Jokes about your weight at work

Options
I used to be good friends with these two ladies at work but I haven't seen much of them lately as we are no longer working closely together. As I walked past their department and smiled, they pointed to this other woman who was in the distance and said 'XXX thinks you are fat' and then laughed as though it was a joke. As XXX wasn't there to stick up for herself I laughed it off as I just thought 'Whatever I weight so much less than this time last year'.

But I am thinking either this woman said it and the other two ladies were enjoying telling me or it was something the two ladies wanted to say to me but using her name. Could it be because they have noticed I have lost weight and they are trying to make me feel bad or because they noticed and are making a joke in an amused way about it. I do know that they hate their jobs so spend too much time joking around these days.

What do you think? I'm not stressing too much about it as I feel good about my progress but I am wondering about their motive.

Replies

• elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    they are jealous pay them no mind
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't put any of your mental energy into figuring them out. They obviously see your progress and feel insecure about themselves. The only thing we can conclude for sure is that these women are very immature. Focus on your accomplishments and pursuing the goals that are going to make you feel good about yourself. They are not worth your time.
  • darkangel1986
    Options
    i do go though this on a daily basis and the worst part is its my 125 pound brother the other men at work say its just cuz he has nothing better to do with his time than make others feel less of them selfs so i say screw them dont let them think in any way it bothers you or it will never stop i know its been many years of his awful comments but its starting to slow down now that i dont show it actually hurts a little they just have very boring lives so gossip elps mix it up
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    .....but I am wondering about their motive.

People are ****ing ****s
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    You are so great not letting those jealous immature bully women get you down. What a teenage-like tactic to try and derail your success...isn't it unbelievable how some people never grow into better human beings as they get older? It seems that would be the natural way of things.

Please post back when you are at goal and strutting your new sexy self in front of the those windbags. And..if they do it again....there is nothing wrong with smiling and giving them an insult back couched as a joke. sometimes biting back is the only way to beat a bully down.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    wow! this is why i like working machine shop type jobs. i hate working with women lol. me and my sister in law have been working together kinda in trying to lose weight. she is 24 and im 28. we carry our weight a lot different. me more in the stomach and she is taller and more big boned everywhere. but when we started i had a lot more weight to lose then she does. i have lost 30 pounds and she lost maybe 2 in this time frame. so now im about 10 pounds or so behind her. she keeps giving me clothes that dont fit her. and yesterday she got so mad cause i pointed out that the stuff she is giving me is too lose on me even lol. that hit her like a ton of bricks lol. i was trying not to be mean and was just taking the stuff. i didnt want to offend her or give her a reason to stop working out. but i had to give her a reality check on many things. including why she lost only 2 pounds. umm.. eating 1000 calories in fast food a day is not going to help you out either chica! its hard being the fat chick and giving others advice.
  • sarrora
    sarrora Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    people who have time to point out others' problames are running away from theirs , i would say find out something about them that they don't like and rub it in thier faces XD
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Seriously are these adults? Maybe in body but certainly not in mind. Ignore their evil petty spirits and keep on keepin on. What they said whether repeating what the other person said or not was mean spirited and you don't need that garbage in your life. You can't change them so ignore it and move on. Don't let them bring you down. YOU know you are improving your health and your life. Stick with it.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    .....but I am wondering about their motive.

People are ****ing ****s

This is it. They feel good being b!tches. Don't become a b!tch
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I so disagree with the posts here on ignoring their hurtful comments. No matter how you look at it, that is a form of abuse - tell them to go f**k themselves. Why would you laugh with them about something that is putting you down?? A passive attitude is what "allows" people to bully others and get away with it. Putting them in their place is not becoming a b!tch - that is standing up for yourself !
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Seriously are these adults? Maybe in body but certainly not in mind. Ignore their evil petty spirits and keep on keepin on. What they said whether repeating what the other person said or not was mean spirited and you don't need that garbage in your life. You can't change them so ignore it and move on. Don't let them bring you down. YOU know you are improving your health and your life. Stick with it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Does the OP work in a high school? Geez! I'm sure *most* of my co-workers think I'm fat. (because I'm fat :laugh:) But that's something that kids do, not grown ups.

Just keep working and moving toward your goals, OP. Children should be seen and not heard. :wink:
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My response would be along the lines of...

"Well that's nice, I think you're a b!tch, are we done now or should I continue?"

I don't play well with others though.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?

I'm so fat, when I go out on my run people must assume its to Dunkin Doughnuts.

HAHAH. I got a million.

Went to the gym, someone put there lunch in front of my treadmill. Said it would help motivate me because there was Oreos in there.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Used to hate days like that! You're cruising along, having a pretty good day. Then you hear something like that from a co-worker. *BOOM* there goes that day! lol - but no more of that!

Mad props for rolling with it and not reacting. That's what I've learned - just roll with it and NEVER let them know it effects you in anyway...or they'll think it's funny and do it again. If new co-worker thinks that about you, let her. her thoughts don't effect you. if the dummy duo think that about you, let them. Their thoughts (the few they have haha) don't effect you.

And keep on keepin on my friend! You're doing great! :)
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    in my job,i get make fun of my weight, bc im considered lean and ppl are like " you need to eat, ect"

but god forbid if some one calls some one fat.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Seriously, how old are these people??! That is something my 7 and 10-year-old kids would do (actually, they wouldn't, because they are being raised to be decent and kind human beings)!

Honestly, these are things you will encounter throughout this process. I don't yet understand why, but losing weight and becoming a healthier person seems to bring out the nasty in others. There is not always a good way to deal with these scenarios, as ignoring the situation could potentially make things worse, and the same is true should you decide to do something about it.

I find that using these situations as fuel to amp up a workout session and/or to make me even more focused and more determined to lose weight helps a lot!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    If you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?

I'm so fat, when I go out on my run people must assume its to Dunkin Doughnuts.

HAHAH. I got a million.

Went to the gym, someone put there lunch in front of my treadmill. Said it would help motivate me because there was Oreos in there.

Many overweight people make themselves the butt of their own jokes..but truly they are hurting inside. You deserve to be treated better and please treat yourself better.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I so disagree with the posts here on ignoring their hurtful comments. No matter how you look at it, that is a form of abuse - tell them to go f**k themselves. Why would you laugh with them about something that is putting you down?? A passive attitude is what "allows" people to bully others and get away with it. Putting them in their place is not becoming a b!tch - that is standing up for yourself !

^^ This, Stand up for youself once....kinda like the kid who always get bullied and then one day snaps and beats up the toughest guy in school. Stick up for yourself and the rude comments will stop. :ohwell:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Next time, tell them "Funny thing - I hear her say the same thing about both of you."
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My response would have been "Really? She told me you have b.o.!" Then shrug and walk away knowing that for the rest of the day they'll be consciously trying to get a whiff of themselves.