Acne foods? (What not to eat)

Options
I've noticed that my acne has increased a bit over the past few months. I miss having a clear face so I'd like advice on what foods to cut out of my (already vegetarian) diet. Or even what foods to add if that's applicable. Also if you know of any good online studies or articles on the matter, I'd love to read them, thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my acne has increased a bit over the past few months. I miss having a clear face so I'd like advice on what foods to cut out of my (already vegetarian) diet. Or even what foods to add if that's applicable. Also if you know of any good online studies or articles on the matter, I'd love to read them, thanks!
    Acne has more to do with hormones than foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Damn, it seems I'm stuck, then.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What I'm about to say is mostly second-hand anecdotal advice.

I used to be a mod on a skin-care site and we had lots and lots of members say that their acne was exacerbated by gluten, dairy, and wheat. (Sometimes just one, other times a combo of all three.) Rarely did we have someone claim that chocolate, salt, or oils were a factor. I have never treated my skin with dietary approaches, so I can't attest personally to these treatments. But if you are willing to try it, it might be worth it.
  • rbohac
    rbohac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Wheat/Gluten comment above.

Also I know that if I drink any normal soda (like Coke), I will have acne for about a week after (starting 2 days later usually). For me, 1 can will do it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So I recently went off birth control and I'm having problems with this too. My doc says it's nothing to do with food except that oil from oily food can get on your face and clog your pores. Has anything changed hormonally for you lately?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It could *seriously* be from not eating enough food. It is true that it has more to do with hormones than anything, but not eating enough food, or not getting enough healthy fats can cause a hormonal imbalance.
  • LAD1981
    LAD1981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain - Acne sufferer for years, felt like I tried everything.. Then cut out dairy and cant believe the difference in my skin - I also quit smoking which was a huge factor too, but I really felt it was the dairy for me after all this time.

Also, not sure if you're exercising more too? I noticed flare ups quite a lot due to sweating. Ensure you remove your make up before exercising, and wash your face as soon as afterwards.

Keep a diary, it helps to work out what might be the triggers - best of luck
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    in my experience and research as a acne sufferer for years, dairy is enemy #1 ...as well as sugar. Hormones are in dairy.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just recently went back to my doc about my adult cystic acne. I have tried every prescription facewash, and have been on rounds of antibiotics for it (which I did not like). She suggested I try going gluten free for a while and see if that might help. I just started today, I will try just about anything at this point.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Mostly true, but, my derm, who's up on research, said that new studies are implicating food into it again! I remember her mentioning chocolate and dairy, don't know about gluten etc.

Foods to add? If you're vegan, hard to improve on veg and fruit.