Frozen vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, but canned veggies don't taste like veggies after having eaten frozen for fresh veggies for a few months.

This past holiday season, some of my coworkers made green bean casserole from canned beans. Sorry to them, but it made me feel like I was licking a salt block. Sorry, but I am not a giraffe in need of entertainment.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are a-ok! :) Enjoy.
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    the accepted path for veggies is fresh>frozen>canned and sometimes (depending on season, etc) frozen can be better than fresh. Typically frozen is about as fresh as true "fresh" veggies. Canned are shunned due to salt, processing, additives, and the fact that they spend more time in a processing plant than frozen.

Honestly... if the only way you're going to eat veggies is if they're canned, then eat canned. I prefer frozen over any because I can keep a variety in our chest freezer. I also prefer the taste of frozen over canned... but there are situations (green beans specifically) where canned can taste better :D

I totally agree with that!!

I try to buy fresh vegetables when they are seasonal (tastes better/cheaper/more eco-friendly). Considering that where I live (France), what is seasonal right now is basically cabbage & potatoes, and that I'm not a big fan of cabbage, I buy lots of frozen veggies!! ;) Green beans, peas, spinach, etc. I don't like canned vegetables, so I don't buy them, except for peeled tomatoes to make sauces...