moroccan meatballs!

Options
melville88
melville88 Posts: 137
Here is a recipe for moroccan meatballs I tried tonight, adapted a little though. I am a student and cook alone so the ingredients are listed for one person (multiply by number of people in your family as required).

80 grams lean beef steak mince
1/4 small onion
1/2 garlic clove
1/4 tsp ginger puree (or use root ginger or powdered ginger)
1/4 tsp cumin (ground dry cumin)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (dried)
Salt and pepper

Sauce: 1/3 tin of chopped tomatos
2/3 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 clove of garlic
1/4 tsp ginger puree
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp tomato puree (only put this in if the sauce isn't thickening after simmering for 10 minutes)
Chilli as desired! (i used 1/4 tsp but I'm not a fan of spiciness)
Optional- 1/2 courgette, 3 mushrooms finely sliced- if you want to add more body to your sauce.

Mix all the meatball ingredients together in a bowl and then lightly fry them in a non stick pan, till brown allover (it will make about 4 meatballs)

When browned, set aside, dab with kitchen roll to remove excess fat.

Add a little water to your frying pan and then add the ginger, garlic, cinnamon and cumin and cook for 2 minutes (the water is just enough to stop the spices from sticking/blackening)

Add the tomatoes and chicken stock (and courgettes/mushrooms if using) and simmer for 15 minutes. if not thickening, add a little tomato puree.

When the sauce has thickened, add the meatballs and simmer for another 15 minutes. I actually cooked my sauce for about 20 minutes before adding the meatballs because I wanted it to be sort of sticky. Really delicious and the courgette and mushroom were perfectly cooked.

This alone works out at around 250 calories a portion; it isn't too bad fatwise, just depends on what meat you use. I served mine with half a cup of cooked couscous (not a lot, about 30grams uncooked) and enjoyed it thoroughly. With couscous this meal is around 325-350 calories and very filling.

xxx

Replies

• melville88
    Options
    According to MFP its 9 grams of fat. But I reckon if you dab the meatballs with kitchen roll after browning them you remove maybe a gram of that? positive thinking! xxx
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    thanks, sounds yummy :tongue:
  • melville88
    Options
    you're welcome :-D xxx