Is anyone using New Direction products for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Definitely want to encourage you on your weight loss and definitely don't want to discourage you or anyone here from trying to lose and become more healthy, as that's exactly what I'm trying to do myself. I've never been on that specific program but twice in my life, I've done very similar programs - liquids with maybe one small meal a day, or a very restrictive eating plan. And yes, both were extremely successful. In both instances I lost huge amounts of weight! So why am I here today, trying to again lose a huge amount of weight? Because neither of those programs taught me better eating habits - how to eat the right kinds of food in the right amounts, how to deal with "emotional" hunger, or simply how to deal with day-to-day stressors. There was no follow-up. So, if you do stay with this program, please, please, please make sure that at some point you get some assistance in proper nutrition, proper portions, and managing your eating. You can't simply lose the weight on the plan, and then go back to old eating habits. Believe me, do that and all the weight will come right back, plus some more so that you end up weighing more than you did before you started!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day. Since the 2nd "meal" my stomach has hurt and I have had nausea. Had the 3rd for dinner and ended up vomiting. Anyone else experience this? I will be calling the nurse in the morning.

I am so against diets, and specifically VLCD. You are right in calling the nurse, but I'd do it now.

Getting sick is not a good sign. I will bet the products have soy products in them. I say this because your description matches my bodily reaction to soy. You might want to look into soy intolerance.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Definitely want to encourage you on your weight loss and definitely don't want to discourage you or anyone here from trying to lose and become more healthy, as that's exactly what I'm trying to do myself. I've never been on that specific program but twice in my life, I've done very similar programs - liquids with maybe one small meal a day, or a very restrictive eating plan. And yes, both were extremely successful. In both instances I lost huge amounts of weight! So why am I here today, trying to again lose a huge amount of weight? Because neither of those programs taught me better eating habits - how to eat the right kinds of food in the right amounts, how to deal with "emotional" hunger, or simply how to deal with day-to-day stressors. There was no follow-up. So, if you do stay with this program, please, please, please make sure that at some point you get some assistance in proper nutrition, proper portions, and managing your eating. You can't simply lose the weight on the plan, and then go back to old eating habits. Believe me, do that and all the weight will come right back, plus some more so that you end up weighing more than you did before you started!

With this program there is a ton of support and education, at least with my weight loss clinic. I see a doctor every week, have an EKG every 4 weeks, blood work every 4 weeks and attend a class with a behaviorist every week. We also see an exercise physiologist to help design an exercise program that fits our lifestyle and goals and a registered dietitian. When you get within 20 lbs of your goal weight the dietitian works with you to transition back to regular meals. Once you hit goal you commit to 18-24 mos of maintenance classes so most people are in classes/support group for 2 yrs post loss. My doctor has an excellent success rate for patients keeping the weight off for more than two years. There are many programs out there that give you "diet" food and send you on your way, but with a VLCD like New Direction it's important to be monitored by a doctor which is why the meal replacements are considered a prescription. It sounds like you would really benefit from a medically monitored program like this.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    I've been seeing a doctor that uses the New Direction meal replacements for a little over a month. I'm down 25lbs in 31 days. My initial weight loss was really fast 11 lbs the first week and 8 lbs the second week. Now I've settled into a steady 3 lbs/week which is pretty average for women on the program. I'd love to keep up with others following this program.
  • mrjazzwoman
    mrjazzwoman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started today. I feel really inspired. I too was worried that this was just going to be a diet, and that once I lost the weight I'd be right back to where I started: not knowing how to eat. The clinic that I'm participating in the program with requires that I participate in weekly groups with a behaviorist and monthly meetings with a dietician and NP. I do believe that it can be possible for me to be successful in this program, and after.
  • JoyD824
    JoyD824 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am meeting with my doctor on Thursday to begin my physical and bod-pod check in and will begin the program shortly after that.

What I like about this is that ---- for me ---- this is with the guidance of a doctor, dietitian, fitness and a physicologist as well. I feel I will get and use the guidance they provide to make the difference for me.

Looking at the products and looking at the plan this is the same food as Diet Direct - but under the New Direction name and doctor guided.

I am intrigued to hear the results others are posting - keep up the great work and I will support you in return!

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and that is my reason for taking this direction for me and my weight loss program.
  • taylob4
    taylob4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started this today! I would love to talk to other people doing this as well!
  • lback89
    lback89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started about a week ago. It is hard, but I am doing well so far. What do you think about it at this point and are you cheating any or eating only their food?
  • lback89
    lback89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been on the program since late November and I'm only averaging 1 to 1.5 lbs of weightloss per week. Its very hard to drink only liquids (800 calorie diet) and I occassionally cheat and eat solid food but I choose healthy foods when cheating. I'm disappointed in the cost of this program and wonder if other diet meal replacements would do the same thing for me at a much lower cost. I have 70 lbs to lose so I know it will be worth it in the long term, I just don't know if I can continue with the high cost and the deprivation of normal food (salads, proteins would be wonderful to eat again)!

i wish that people didn't feel the need to go to these extremes. Many people lose at that rate eating normal food, and a lot more calories. you don't have to feel deprived, you don't have to spend tons of money.

I disagree. That is not true for everyone.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    I just started about a week ago. It is hard, but I am doing well so far. What do you think about it at this point and are you cheating any or eating only their food?

I've been on the program since Nov. Skipped all holiday meals, no cheating. I am more focused on losing the weight and learning to be better to my body than eating. We have a lifetime to eat food off the program, this is just a short term thing. I'm down 45lbs since starting, 66lbs since I started on my own 18mos ago.

I wish I could figure out how to get notifications from these posts I always forget to check. Hope you're doing well on the program.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    I just started this today! I would love to talk to other people doing this as well!

How are you doing?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Aren't they a boy band from England?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I've been on the program since late November and I'm only averaging 1 to 1.5 lbs of weightloss per week. Its very hard to drink only liquids (800 calorie diet) and I occassionally cheat and eat solid food but I choose healthy foods when cheating. I'm disappointed in the cost of this program and wonder if other diet meal replacements would do the same thing for me at a much lower cost. I have 70 lbs to lose so I know it will be worth it in the long term, I just don't know if I can continue with the high cost and the deprivation of normal food (salads, proteins would be wonderful to eat again)!

i wish that people didn't feel the need to go to these extremes. Many people lose at that rate eating normal food, and a lot more calories. you don't have to feel deprived, you don't have to spend tons of money.

I disagree. That is not true for everyone.

I'm guessing that you're new around here.

It IS true for everyone.
    NO ONE needs to go to extremes to lose weight.

It's as simple as:
    Log carefully.
    Eat at a caloric deficit, but it doesn't have to be an extreme one.
    Be patient.

Doing so through MFP costs nothing.

I don't even understand why someone who would opt for this "system" would be on MFP.
    It's a calorie/macros/micros logging site.

Tl;dr - no. No no no I am not spending any money on that program and I hope that someone will see this and decide to abandon that program and save money for smaller clothes by using MFP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Sadly I've seen this program by other names over the years. 10% of the people who do it will succeed. The other 90% will gain back a significant amount of weight.
    Basic math will tell you that cutting calories is why weight loss happens with this program (just like any other program). But liquid diets have one of the worst success rates because transitioning back to solid foods isn't easy.
    Good luck to you that do it, but at a start up cost of $500 I hope it's money well spent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a church you go to when you screwed up your life so bad regular church won't allow you in. also like a boy band my niece wants birthday parties made out of.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I just started a weight loss program called New Direction.

Isn't that a boy band?

I think that you are thinking of One Direction, and I believe that diet is called "cocaine"
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Is this that program were you listen to bad boy band music until you throw up what you ate? Oh wait, that would be One Direction. Never mind...
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Posted replies are from mfpers who have been on site 1 month to 4 years. My question: were you unsuccessful using mfp and decided to try new direction method?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow...this is a very old topic with so much potential for drama.

Im in.
This discussion has been closed.