The wonders of HungryGirl.com

Options
dino_morgan
dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
I just discovered Hungry-Girl.com, and I absolutely love it! My boyfriend and I plan on using this site from now on before we cook anything. It has great alternatives to delicious, usually tempting food. They have everything from shakes to burgers and enchiladas! It's great!

Here's an example:

I love that they show how unhealthy it normally is vs. the recipe!
:)

Portabella mushroom sandwich

Ingredients:
1 large portabella mushroom, stem removed
1 tsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp. salt, or more to taste
2 dashes ground thyme, or more to taste
1 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
Dash cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1 stick light string cheese
1 Arnold Select/Oroweat Sandwich Thins roll or Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats roll
1 tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
2 dashes garlic powder
1 thick slice red onion, all rings intact
1 large slice tomato
1/2 cup shredded lettuce

Directions:
Coat both sides of the mushroom with oil and sprinkle with salt and thyme. Gently rub the seasonings into the mushroom and set aside.

Season mayo to taste with cayenne pepper. Mix well and set aside. Pull string cheese into pieces and set aside as well.

Split apart your roll and spread the inside with butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder.

Bring a large skillet or a grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Place roll halves in the pan with the buttered sides down. Once warm and toasty, remove and plate with the buttered sides up.

Place mushroom in the skillet/pan, rounded side up, along with the onion, side by side. Cook for 5 minutes, and then flip both.

Top mushroom evenly with cheese, and cook for another 5 minutes, or until cheese and veggies have softened.

Place mushroom on the bottom half of the roll. Top with onion, tomato, and lettuce. Spread the buttered side of the roll's top half with mayo, and finish off your sandwich with it. Now CHEW!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: entire sandwich
Calories: 263
Fat: 10g
Sodium: 827mg
Carbs: 33.5g
Fiber: 7.5g
Sugars: 6.5g
Protein: 14.5g

VERSUS

The Cheesecake Factory's Grilled Portebella on a Bun

Serving Size: one sandwich
Calories: 1,133
Fat: n.a.
Saturated Fat: 19g
Sodium: 1,279mg
Carbs: 65g
Fiber: n.a.
Sugars: n.a.
Protein: n.a.

Happy Cooking!
:)

http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Love the Hungry Girl book 200 recipes 200 calories and under!
  • suziesgems
    Options
    oooohhhh great website!! THANKS :) x
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Thanks for this post.
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I heart Hungry Girl! I've been a subscriber for 4 years!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just bought the 200 recipes under 200 calories book! I hear it's great!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    bookmarked the site!

I already found what I am making for dinner tonight! woohoo!
    thanks!
  • mebras3775
    Options
    I have a hungry girl cook book and i love it to death.
  • katwell
    katwell Posts: 2
    Options
    Love her. She recently posted something on the website about homemade crab rangoon that I can't wait to try.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    She also just came out with a new cookbook. You can subscribe to her email newsletter too. I agree about the crab rangoon recipe, can't wait to try that one! :)
  • mollyn92
    mollyn92 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just checked out hungry girl and although it is a good site for reducing calories it does not appear to be a good site for health conscious eaters. There is more to eating healthy than maintaining a low calorie diet. Several of the recipes on hungry girl call for substituiting sugar with splenda. Splenda is TERRIBLE for your body do not eat it! Most fake sweeteners contain formaldehyde! that is embalming fluid and this will damage your cellular system. Please stay away from fake sweeteners especially aspartame! Use a natural sweetner such as raw sugar or even better stevia!

Also, hungry girl promotes using fake butter! Do NOT every use margarine!!! It is only a few chemical components away from plastic! It contains partially hydrogenated oils which damage your body! Use butter!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I just checked out hungry girl and although it is a good site for reducing calories it does not appear to be a good site for health conscious eaters. There is more to eating healthy than maintaining a low calorie diet. Several of the recipes on hungry girl call for substituiting sugar with splenda. Splenda is TERRIBLE for your body do not eat it! Most fake sweeteners contain formaldehyde! that is embalming fluid and this will damage your cellular system. Please stay away from fake sweeteners especially aspartame! Use a natural sweetner such as raw sugar or even better stevia!

Also, hungry girl promotes using fake butter! Do NOT every use margarine!!! It is only a few chemical components away from plastic! It contains partially hydrogenated oils which damage your body! Use butter!

of course you have to evaluate the ingredients you cook with, but hungry girl is fabulous at getting you to think outside the box. for example making guacamole 'go further' by adding peas. i love her!
  • stellarnz
    Options
    It's so frustrating that nearly everything HG uses as substitutes I can't get where I live. But I do like what they're trying to do.