running speed

Options
What would be considered jogging compared to running? I find it comfortable at 4.5. Is that running or jogging?

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    With my short legs, 4.5 is running!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I consider that jogging, given that I can walk that fast when I'm really pushing it. Running for me is between 6-7mph. Then again, everyone is different, and it depends on your stride, IMO.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Jogging is just slow running, defined as a "leisurely pace," so it depends on your fitness level. Elite runners jog faster than I race.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I can run really slow.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Running is running. If you're doing more than walking, it's running. Don't let "runners" tell you otherwise!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...lots of factors, yor stride, yor height and yor fitness level...for me I walk between 4-4.5 on the treadmill....jog @ 5-6 and over 6 and I am going pretty fast...I usually can judge by my HR if I am jogging or runnin
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i was motivated by my daughter to do the couch to 5k. I probably could go faster but I am still in the first week so we will see.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually felt like a runner when I joined my first race. And that 5k took me almost 45 minutes. But I felt like a runner.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it while you're starting out. get your distance up first, then start working on your speed
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i was motivated by my daughter to do the couch to 5k. I probably could go faster but I am still in the first week so we will see.

No...they actually recommend that if you think you could run slower to go slower, but if you think you can run faster to stay at that pace throughout. Trust me, when you get to W4D1 you will want a constant pace. I am currently at 4.5, I started at 5.0 but by W2D1 I was struggling, went down .5 and I am doing fine.

Remember, speed will increase over time once your body conditions more and more what you are doing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Run as slowly as you need to- don't worry about what is a running speed vs a jogging speed. Personally, the ONLY use I have for the word jogging is when someone is running much, much slower than their own comfortable pace. Generally though, if you're putting one foot in front of the other, and there are times when both feet are off the ground simultaneously, you're running.
  • ashleereign
    ashleereign Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this as well. Being 5'3" I thought that it might depend on my height when my (taller) friends are walking at 4.5 and I have to run. That speed is just much too fast for me to walk it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    the ONLY use I have for the word jogging is when someone is running much, much slower than their own comfortable pace.

I call that "wogging". It's what I do on a really bad day!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this as well. Being 5'3" I thought that it might depend on my height when my (taller) friends are walking at 4.5 and I have to run. That speed is just much too fast for me to walk it.

I'm 5'3" and I can't walk at 4.5- 4.0ish is the beginning of 'no-man's-land...that uncomfortable transitional speed between walking and running. Don't let being short make you think you won't be able to run fast though! Improving your turnover can make you (eventually) a much faster runner than someone with a naturally long stride and clumsy turnover. :bigsmile:
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    running or jogging it dont matter to me as long as I am moving who cares as long as I am not in the way of others out running
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it while you're starting out. get your distance up first, then start working on your speed

This! I've been running for three years. I completed my first half last October (2:43:58). Now that I know I can go the distance, I'm doing speed work. I'm aiming to complete my next half (in April) in less than 2:30.

To answer your first question, when I'm doing my speed work on the dreadmill (using the speed interval program), I set my jogging pace to 5.5 and my running pace to 6.5. But I'm also tall.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My inseam is only 26", so 4 mph is running for me :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It depends. For me jogging is a 9 minute mile.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Technically running is when both feet are in the air as opposed to walking where one foot is always on the ground. I would not worry about speed. Just do it. increase your run time a little each week.

I suggest making sure you have good running shoes fitted by a running store! Then do something like C25K, and then B210K after that. Your speed will increase when you increase your distances.

Runners often talk about pace, not miles or kilometers per hour. There are training paces, tempo run paces, race paces, and fartlek paces. Shoot for say a 12 minute mile to start. When you can do 3 miles, then increase to 4 miles etc.

HAVE FUN! Good luck.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    It depends. For me jogging is a 9 minute mile.

Yes, but...13.1 miles at 9 minutes per mile gives you a half marathon in under 2 hours. That sounds like running to me.