Getting Abs?? Where am I going wrong?

Options
I'm starting to wonder if my weekend cheat meals are what's keeping me from my dream abs? Maybe I'm not as hard core as I think I am? 90% or more of my diet is clean, unprocessed foods and still no abs =(. I usually only have one cheat meal on the weekends. I don't have cheat days. What do you all think? I eat some cheese, cream and almond milk but the rest is fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Where am I going wrong?

I work out 5 or more days a week. I do group fitness classes like step, kickboxing and aerobics. I love running and do at least 2 days a week of lifting heavy (I hope to increase this soon).

My profile and diary are open. First thing you will notice is my weekend cheat meal yesterday. I usually do a meal like that once a week but all other meals are pretty clean. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thank you.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has nothing to do with Abs and exercise only slightly. Abs are all about reducing body fat so they show. Have you ever heard the saying "Abs are made it the kitchen"? I don't think a once a week cheat day makes any difference in the big picture. Keep reducing your body fat slowy and the Abs will eventually show.
  • leanhulk
    Options
    Eating clean has nothing to do with Abs and exercise only slightly. Abs are all about reducing body fat so they show. Have you ever heard the saying "Abs are made it the kitchen"? I don't think a once a week cheat day makes any difference in the big picture. Keep reducing your body fat slowy and the Abs will eventually show.

^^^ what he said
    what % is your body fat at?
  • fit4life1985
    fit4life1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Too speed up fat loss, I would look into pushing your carbohydrate intake until the evening and see if that helps. If you don't spike insulin during the day, you will keep coristol up which will help eat away the fat. Just make sure you are eating enough protein to maintain your muscle. I wouljd suggest also upping your fat during the day while you reduce the carbs (ie have a handful of almonds instead of your banana for a snack).

Here is a study --> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2231819/Why-eat-carbs-EVENING-day-lose-weight.html#axzz2JrFpHVpB

Another option is the cyclic Ketogenic diet. I am on it and I am dropping fat like crazy. With one cheat meal a week. I dropped 3% bodyfat in less than a month.

Just an option :).

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got."
  • mmapags
    Options
    Too speed up fat loss, I would look into pushing your carbohydrate intake until the evening and see if that helps. If you don't spike insulin during the day, you will keep coristol up which will help eat away the fat. Just make sure you are eating enough protein to maintain your muscle. I wouljd suggest also upping your fat during the day while you reduce the carbs (ie have a handful of almonds instead of your banana for a snack).

Here is a study --> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2231819/Why-eat-carbs-EVENING-day-lose-weight.html#axzz2JrFpHVpB

Another option is the cyclic Ketogenic diet. I am on it and I am dropping fat like crazy. With one cheat meal a week. I dropped 3% bodyfat in less than a month.

Just an option :).

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got."

And how would you handle protein since it is also insullinogenic?
  • fit4life1985
    Options
    I would say shakes are the worst for insulin spikes. Which is why I only have them post workout. Eating lots of fat with protein at a meal will help slow this down no? That's what I have been doing. If i eat 60g of protein, I would try to have 30g of fat at least with it. That is what I have read at least. I have been having lots of success with it, so something seems to be working.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I would say shakes are the worst for insulin spikes. Which is why I only have them post workout. Eating lots of fat with protein at a meal will help slow this down no? That's what I have been doing. If i eat 60g of protein, I would try to have 30g of fat at least with it. That is what I have read at least. I have been having lots of success with it, so something seems to be working.

Would not the same logic apply to carbs?
  • fit4life1985
    Options
    You mean eating lots of fat with carbs? It might work i don't know. But im guessing its more effective to take them out completely (30g of less) as they are broken down into glucose and stored either as muscle or fat, and usually fat as people tend to overeat carbs. Im not saying its impossible to get a 6 pack without ultra low carbs, but the process is much quicker if you do from my experience. Switching the body over to ketosis will specifically target using dietary fat and adipose tissue for energy, which is why its so effective. Just my 2 cents.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do not believe low carb = abs
  • mmapags
    Options
    You mean eating lots of fat with carbs? It might work i don't know. But im guessing its more effective to take them out completely (30g of less) as they are broken down into glucose and stored either as muscle or fat, and usually fat as people tend to overeat carbs. Im not saying its impossible to get a 6 pack without ultra low carbs, but the process is much quicker if you do from my experience. Switching the body over to ketosis will specifically target using dietary fat and adipose tissue for energy, which is why its so effective. Just my 2 cents.

I think you mean well but you may want to learn more before you advise someone else. Carbs are NEVER stored as muscle and there is no proven advantage to a low carb diet if protein and cals are held constant. Some things work better for compliance for some people. It's all about preference.

It is energy balance that matters. As long as calories in is lower that calories burned, weight is lost. If resistance training is employed, lean muscle mass is preserved and mostly fat is lost. Ketogenic diets have no aadvantage in targeting fat and have a somewhat higher risk of catabolism. I'm glad you've got it dialed in for you but much of what you are posting is not fact and science based.
  • Parks0613
    Parks0613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went through and looked at your Diary, Did you set your Macros (Fat, Pro, Carbs)? Did you set your cals? Reason I asked is that your consistently not with in +/- 5 of your Macros. That could play a big factor on results. Also are you doing abs daily? Friend me and I can help you!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, from your pics you look pretty slim. Are you worried about definition?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Some people can obtain them easier than others, per their genetics. It's like the thigh gap - for some it can be very achievable at a higher weight, while others can get down to 110 lbs and still not have one. It may look good, but it's not an indicator of health.

That said, a reduction in body fat is going to be your best bet into getting six pack abs. Everybody has a six pack, but most have a layer of fat covering them so they are not visible.

I gain weight first in my stomach, so for me, it meant that I had to get to a lower BMI to get them.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Also, I just looked at your pics. You look FABULOUS!!!! You have nothing to complain about.

Aesthetically speaking, I think a small hint of a six pack on a woman looks really good, like what you have going on now. Anything more and it might be a bit much. I don't like abs on women that look too ripped.

That's just me though - it's your body, and you are the one who has to be happy with it. Just wanted to put in my two cents that you look amazing.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    low carbs do not equal abs.

Reduced bodyfat = abs.

OP are you losing weight? If you're not that's what you need to do.

I'm not losing weight. Please look at my pics. I don't have any to lose. My hip bones protrude. I weight about 130 lbs right now but at 110 lbs (years ago) I didn't have abs then either.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    Also, I just looked at your pics. You look FABULOUS!!!! You have nothing to complain about.

Aesthetically speaking, I think a small hint of a six pack on a woman looks really good, like what you have going on now. Anything more and it might be a bit much. I don't like abs on women that look too ripped.

That's just me though - it's your body, and you are the one who has to be happy with it. Just wanted to put in my two cents that you look amazing.

Thank you :). I'm not complaining at all. This is just a goal that has been on my list for a couple of years now and seems to stay just out of reach.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I'm confused, from your pics you look pretty slim. Are you worried about definition?

Yes, I want 4 or 6 pack abs with lots of definition. I do not wish to be thinner or smaller in any way. This complicates the theory of "lose weight to gain abs". If I lose weight I just look bad without abs =(
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I went through and looked at your Diary, Did you set your Macros (Fat, Pro, Carbs)? Did you set your cals? Reason I asked is that your consistently not with in +/- 5 of your Macros. That could play a big factor on results. Also are you doing abs daily? Friend me and I can help you!

I don't watch my macros much. I put the emphasis on eating fresh foods and stopped worrying about the rest. I do not do abs daily but usually about 3 or 4 times a week.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    you already have abs and are there they are just hiding under the fat on your body i feel my abs but i cant see them becacuse i have alot of fat that needs shifting from my tummy
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics, and I disagree with pretty much all the other responses here- I think you should concentrate more on lifting and even do a small bulk with a slight caloric surplus. You may even want to do some weighted ab-work (not a million crunches and planks). I almost *never* recommend ab work, but I think in your case you're already lean and may need to develop those muscles to get them to pop.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/wr4-McBOJCg

try hanging leg raises =)