What do you tell yourself to keep you from quitting?

Options

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it any more. I just do it as part of a habit. Everything we do to lose weight is a choice. I've made the choice to go to the gym no matter how I feel. I've made the choice to eat healthier options even if it means I'm going to spend hours more in the kitchen each week. Push yourself through the first month. It is difficult, but don't worry about the scale that much. Establish healthy habits first and then it won't seem so difficult to lose the weight, it will happen as a side effect of better habits.

One of my favorite quotes:

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. - Wayne Dyer

You own your choices.
  • clairehepple72
    clairehepple72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm only a week in and I'm SO tired of counting calories, and so defeated by how much good eating and exercise it actually takes to lose a lb... Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I feel like just giving up. But I won't, because I'm in this for the long haul and I know there are gonna be ups and downs. My question to you is: what do you do when you feel like this? How do you pick yourself up from such a slump?

I tell myself I was fat and unhealthy and had no stamina......I am off to Miami and Key West in September and don't want to be tired I want to explore. I have a goal and the best way to keep motivated is to have one for yourself.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! You are young, and if you get healthy now, and develop habits that will last you a lifetime you will go a long way to avoiding some of the things that often go along with being overweight as you get older. Things like diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and joint problems are often mentioned here as reasons for losing weight and exercising. I know. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and was always very healthy. Then I hit 55! I really wish I'd found MFP at least a few years ago. The media (and most likely your friends and family and sometimes even doctors) have a constant stream of instant fixes, and it can be very confusing, but rest assured you are in the right place. Create a small caloric deficit, get active and you will eventually lose, feel great and be healthy. Best of luck!
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's incredibly intimidating when you step on the scale and truly realize the amount of weight that you need to lose. In 2011 I weighed in and realized I had to lose an entire person! I tracked what I ate and then slowly added exercise. In 8 months I lost 60lbs!! I think that once you see the scale moving in the right direction and you increase your exercise capabilities you build motivation. Truly success breeds success! Anyway in 2012 I gained a bunch back so I've come back and recommitted. I want to blame stress, or a busy schedule, or school but I know that I gained my weight back because I stopped tracking. I ate too much and exercised too little. This time when I started back with MFP I actually gained weight in my first month!! It was so frustrating. But I told myself that I was ultimately healthier. My heart and body was better for my healthy habbits and that soon the scale would follow through. Now things are moving in the right direction.

Don't focus too much on the scale. If counting calories is too intimidating now and frustrating start slower. Start week 1 with drinking the proper amount of water. Week 2 add in eating the proper amou ts of vegetables. You get the drift. Eventually it will become second nature. I once read a quote on someone's wall: a year from now you'll wish you started today. It really hit home. So when I waver and get bored or stressed or frustrated (with my goal of losing >100lbs) I think of how happy I am to be doing something now and look forward to seeing how I'll look in a year's time!

Finally look for supportive friends on this website. I love the community if people here. You can build such a great support system. You'll be able to celebrate your victories and support each other through your slip ups. You can find so much motivation with your MFP friends. I'm super thankful for mine!

Hope this helps! You aren't alone :o)
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm only a week in and I'm SO tired of counting calories, and so defeated by how much good eating and exercise it actually takes to lose a lb... Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I feel like just giving up. But I won't, because I'm in this for the long haul and I know there are gonna be ups and downs. My question to you is: what do you do when you feel like this? How do you pick yourself up from such a slump?

Well, you're only a week in and it takes time to change old habits. Personally, when 'm feeling discouraged I come here and log in to MFP and read all the success stories and advice. Just seeing how other people have stuck with it and made such amazing transformations is enough to motivate me.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Misssmarita, you are very young and have your whole life ahead of you. You can do this! Just keep taking it one day at a time. Do not give up. It is not easy, but we are all worth the effort that it takes to be healthier. Try not to get discouraged. Set small goals and relish each small milestone. They add up very quickly if you persevere. Take inspiration from the success stories here and one day others will be inspired by you!

I am 61 years old, old enough to be your grandmother, and if I can do it, anyone can. One year ago, I would never have believed that I would be where I am today.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Well, I need to gain muscle without gaining much access fat that I already have from muscle loss....but I use how my body looks now and how I feel about it when I look at it. I compare to what it use to be and think about what it takes and that it's worth it. I imagine myself getting the clothes I've always wanted to wear, sexy things, tighter clothes, costumes I want to wear, confidence, health and happiness. I remind myself to be realistic and that it won't come easy. I find that if I keep telling myself that it won't long, that I'm only kidding myself and setting myself up for failure and disappointment. When I'm realistic with myself, I won't be so disappointment if I haven't built any muscle and lost any fat in a certain amount of time. I picture my body how I'd love it to look and how I want to feel about myself. I think of my amazing boyfriend and how happier he will be when I'm happier. The intimate times will be much better because I'll feel comfortable in my skin and be finally able to be truly sexy not only for him, but for myself as well...

Like that old saying: "This isn't going to be easy....if it was, everyone would be doing it and everyone would be in amazing shape. It takes work, there is no easy way out of it. It's called a workout for a reason. No work = no results."
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures and that motivates me... plus, going to the doctors is another!
    I read this somewhere one time:
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice any changes,
    It takes 8 weeks for family and friends to notice,
    It takes 12 weeks for the the rest of the world to notice!

I tell myself: If I don't start now, it will never happen. If I fall, I pick back up and start again.
  • elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like the saying I picked up off here and it rings so true. Pick Your Hard....... Being overweight is hard to look good in clothes, hard to move, and hard on your health with different disease processes. Dieting is hard... Saying no and walking away is hard, counting calories is hard, exercise SUCKS.... Pick Your Hard
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I went jogging this morning it was 25 degrees, dark, and snowy. about 1 mile into my run I say a stop sign. My mind said don't stop. :) (Of course I stopped at the intersection) but the mental image was good enough, I also jogged passed a donut shop twice. :)
  • LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ive realised just how much i overate "before" i've been using this site for 20 days, and I have logged everything that I have eaten, and whilst I have found it hard, I am seeing results, which is a 9.5lb loss so far! That is what is stopping me from quitting, the fact that it is working, and i am still enjoying all of the foods i love, chocolate, chinese, wine etc... just not half as much as before. You can do this, the fact that you are on here shows that you want to.

33642279.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What I tell everyone is, focus on the actions, not the results. The results are only the rewards for putting in the action. You can do it! :happy:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    "Time will pass either way, may as well make it count."

"Even slow or minimal effort is better than the complete lack of effort you used to put in."

Also knowing that my friends here ARE here helps me. A lot. I can avoid myself for some time. Avoiding them is a little harder.
  • MomofTeens
    MomofTeens Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Honestly the first week or 2 are the hardest. Once you get used to the routine of it, you start to feel in control of your own body. It is so worth it! Once you start to see and feel real results you won't feel as discouraged. Good Luck! And use this website to its fullest potential. It's what helped me to lose 30 lbs! :happy:
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try (though often fail) to focus on getting stronger rather than losing weight. I know that as I build more muscle and endurance and create healthy habits for myself, the weight will eventually follow. It's so hard to get caught up with the numbers on the scale, but I'm in this for the long-haul.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The first week I wanted to quit too, because the change from my old eating habits to my new ones were a shake up for me. But, it's been a month now..and I stalled out on weight loss for a week because of TOM, and I was wanting to give up because it "wasn't worth it" and then I thought to myself, aren't I satisfied with what I am eating? Haven't I felt full? Have I had a craving that I wasn't able to satisfy? And yes I've been eating things I like, I've never gone hungry, and I've eaten cookies if I want cookies, ice cream if I want ice cream..I just limit the portion and make sure it fits in my daily goal. Doing it this way I have realized there's really nothing for me to "give up" on. I'm not dieting, I'm just living...healthier.

As for exercise, don't overdo it at first. Start slow, and try to make it fun. I don't exercise just to exercise. I have a goal in mind for my cardio..which keeps me going on the C25K program. I'm not worried about how many calories it's going to burn or how much weight it'll make me lose, that'd just get me down. Instead I focus on being ready for the next week and proving to myself I can do it. For my strength I make goals for myself too, and I love doing pilates and yoga, so that's primarily what I do for that. It's been fun, I've ENJOYED every minute spent doing it, and I can already see an increase in my strength and flexibility.
  • wendywilliams1
    wendywilliams1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that I remind myself of the alternative which is.......the scale gets higher, can't fit in my clothes, I'm uncomfortable, have heartburn, hate what I see in the mirror, jeopardizing my health, etc. All the reasons that started me on this health journey in the first place. I know it's boring and difficult sometimes but I feel so much better when I'm taking care of myself and my health. It really makes a difference. Sometimes I go into my closet and try on clothes to remind myself of how far I've come and it really helps. I do find that I frequently have to look for different ways to motivate myself whether it's trying on clothes in my closet, reading Oxygen Magazine, looking at others that don't take care of themselves, etc, Good Luck on your journey. You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I know that diet and exercise work.
    dont be disappointed by the results you dont get by the work you never put in!
    for able bodied and mind there are no excuses
    I set short term goals i.e Ive only got to keep up this strict discipline for first six weeks
    then I have long term goal to be fit and slim!
    My mfp pals are wonderful supportive and good examples!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    The first week is always the worst. Just keep going, it will get way easier.
    You could get a piece of paper and write down your own reasons for why you want to lose weight. Then hang it on a wall somewhere, where you will see it a lot (or on the fridge).

My reasons are that I don't want to end up like my mom. With loads of weight-related health problems starting when she was just 40.
    I want to be healthy and fit for as long as I can, so that I can enjoy my life to the fullest.
    Also I want to be able to wear cute dresses ;).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    "Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight is hard
    Being overweight is hard
    Choose your hard."

Having said that, losing weight is hard, but it doesn't have to be as hard as some people make it. Make small changes that you can live with, and then make more changes. You don't have to completely overhaul your diet overnight, or go from completely sedentary to 1000 calorie workouts. Start by meeting your calorie goal, and getting more active than you were. Go from there. This is going to be a long, slow process (which won't end once you reach your goal), so don't sabotage yourself now by creating a lifestyle that you can't sustain long-term. Baby steps. :flowerforyou:

P.S. take progress photos & measurements - they won't help now, but will be fantastic motivation a bit further down the line. Also, try to set goals that relate to what you can do, rather than what you weigh. They will keep you going too.