feeling sore after exercise!? does this happen everytime

I have started working out. And I have been extremely sore for the last 2 days.. I didnt do much I just did around 20 minutes of crunches and running in place and thigh exercises..

I almost feel like I got hit by a bus. my abs are still sore from 3 days ago?

Is this supposed to happen EVERYTIME I work out ? I bought a workout DVD because I LOVE THE FEELING OF WORKING OUT but i HATE the feeling it gives me the next day and couple days after?? what am I supposed to do.? and is this normal?

thanks guys :) I hope your weightloss journey is going well! ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Replies

• lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    bump
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    it'll get easier. I love that burning feeling, means you done did good!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    It definitely eases up with time. DOMS in the first month or so can be a total nightmare. After five months, I barely even notice it anymore, even after my heaviest lifting sessions.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    It's your muscles telling you that you really are out of shape and need to keep at it. It gets better as you get stronger and taking long rest periods off between workouts will just keep it happening. Usually some stretching and a light workout will actually ease the pain.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    i'm sorry, i don't answer questions from people that openly promote EDs. Please consider changing your profile name.
  • dillydally123
    i'm sorry, i don't answer questions from people that openly promote EDs. Please consider changing your profile name.

ugh I hadn't noticed that. I second that.
  • make sure you are staying well hydrated. Stay far far far away from those fancy drinks and stick to water.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member

How am I missing this? Point it out because I don't see it. And I'm blonde, so there's that, too.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member

How am I missing this? Point it out because I don't see it. And I'm blonde, so there's that, too.

I'm missing this, too.
  • lovelyMYlovely

OMG this really makes me soo mad! because i DO NOT hve an eating disorder.. MIA= beautiful! or it can also mean -missing in action- geez..... i actually recently found out that MIA is short for bulimia.. that is SOOOO dumb though because what if my name is Mia..?? i had friends with that name...

anyways... its really not good to jump to conclusions about someones profile name.. especially when MIA can have so many meanings.. i am doing this the healthy way.. and ALWAYS will.. my friends know i dont have a ED.. sooo i cant really blame u guys that u think that... but its not nice to judge... and im keeping my name because i love the meaning=beautiful.. and thats what i am trying to achieve.....
  • lovelyMYlovely
    oh ok.. so the sorness means that I am doing something right then! :)

good!! lol because man im hurting..

also thank you to the person who said if i feel this pain not to stop or it will keep getting worse! I wont stop lol... i guess i can just take some Advil or something for the pain :)
  • dillydally123

OMG this really makes me soo mad! because i DO NOT hve an eating disorder.. MIA= beautiful! or it can also mean -missing in action- geez..... i actually recently found out that MIA is short for bulimia.. that is SOOOO dumb though because what if my name is Mia..?? i had friends with that name...

anyways... its really not good to jump to conclusions about someones profile name.. especially when MIA can have so many meanings.. i am doing this the healthy way.. and ALWAYS will.. my friends know i dont have a ED.. sooo i cant really blame u guys that u think that... but its not nice to judge... and im keeping my name because i love the meaning=beautiful.. and thats what i am trying to achieve.....

fair enough. sorry hadn't thought of it even being someone's name. apologies if i offended. good luck with working through the pain.
  • DavPul

from urban dictionary:

mia
    unless you have/have had/know someone with with and eating disorder, you would not know that it is short for bulimia.

contrary to what the news feeds controversy-hungry-people it is NOT to make bulimia sound like a friendly bff or anything, just a short version of the word, pretty much only used on the internet, just like any acronym used on msn - just a shorter type

ana
    a 'pet name' for anorexia nervosa.
    there are many arguements over the use of this word. some believe the girls who use the ana dont actually have an eating disorder, they just want one, wannabes who try to have an eating disorder and flaunt their lack of calories in blogs such as on xanga,livejournal and myspace.
    others believe that ana is simply a lazy way to say anorexia, and cant be bothered to actually type that every time.
    whatever you believe, anorexia is not a fad, trend or anything but what it truely is; a disease that ruins lives, not only that of the sufferer. families are torn apart, and lives are lost. anorexia can prevent you from having children, cause heart,liver and kidney problems and cause hair lose.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Ana-Mia-My-Eating-Disorder-Friends-150751

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20558807
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Since drinking a protein shake within 30 minutes after lifting, I haven't had DOMS. Working great for me.
  • DavPul

Nice try. But.....

1. Your name is not Mia

2. The nature of this site attracts a lot of people with eating disorders. Even if it was your name/nickname have some consideration and change it. (my nickname IRL has been Big Dave all my life. This is the only site in the world where I'm not Big Dave)
  • lovelyMYlovely

fair enough. sorry hadn't thought of it even being someone's name. apologies if i offended. good luck with working through the pain.
    ok thank you for the advice :) i am getting pumped up to work through the pain lol even though i know it will hurt!! haha :)
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    You can take advil for the pain, but just a little. you don't want to take any painkillers before you workout though, as it can mask the pain from serious injury. staying hydrated, stretching and moving-light to moderate exercise is good. also the DOMS is a way to let you know that your body has broken down muscle to make even more muscle...take to heart that when you feel that ache, it's a good thing. even if sometimes it makes it hard to sit down...LOL:wink:
  • lovelyMYlovely

Nice try. But.....

1. Your name is not Mia

2. The nature of this site attracts a lot of people with eating disorders. Even if it was your name/nickname have some consideration and change it. (my nickname IRL has been Big Dave all my life. This is the only site in the world where I'm not Big Dave)
    thank you for your concern. but i been on this site for 3 months so far and i barely learned what MIA meant in the fitness world.. i actually changed my name 1 month after being on this site because i posted my real name in it so originally it was
    my name-MIA=beautiful-my name.. so i changed it because i didnt want people with my name on here so i changed it to
    lovelyBEAUTIFULlovely =lovelyMIAlovely

so i changed it the maximum amount of times already which is once....

idk what to tell you.... i mean... i should have done my research but to be honest i had no idea people with eating disorders were on a fitness site.. soooo... idk... i know that I am doing things the healthy way.. thats all that matters i guess....
  • lovelyMYlovely
    You can take advil for the pain, but just a little. you don't want to take any painkillers before you workout though, as it can mask the pain from serious injury. staying hydrated, stretching and moving-light to moderate exercise is good. also the DOMS is a way to let you know that your body has broken down muscle to make even more muscle...take to heart that when you feel that ache, it's a good thing. even if sometimes it makes it hard to sit down...LOL:wink:
    awesome this is great!! :) lol i will and thanks for the advice!! ahhh it feels like your dying though lol but oh well i gotta man up an take the fitness pain lol
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Like everyone said, you'll be less sore as you get into better shape. Just a tip though, I personally don't experience any soreness until 2 days after a big workout, so I make sure that if I work out extra hard, then I take a break the next day, otherwise, the two-day-after soreness will hit so bad that I can hardly move for the day.