fat burn on....

Options
The elliptical machines at my gym says 'fat burn= low intensity ... cardio=high intensity ' .. the low intensity for fat burn doesn't make sense to me.....has anyone found it to be true for them?

Replies

• leanhulk
    Options
    The elliptical machines at my gym says 'fat burn= low intensity ... cardio=high intensity ' .. the low intensity for fat burn doesn't make sense to me.....has anyone found it to be true for them?

that is correct, low intensity taps into stored fat for energy but in order to do that you need to do at least 45mins... you're better off doing HIIT for fat burn...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Substrate utilization during exercise is largely irrelevant. Although the body switches to carbohydrates as a primary energy source at higher levels of aerobic intensity, there's also a larger calorie burn, therefore more calories burned from fat because fat is still utilized to some extent.

If you burn 100 calories in 30 minutes at a very low intensity and 80% of them are from fat (hypothetically speaking), you'd burn 80 fat calories (along with 20 additional calories from carbs). If you worked at a higher intensity and burned 300 calories during that same 30 minutes and 30% of the calories burned were from fat, you burned 90 fat calories (along with 210 additional calories from carbs). So in reality, you burned 10 more fat calories and 190 additional calories by working at the higher intensity level.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Substrate utilization during exercise is largely irrelevant. Although the body switches to carbohydrates as a primary energy source at higher levels of aerobic intensity, there's also a larger calorie burn, therefore more calories burned from fat because fat is still utilized to some extent.

If you burn 100 calories in 30 minutes at a very low intensity and 80% of them are from fat (hypothetically speaking), you'd burn 80 fat calories (along with 20 additional calories from carbs). If you worked at a higher intensity and burned 300 calories during that same 30 minutes and 30% of the calories burned were from fat, you burned 90 fat calories (along with 210 additional calories from carbs). So in reality, you burned 10 more fat calories and 190 additional calories by working at the higher intensity level.

Bump!
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    Anvil- thank you! That makes complete sense. I guess when I saw that on the machine I was like'hmmmmmm' cuz I burn between 600-700 cals in an hour at a decently intense level. But haven't seen much visible results and I guess that's why. Thank you for the explanation!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Anvil for the win..nice breakdown!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

If you burn 100 calories in 30 minutes at a very low intensity and 80% of them are from fat (hypothetically speaking), you'd burn 80 fat calories (along with 20 additional calories from carbs). If you worked at a higher intensity and burned 300
    during that same 30 minutes and 30% of the calories burned were from fat, you burned 90 fat calories (along with 210 additional calories from carbs). So in reality, you burned 10 more fat calories and 190 additional calories by working at the higher intensity level.

This

end_thread-1_zps0fa126ce.jpg