Preplanning and preparing food for the week

Options
I'm a CPA in the middle of tax season. I know that others are here are VERY busy as well. As I was roasting my veggies for lunch today, I wondered if I could do a big oven-full of veggies and roast them at the beginning of the week to use throughout the week?

I have been instructed to eat gluten-free by my doc and am replacing pasta with roasted veggies, I'm also just trying to eat a wider variety of veggies each day/week.

I'm all about working smart, not hard. Doing small things that may take a few extra moments today but will save oodles of time later. What kind of things do you do to eat better that saves time in the end?

Replies

• julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If I was allowed in my house, I would do all my cooking on Sunday and have it prepared alll through the week! It makes life soooo much easier so why not do a whole load of roast veg? I approve this suggestion! :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I actually do nearly all of my cooking on Sunday afternoons, including roasting veggies. I usually do some of the following: chicken pesto pasta with walnuts, turkey chili, red quinoa with wilted kale and pine nuts, turkey sausage casserole with peppers, sirloin steak teriyaki stir fry, steamed green beans with almonds. Today I made ham and bean soup.

I buy those Ziplock screw on lid containers to portion out individual servings and I typically leave some in the fridge for the current week and freeze some for the next week. Then I have plenty of variety and pretty much no prep during the week.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I just did this yesterday. I roasted a mix of root veggies and squash (turnips, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, beets, sweet potato and kabuki squash) I saved some to eat during the week and mixed the rest in my Vitamix to create a great soup. I baked a ton of chicken breasts too. Some of that went in my soup, some cut up for salads, some mixed in with buffalo spice for sammies later today and some for chicken lasagna. A few days ago I slow cooked a roast for tacos, chili and salads. Sure makes things easier to have the bottom two shelves full of yummy HEALTHY food ready to grab.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I steam/ cut/ roast all my veggies for the week and cook my chicken/salmon a couple of days in advance and then reheat and devour as necessary.
  • enid42
    enid42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I cook for three adults, two on a diet and one type one diabetic.

Last Sunday, I made three huge trays of roasted veggies. We use them as a veggie side, a quick snack and as a filling for a veggie omelet. I bake potatoes and sweet potatoes whenever I think about it. I'll cook a whole chicken in the crock pot and use the meat for sandwiches, stir frys and to go on salads. I portion it out in four ounce baggies. I've been making two-three batches of soup a week and I honestly eat leftover soup for breakfast because I hate to cook anything when I first get up. We also portion out trail mix, nuts and crackers, so everyone can grab what snacks they need for the day. I used to write the calorie count on the bags, but everyone knows it by now.

I probably do crock pot cooking 3 times a week, meaning that meat is cooked for dinner and I just need to come up with a carb and a veggie, that makes dinner less challenging. I keep backups of chicken sausage links, turkey tenderloins (with a long shelf date) and a few frozen meals for poor planning.

here's a few of my mainstay meals
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup.html
    http://www.friendsfoodfamily.com/friends-food-family/2012/10/lebanese-lemon-lentil-soup-with-swiss-chard.html
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I cook for three adults, two on a diet and one type one diabetic.

Last Sunday, I made three huge trays of roasted veggies. We use them as a veggie side, a quick snack and as a filling for a veggie omelet. I bake potatoes and sweet potatoes whenever I think about it. I'll cook a whole chicken in the crock pot and use the meat for sandwiches, stir frys and to go on salads. I portion it out in four ounce baggies. I've been making two-three batches of soup a week and I honestly eat leftover soup for breakfast because I hate to cook anything when I first get up. We also portion out trail mix, nuts and crackers, so everyone can grab what snacks they need for the day. I used to write the calorie count on the bags, but everyone knows it by now.

I probably do crock pot cooking 3 times a week, meaning that meat is cooked for dinner and I just need to come up with a carb and a veggie, that makes dinner less challenging. I keep backups of chicken sausage links, turkey tenderloins (with a long shelf date) and a few frozen meals for poor planning.

here's a few of my mainstay meals
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup.html
    http://www.friendsfoodfamily.com/friends-food-family/2012/10/lebanese-lemon-lentil-soup-with-swiss-chard.html

Serious organisational skills! Can I come stay with you guys? :P
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Since i usually end up cooking something different for the hubs i make all my meals once a week, i steam my veggies, make a batch of quinoa and grilled my chicken makes it so much easier. I am slowly working on getting him to eat some of the foods that i eat and some have gone good other not so much but what can i say he was raised on home cooked meals everyday, heck am happy he is willing to eat left overs til they are gone :)
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump...any more suggestions of steps you actually take to preplan for the week?
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I pre-portion out nuts into little bags of 25g

Also, I prepare and measure out fruit (banana, strawberries, etc) into bags - enough to make 1 fruit smoothie with (just add almond milk) and write the recipe into MFP so it's quick to add.

I also prewash all my fruit/veg so it's ready to go and repack my gym bag with post-workout snacks (protein bars/ raisins/ nuts/ dried apricots) etc.

Also make a batch of these mini-egg muffins - I make enough for 2 days (3 a day for breakfast) and keep them in the fridge, but I'm sure you could keep them for longer.. heat in mircrowave for 30 secs to eat:

4 x eggs
    50g wafer thin ham
    30g light cheese
    handful of chopped veggies (mushrooms, peppers, cooked brocolli, etc)
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Mix everything together in a jug, grease a muffin tray/line with silicone liners, divide out the mixture, Bake at 375(f) for 22ish minutes! About 80 calories, 7g protein, 5g fat each.. could just use egg whites for lower fat and cals!

Anyone got any tips for preparing high in protein foods? :)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I prepare & preportion all of my food on Saturday & Sunday. I measure out 1/2 c servings of cereal, chop strawberries, measure out 3/4 c servings of greek yogurt, make pumpkin protein bars (soooo good-i put half in the fridge and freeze the other half) and egg white muffins (these can be frozen). For lunch, I make a big batch of healthy soup-broccoli cheese, corn chowder, roasted potato, white beans, etc and put about 2 days worth in the fridge and freeze the rest in individual serving containers. For snacks, I hardboil a dozen eggs, measure out 1/4 c servings of raw almonds, chop veggies (sweet peppers, snow peas, etc). For dinner, I like to steam or roast veggies, especially spaghetti squash that I can just add a protein to (that way I'm not eating the exact same dinner every night). Then for post workout I have an apple and a protein shake-no prep needed there :) Feel free to look at my diary for ideas.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I cook everything for the week on Sundays, portion it out in tupperware, and have it ready to go and grab so I don't have to think about it. Brussel sprouts with olive oil and salt, and roasted in the oven are a huge one for me. I also grill chicken breasts, make a big batch of beet/apple/carrot/lemon/ginger juice, and make a pot of black beans. SO much easier!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do most of the cooking in our home so I just plan on making enough dinner for an extra lunch or two. I find it tends to work better for me if I keep it current enough I don't need to freeze anything so the most I usually prep is two days ahead. It makes logging it easier too since you can just copy the entire meal.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both hate cooking, so if we do it, we do it big. If we make chicken, we make enough for at least 4 meals for each of us. Same with soup. I would much rather cook a ton of food at once and portion it out than make a new recipe each night. Usually we eat the same thing for 3-4 days but so far we haven't gotten sick of it. I will usually use our pre-done meals for my lunch so packing it for work is easier.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I find most things taste a little off after 3 days or so. I cook chicken and hard boiled eggs 2x a week and will often cook enough of things like roasted veggies or sweet potatoes at the same time.

I decide what I'm eating for the week (2 dinners, 2 lunches, 2 breakfasts,4 snacks) because I don't mind eating similar main dishes (just easier and faster) plus it means less waste.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of soup on Saturday. Sunday I use the George Foreman grill (or grill outside spring - fall). Package up leftovers in individual portion sizes, for lunches and dinners during the week. We eat salads M-Thurs for supper, so I chop up veggies and leftover grilled meat for our salads so everything is read for the week. Always prep carrots, celery and radishes for the week ahead. Make sure fresh fruit is prepped too. Melons cut up, strawberries hulled, apple washed etc. Sometimes I do crock pot steel cut oats and freeze individual servings for bringing to work for breakfast. Both my husband & I have a long commute to work, so it saves time for me during the hectic work week.
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I spend a few hours on Sunday chopping vegetables and meat, making sauces, assembling spice mixtures and casseroles, forming meatloaves, or whatever I plan on eating for the week. If I can safely do it without compromising the food's quality, then it gets done on Sunday. It also helps that I make it a point to eat foods that can be easily prepped ahead of time.

Everything is kept in the fridge and I do all my cooking when I get home from work each evening.

I make large meals on evenings before I have school, so when I get home at 10:30/11 p.m. the next night I can just microwave some leftovers. This has helped curb the late-night trips to [insert deliciously disgusting fast food joint here] on the way home from school.

Last week (the first week I did this) was mostly things I just needed to pop in the oven for a bit, which was nice because I could go exercise and then do my homework. I didn't have to watch over anything.

This week is mostly stuff I will have to pay attention to, but shouldn't take much time to actually cook.

I will also be trying to incorporate the ol' slow cooker into the mix. I just can't seem to break away from chili and pot roast whenever I use that thing.

I'm still experimenting with what works best, but so far I'm very pleased with how things are going.
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I prepare & preportion all of my food on Saturday & Sunday. I measure out 1/2 c servings of cereal, chop strawberries, measure out 3/4 c servings of greek yogurt, make pumpkin protein bars (soooo good-i put half in the fridge and freeze the other half) and egg white muffins (these can be frozen). For lunch, I make a big batch of healthy soup-broccoli cheese, corn chowder, roasted potato, white beans, etc and put about 2 days worth in the fridge and freeze the rest in individual serving containers. For snacks, I hardboil a dozen eggs, measure out 1/4 c servings of raw almonds, chop veggies (sweet peppers, snow peas, etc). For dinner, I like to steam or roast veggies, especially spaghetti squash that I can just add a protein to (that way I'm not eating the exact same dinner every night). Then for post workout I have an apple and a protein shake-no prep needed there :) Feel free to look at my diary for ideas.

I must know more about these pumpkin protein bars.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Great tips, I really really need to start doing this.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm an attorney who works a ton, I don't think roasted veggies are that great after a day or so (or maybe if you freeze them?) but I'll cut up a bunch of raw veggies for crudite (and buy the carrot chips). The crock pot has been a lifesaver, I freeze individual portions from whatever I make. also, eggs/omlettes are a quick dinner.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a PhD student who works 2 jobs and I've decided that my freezer is my friend. I make up batches of turkey pasta sauce and put that over broccoli slaw. I crockpot chicken with bbq sauce, put leftovers in the freezer and they're ready for nuking with a side of veggies. Anything I can freeze, I will freeze because it saves precious time when I don't have time or I'm simply too tired. All the best to you!