365 Days, 62 Pounds & 60+ Inches Later ...

Options
foraubs
foraubs Posts: 263 Member
February 3, 2012 I logged into MFP for the first time to "try things out."
It's been -- without any embellishment -- one of the best things that could have ever happened to me!

kjjkn.png

When I started on February 3, I was 198lbs. This was my highest recorded weight, save for my pregnancy weight which was 225lbs.

225preg.jpg
iphone826.jpg

9 months pregnant. 225lbs.
That number seems so surreal.

I always thought I was a "bigger girl," but I never was ... until I was. I think it was about 2005 when my weight began "creeping" on ... and I didn't get pregnant until 2012, so what does that tell you? YIKES!

megbday2012.png

This photo was taken a few weeks before I found out I was pregnant. And this was how I'd been looking for a few years. Not impressive. Hiding from the camera, self-conscious -- not like the real me at ALL!

Anyway, this was me a year ago to the day:

feb2012all.png

198lbs. 4 weeks post-partum.

Then, one month into the process (or journey, or transformation, or change ... whatever we choose to call it):

3mgutttttt.png

And then, a few months later still, September came, 7 months in:

september2012.png

Before you know it, September turns to February, making me 365 days in, 61.2lbs lighter and over 60" smaller:

hkjlml.png

feb2013front.png

feb2013side.png

feb20133.png

If anyone else had told me that they'd lost the same amount of weight, it would sound so different in my head to me: that is to say, I recognize it as a significant loss for someone else, but in my mind and my sight, I still see the same girl from April 2012, sticking out like a sore thumb from her group of fit and thin friends.

It's not all in the numbers.
I refuse to get rid of my scale because numbers certainly are a part of it -- and if we're talking numbers, I'd still like to lose about 15-20lbs and tone up -- but it's brought me so much more.

Now, I can run 5K.
Now, I look forward to working out.
Now, I spend time getting ready for a night out WITH my girlfriends, and not alone because I'm too self-conscious.
Now, I can shop in the Junior's section of JCP:

feb2013dress.png

Yes, that is a kid's dress that I bought a few months ago that's actually a bit loose now.

Now, I look differently than I did in the same clothes from a year ago:

samejeans.png

Yes, those are the same jeans from February 2012 to December 2012.

Now, I have a defined jaw line and don't worry about how many chins I have in my photos:

faceyfaces.png

I'm hesitant to put this out there because a good, large part of me still harbours some self-consciousness. I don't feel "there" in my mind, but I'm working on playing catch-up.
When I started with MFP I'd look to the Success Stories and be blown away by what hard work and dedication could derive.
I'm a big supporter of paying things forward, so on the off-chance that the success I've had so far serves to keep someone here who is close to quitting, causes a newbie to stick around a little longer to check it out, or pushes someone who is close to their goal to keep reaching it ... well, then I'm happy to have shared, despite my hang ups.

It is possible to live without deprivation and be successful.
I have a small child at home now. My best friend passed away in May and I was devastated. From January 2012 to December 2012, we traveled constantly, going on 8 trips and vacations. I returned to work in December 2012, working rotating shifts in a demanding field.
And I still am continuing my loss.

The only thing I gave up was excuses.

I've got to thank my MFP family because, really, that's what they are: family. I've got friends who have been around since close to Day One and seen me through my incessant blog ramblings, my peaks and my valleys. YOU men and women have shown great success and it is your motivation, support, and dedication to yourselves that have helped me to realize that I, too, can offer that to myself and to others. I'm proud to call you my friends.

My best friend was my grandmother, and to have lost her in May was quite sincerely the most challenging thing I've ever had to endure. She was only 65 and had so much left ahead of her. My heart still has holes, but I am thankful to have my little family, and my daughter tries to fill them every day.
My grandmother always taught me to take pride in my appearance, and when I was pregnant she asked me if I was "going to try to lose the pregnancy weight right away." It was her words that resonated with me last year on this day and made me get busy. I wish she were here, because I know she would be proud.

I'm not blind to the fact that I've still got work to do .. or that what I have achieved could have been done in a fraction of the time. But, for once, I am looking forward to meeting my new goals.
Because that's what you do when you meet goals -- you make new ones.

Whatever your reasons and motivations, know that they are valid and they are worth it.

Best wishes to everyone continuing on their path to a happier and healthier lifestyle.
You, too, can stick with it ... and you'll be so happy that you did!

Replies

• purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look wonderful. :flowerforyou:
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Thanks for sharing your story!
  • carolivar
    carolivar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful :)
  • rblesd
    rblesd Posts: 28
    Options
    Great job inside and out.
  • jfilomena
    jfilomena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best part of your story for me is "365" days. Not overnight, not white-knuckled starvation and trying to lose 30 lbs in 3 months. Congratulations - you've done an amazing job.
  • TamiAnnie
    TamiAnnie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. You look amazing, your hard work has definitely paid off!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! Sorry to hear about your grandma, but good for your for not letting it be an excuse. Well done!!!!
  • fitandfabnat2013
    Options
    'The only thing I gave up was excuses'
    That is so inspirational..THANK YOU!! You look amazing..well done and all the best for the future :flowerforyou:
  • foraubs
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback.

My point while gabbing your face off was only that life happens, and making yourself a priority is neither a selfish or shameful act.

Thanks for the support!
  • Snotori
    Snotori Posts: 156
    Options
    You look great congrats!!!
  • JennyferZ
    JennyferZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You made me cry!!!!! :cry: lol! Too many amazing parts of this story to quote - the whole thing is KICKASS!!!!

Like I said on your wall - I am both proud and honored to be your friend here on MFP and I look forward to seeing each other hit our goals & continue making new ones, so we can keep cheering each other on!

And BTW! I've seen your pics before, but why didn't I know you were SUCH A HOTTIE?!!!! Holy cheetah bra & panties! GRRRR & MEOWWWW! Hubba Hubba!!! :love:

Love ya Babe! Hard work pays off and you deserve everything good that comes your way!!!
    xoxo :flowerforyou:
  • ceg2184
    ceg2184 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome job- you are such an inspiration!

PS - LOVE your hair!
  • lenjaw
    lenjaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First off *wolf whistles* you look fantastic in your photos. The difference in the black t-shirt that you're wearing :love:

But I think the most important thing that I took away from this was this is a change in lifestyle, not a diet. Counting calories sucks, and it's hard and there are times when we just want to kick back and eat a full pizza, but it's important to know that these changes are permanent, they aren't just until that pair of jeans finally fits properly. Everyone is busy, some of us have families to look after, some work ridiculous hours, some do both and still manage to make the right choices.

62 lbs is incredible, you shuld beam from ear to ear when you hear that number.

And just because the point this woman makes is massively valid.
    The best part of your story for me is "365" days. Not overnight, not white-knuckled starvation and trying to lose 30 lbs in 3 months. Congratulations - you've done an amazing job.
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Outstanding progress!!!...very well done. :smile:
  • foraubs
    Options

And BTW! I've seen your pics before, but why didn't I know you were SUCH A HOTTIE?!!!! Holy cheetah bra & panties! GRRRR & MEOWWWW! Hubba Hubba!!! :love:

LOL .. about that "not wearing panties" challenge ... ;)
    Love ya Jenny, thanks for all the support and *kitten* kickings! Look forward to more of those coming my way! xo
  • foraubs
    Options
    len -- you're awesome. So glad we intersected our paths because you are a huge motivation and a great source of support. Thanks for always being in my corner.

And to the rest of you .. thank you, too, for your well-wishes!
    I'm still working hard :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,353 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You look amazing!!
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    You look amazing thanks for sharing ... you inspire me to keep going :)
  • mininipuce
    mininipuce Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome story and it pushes me to continue my weight loss journey, because yes, that's a real journey.

Keep going!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!