belly dancers

Options
Hello all! I'm new here on mfp and was just wondering if there are any belly dancers out here. I'm just a "baby" dancer, only been doing it for 1 1/2 years but I love it. If you've never done it but always wanted to try I encourage you to. Its great fun! If your out there and want a new friend on here, add me.

Replies

• DawnNewton
    DawnNewton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Belly Dancing is so much fun. I like to do a lot of different exercises so every other week I do Belly Dancing and just love it!:smile:
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Are there any good free online belly dance routine videos? I went to a few lessons years ago and enjoyed it then :)
  • dancinnik
    Options
    I dont know about free ones but I do know netflix has a bunch of them. Ive gotten a few of them and they are pretty good but id rather take classes, that way I know I'm doing the moves right and just having a good time with friends!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Only problem is I live in South Korea so finding a class would be really hard and then I would have a language barrier as well.
  • dancinnik
    Options
    So because I'm bored and can't sleep ( its 3 am) I looked up classes and found a website for you, it looks like everything is in Seoul. Of course I dont know if that is where you are or even close to you. I would say the first 2 on the list speak english so language wouldn't be a problem.
    Www.bellydanceclasses.net/korea-south
    Best of luck!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I love bellydancing. I am looking for some good dvds with drills. I used to enjoy cabaret style/Egyptian, but I am now drawn more toward Tribal Fusion. I love the articulated moves with the pops and locks and isolations.

I did take a few classes with Suhaila about 10 years ago, and the dancers I enjoyed the most didn't merge all of the locks in a continuous flow. They would squeeze, squeeze, squeeze with a lot of different locks/isolations. I LOVE that!
  • dancinnik
    Options
    Right now my intrest is mostly with the traditional egyptian style, I'm not a "natural-born" dancer so its hard for me to learn the moves and get them into a proper dance. BUT I do love the ffusion style and costumes! They are much more individual and unique.
    I have only been taking classes for awhile but as long as my hips still work I will keep at it.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    is belly dancing suitable for someone with no dance style at all? I am keen on trying this!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I love bellydancing. I am looking for some good dvds with drills. I used to enjoy cabaret style/Egyptian, but I am now drawn more toward Tribal Fusion. I love the articulated moves with the pops and locks and isolations.

I did take a few classes with Suhaila about 10 years ago, and the dancers I enjoyed the most didn't merge all of the locks in a continuous flow. They would squeeze, squeeze, squeeze with a lot of different locks/isolations. I LOVE that!

Suhaila kicks *kitten*. Level 3.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I don't live in Berkeley, so I only took classes up to Level 2. I was unemployed at the time, and then I found a job. I love the Level 3 dancers! I sure wish she offered classes in the Sacramento area.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love belly dance. I might get some of the Suhalia dvds, I love her dancing. Can you get some dvds and play them in Korea? I suggest looking on youtube and seeing which dancer's style you like and then seeing if she has a dvd out.
  • anngarzon
    Options

Rachel Brice and Zoe Jakes have some great DVD's and are easy to follow. Sera Solstice also has a great DVD and I also love Ariellah.
  • dancinnik
    Options
    is belly dancing suitable for someone with no dance style at all? I am keen on trying this!

Any one can belly dance! In one class age ranged from 10 to 73 I think she was. I've been in classes with men. And i'm not very good! I was 41 when I started and had never danced outside my house before! Its great for self-confidence. Last summer I was able to overcome and perform onstage at a couple of local fairs. It also helps to find an instructor who you click with, that encourages you. Give it a try, you might just enjoy it!