Genetically Modified Foods- Needing info!

Options
I'm in the midst of an assignment and I desperate need more resources and information about GMOs. Does anyone out there know of any good books, articles, documentaries, or other, on the topic? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    The University of Illinois may have some. I know they do research. Also the Illinois dept of agriculture lab. Good luck!
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    Seeds of Deception by Jeffrey Smith - world renowned GMO expert
    Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

documentary
    Food Inc
    and there's another one with Food in the title that the name escapes me right now

and then just to understand how corrupt business are watch

The Corporation

All the documentaries can be found in parts on youtube.

Also just google GMO and you will get thousands of resources to read. I am passionate about stopping GMO production. I am not successful, but it is a passion of mine.

And fyi - all food at Trader Joe's is GMO free, anything under their house brand that is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options

documentary
    Food Inc
    and there's another one with Food in the title that the name escapes me right now

The Corporation

Also just google GMO and you will get thousands of resources to read. I am passionate about stopping GMO production. I am not successful, but it is a passion of mine.

And fyi - all food at Trader Joe's is GMO free, anything under their house brand that is.
    If one is doing a report on GMO's they should have information from both sides of the the spectrum.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bill Moyers did a good program on GMO's.
    Corn and soya are nearly all GMO's now.

Say you grow organic corn, and 5 miles away there is a field of GMO corn grown for fuel. Now they can modify the seed so it takes weed killer (remember Agent orange?) up through the roots, stems into the ear of corn. Monsanto genetically modifies it in a lab so they get patent on the seed (intellectual property because it comes out of a lab).
    Wind comes in your direction, so your once organic corn is now fertilized by Monsanto's GMO pollen.

In India (see that Bill Moyer's segment) Monsanto controls all the seeds. With that kind of control, they tell farmers what to plant, which chemicals to use, who will ship, who will distribute. They tell farmers to plant cotton, farmers are killing themselves at one per day because their children are starving. Monsanto has a strangle hold already of the farmers in India.

Coming soon to the USA! Dow Chemical and Monsanto pays millions in bribes (contributions) to Congressmen.
    Corruption in DC! Big surprise!
    In short it is like a Bat Man movie, the evil joker, Monsanto, is trying to gain control of the world food supply.
    In CA we tried to require labeling of GMOs, but again, Monsanto has the bucks and flooded the air with ads that labeling GMOs would add hundreds or thousands of dollars to the average families food budget.
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options

documentary
    Food Inc

The Corporation

If one is doing a report on GMO's they should have information from both sides of the the spectrum.

Having information from both sides is my ultimate goal. That is actually exactly why I asked for help on an open board.

Thank you to everyone that has posted thus far! My mind is whirling with new information :)
  • vashnic
    Options
    Say you grow organic corn, and 5 miles away there is a field of GMO corn grown for fuel. Now they can modify the seed so it takes weed killer (remember Agent orange?) up through the roots, stems into the ear of corn. Monsanto genetically modifies it in a lab so they get patent on the seed (intellectual property because it comes out of a lab).
    Wind comes in your direction, so your once organic corn is now fertilized by Monsanto's GMO pollen.

From what I remember from toxicology classes:

Agent Orange (defoliant used in the Vietnam War) was primarily a (human) problem due to heavy contamination with dioxin (nasty stuff). Agent Orange itself was great at killing jungles and ruining ecosystems, didn't do a whole lot to non-plants. It's also not been used for the past 30+ years.

Many herbicides are designed to target fast growing plants (think grasses, many weeds), and if your crop is something slow growing like an orchard, those would work just fine. However, faster growing crops such as many leaf vegetables would be adversely affected just as the weeds are.

Genetically modified plants are resistant to many herbicides; no, they do not uptake the chemicals. Rather, they are able to break down the active compounds into relatively non-planttoxic components, so farmers are able to spray herbicides without too much worry onto their crops.

The main issues with GMOs relate to possible 'escape' of those resistant genes into the natural environment, thus altering other plants, and its tendency to promote excess pesticide use ('My crops are resistant, we can spray as much as we want!' vs. 'We have to be careful to spray just enough to kill the weeds but not kill our own crops'). The popularity and easy-to-use nature of GMOs has some people worried about lack of diversity resulting from this mass amount of genetically similar plant material, possibly leading to greater susceptibility to disease.

Really, I would start on Wikipedia as that is quite current and good at presenting pros/cons, then follow the references linked at the bottom and/or do an article search on something like PubMed to form your own opinions.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

documentary
    Food Inc

The Corporation

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well said. This is what I was thinking.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Say you grow organic corn, and 5 miles away there is a field of GMO corn grown for fuel. Now they can modify the seed so it takes weed killer (remember Agent orange?) up through the roots, stems into the ear of corn.

Ok, they aren't using Agent Orange, and dioxins haven't been used for decades. The chemical used as a weed spray on GMO crops is an organophosphate which the plant is able to tolerate but the weeds can't. Commonly known as Round-up. The plant isn't taking it in for any purpose, it isn't an insecticide, it's an herbicide designed for weed control, nothing more. Get your facts straight before you started spouting anti GMO propaganda.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    King Corn is a great documentary that talks about government subsidies and GMOs in the corn industry in the USA. It looks at both sides of the issue, including health issues, economic implications, and the effect on small farms. It's a great documentary that I would encourage anyone to watch.

Edit: It's not by any means unbiased, but it would give you a foundation to start exploring the counter-arguments.
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    I believe the OP asked for any references regarding GMO's. I never said ONLY READ WHAT I SAY! So, lighten up, 'kay bud.

OP - do your research. I have done extensive research on this subject, I am well informed. What I suggested you look into is just the beginning of information out there, both books have an extensive bibliography that you can do further research. Ultimately, you will have to decide which side you are most aligned with and I wish you well in your studies. It is a huge topic that is highly controversial and there will always be someone passionate about their stance on either side.