to think about how many calories I USED to consume in a day, before I started eating healthy and counting calories. It had to be 3,000-4000 calories a day with all the fast food, processed food, junk food and soda pop I would consume. Yikes!

meant to type "I shudder to think..."
  • c_burneau
    Options
    I never knew how much was in the food i was eating and i didn't really change the food i changed the product..this morning i had half a sported whole grain muffins 1 egg 1 slice of cheese and 1 reduced bacon from Costco. and a glass of milk 1% milk and only totalled to 317 calories.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    I bought a food scale the other day and almost had a heart attack at what really was a serving size or what actually 3 oz of meat looked like. Also, yesterday I didn't have anything thawed out and was kind of in a rush so I made hamburger helper and I measured that out with a measuring cup. I couldn't believe what a cup of that crap was!! And after the last month of eating healthy, the hamburger helper didn't taste good at all!! And my son, kept spitting it out, lol. He stuck to his crackers and fruit and had an oatmeal bar.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I picked up an iced tea today, logged the whole bottle and realized that just one bottle is DOUBLE my allotted amount of sugar for the day! Absolutely insane. Logging is definitely making me think before i consume. Drank half the bottle and put the rest in the fridge. Thought about throwing it out.
    Cheesey saying alert - Is it better going to waste than going on your waist?
  • mtina79
    Options
    I had an Applebee's chicken fajita rollup. I thought-- chicken, veggies, wrap, good right?? ... 1040 calories!!!!!!!!!!! I was floored!! Thats almost my whole calorie goal FOR THE DAY!!!