Thyroid Tested Normal?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is just my experience...

I lost ALL of my weight BEFORE I was even diagnosed with hypothyroid. You CAN lose the weight and 9/10 it's your diet, exercise, and lifestyle.

I'm not saying if you ARE hypo you it's *not* harder to lose weight, but it's not impossible. Now then, you have your results.. Why are you still so hung up on it being something other than your own actions?

I'm sorry if I sound bitter but quite frankly I think it's disgusting how no one has any self accountability anymore. Everyone automatically assumes its something else that's causing their weight gain or inability to lose. This is exactly why there are so many doctors pimping out thyroid drugs and amphetamines to patients who don't need them!

I count my calories and eat within a range of 1300-1600.."bad" days can be 1800-2000 (I tend to gain at that level which is confusing after reading so much on calories and how much many eat to maintain. I've tried upping my calories after taking advice and this does not at all help my metabolism. I simply gain weight.
    I typically work out (cardio) anywhere from 30-60 minutes per day, 5-6 days a week.
    I typically eat lean protein and vegetables. I am very aware of my carbohydrate consumption...and only eat healthy carbs (think South Beach). It's funny, when I think back...I tend to gain when there are starchy foods involved...even if they are healthy. Like multi-grain bread/yams, etc. I don't eat white potatoes, rice, breads, etc...I follow low-GI eating. That being said, I tend to completely avoid carby foods if I'm trying to lose weight...because anything carby (even healthy carbs) prevent weight loss completely.
    Even so, I just don't understand why, in the end, people say calories are the most important thing to keep track of. I can count my calories and nothing will happen.... I just simply cannot go below what I am eating now, that would be starvation level, and that would have even more of an effect on my metabolism, I'm sure...

I tried Sea Kelp because of this question I am now asking all of you. I'm not completely convinced that my thyroid is in normal range if Endo's are now suggesting that the ranges now be cut off to 3.0.. Along with the other hypo-like symptoms I have experienced.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor an endocrinologist? That is who you should be seeing. Do you have a goiter? Do. You have a family history of hypothyroidism. Hashimoto's disease is an inherited disease which is usually female sex linked autoimmune disease usually occurring in your early 30 or sometimes after child birth. In this case you usually have a period of thyroid storm prior to using your function. Anyway, an endocrinologist is going to be more current of the new numbers as well as current treatment. Just so you know, most people who have hypothyroid disease and take supplements for it still struggle with weight loss because the extrinsic medication just isn't as effective as the hormone you produced before the hypothyroidism (or at least that is what I and my siblings who have hashimotos have found). Always question in regard to you own health care!
  • Cullinanmarti
    Options
    Is your doctor an endocrinologist? That is who you should be seeing. Do you have a goiter? Do. You have a family history of hypothyroidism. Hashimoto's disease is an inherited disease which is usually female sex linked autoimmune disease usually occurring in your early 30 or sometimes after child birth. In this case you usually have a period of thyroid storm prior to using your function. Anyway, an endocrinologist is going to be more current of the new numbers as well as current treatment. Just so you know, most people who have hypothyroid disease and take supplements for it still struggle with weight loss because the extrinsic medication just isn't as effective as the hormone you produced before the hypothyroidism (or at least that is what I and my siblings who have hashimotos have found). Always question in regard to you own health care!
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    There is no reason to be bitter. Try not to take your anger out on others.

I guess I should have asked for some friendly advice...which many of you have given me--and I thank you all for that.

I really have put in all the effort I possibly can at this point without starving myself... so I think I will take the advice of the others by getting a second opinion.

I'm not really sure why people are having thoughts that anyone would wish for an incurable disease. I was simply asking for advice based on my results and symptoms...and the articles/resources I have read.

I think this is the last time I will ask a question here.

Again, thank you to those who gave me friendly advice to my problem. I appreciate it!
  • Cullinanmarti
    Options
    I believe she IS being accountable for her health.....seeking information and questioning physician is part of her overall well being. Maybe you should examine how your rant about accountability is in anyway edifying and supporting of this person. Let's try information and positive support to teach fellow dieters through their individual life paths.
  • enchantedraisin
    Options

No, my doctor is an allergist and immunologist (my family sees him as well). He is a great doctor and has helped me with many other things but I am seeing that since he doesn't specialize in this...that may be an issue. I think I need to see an endocinologist. I am not sure that I have a goiter. I do have a family history of hypothyroidism.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Have you had a glucose tolerance test done as part of your workup - many of the symptoms you mention are present in pre-diabetes or diabetes. You can have a normal fasting blood sugar but if you are developing insulin resistance as in type 2 diabetes you will have an abnormal 2 hour post postprandial sugar.
    If you notice that you'r adding weight when your carbs are up - even if they are "good Carbs" then you may/probably have insulin resistance.
    You do not have to be obese to be a type 2, and you can have it with out realizing it.

Case in point I was just diagnosed last week - BMI 24 - active with "good diet" add vision changes and dry mouth to your symptoms and that was me at presentation!
  • Cullinanmarti
    Options
    Be aware that in hypothyroidism, there are also a lot of symptoms that are ignored. Do you find you have increasingly poor memory? Do you seems to lose the ability to remember simple tasks, or familiar words? Do you suddenly find yourself losing track of time (did I really just stare into space for 2 hours ?). Do I have increasing constipation? Just some of the symptoms related to hypothyroidism.....just information. Have a grat day and good luck on your search!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The numbers are higher when thyroid is low=hypothyroidism. So the post that had over 11 means very low.
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I see a reproductive endo for PCOS!!! poly cystic ovarium syndrom......its a *****. Can casue all the issues you have mentioned........I would get into an endo and get checked
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    He's probably not too focused on your weight I'd imagine, because you're so tall.

But of course, you're welcome to get a 2nd opinion. If something doesn't sound/feel right - seek a 2nd opinion. :)

I personally, have had a total thyroidectomy - because mine grew too big in my throat (i had caught a virus) - and had to be removed. So now I struggle with having NO thyroid lol.

But i have found that this website is helping so much! 9lbs 1 month woohoo :)
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    I personally, have had a total thyroidectomy - because mine grew too big in my throat (i had caught a virus) - and had to be removed. So now I struggle with having NO thyroid lol.

But i have found that this website is helping so much! 9lbs 1 month woohoo :)

That's great, you are doing an awesome job!
  • sschaaf56
    sschaaf56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have post partum hypothyroidism. My son is 31 yrs old. I delivered by C-Section. My body did not got thru the normal post delivery actions and my thyroid shut down. A normal thyroid is the size of a plum, mine is the size of a pea. They not only ran the blood work of T3, T4, T5 and TSH uptake, but they did a nucular medicine scan. I have been on synthroid for 30 years.
    Although it is a constant struggle to lose weight and keep it off, eating smart and exercising correctly does work.
    By all means, see an Endo that has a speciality in thyroid. Good luck!
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    Be aware that in hypothyroidism, there are also a lot of symptoms that are ignored. Do you find you have increasingly poor memory? Do you seems to lose the ability to remember simple tasks, or familiar words? Do you suddenly find yourself losing track of time (did I really just stare into space for 2 hours ?). Do I have increasing constipation? Just some of the symptoms related to hypothyroidism.....just information. Have a grat day and good luck on your search!

All of the above!!! The only way I can describe it, is that I feel like I am walking in a dream all the time. I feel like my mind is blurry, and asleep. I have an extremely hard time focusing most of all. I also have an issue with spacing out...it is all very frustrating.

He tested me for a variety of things and found that I have low Iron and B12, and mentioned that these things may be impairing the way my mind is functioning. I have been taking supplements for a month and I have seen no improvement
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    Have you had a glucose tolerance test done as part of your workup - many of the symptoms you mention are present in pre-diabetes or diabetes. You can have a normal fasting blood sugar but if you are developing insulin resistance as in type 2 diabetes you will have an abnormal 2 hour post postprandial sugar.
    If you notice that you'r adding weight when your carbs are up - even if they are "good Carbs" then you may/probably have insulin resistance.
    You do not have to be obese to be a type 2, and you can have it with out realizing it.

Case in point I was just diagnosed last week - BMI 24 - active with "good diet" add vision changes and dry mouth to your symptoms and that was me at presentation!

Wow that is really interesting to know!
    He did check everything as far as diabetes goes (because of family history) and thankfully I do not have it!

He did however say I have low blood sugar at some point (I am not sure if this is the same test...I am terrible at remembering which is which) but he said I need to watch what I eat (which I already do!) and he gave me a Low GI foodlist to follow...Which I already do...

Do you know what I should do about this? Do I need to cut out these healthy carbs as well?
  • fusion777
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but you all seem so knowledgable about this.

Can stress of a blood test cause a high reading? I am having surgery soon and had to get all kinds of blood work done (and totally freaking out). Everything came back fine except for thyroid (came in at 5.30). Doctor called, sent me for another test called TSH with reflex to free T4. New results were 3.80, so significantly less than the original.

I have no symptoms of a thyroid problem and have lost over 90lbs since last summer on a LCD (medically monitored).

My doctor doesn't seem concerned but I will ask about it at my next visit.
  • enchantedraisin
    Options

Can stress of a blood test cause a high reading? I am having surgery soon and had to get all kinds of blood work done (and totally freaking out). Everything came back fine except for thyroid (came in at 5.30). Doctor called, sent me for another test called TSH with reflex to free T4. New results were 3.80, so significantly less than the original.

I have no symptoms of a thyroid problem and have lost over 90lbs since last summer on a LCD (medically monitored).

You know what's funny is I had a thyroid test taken a number of years back and it came back above high, they told me I had an underactive thyroid...then they wanted to send in for another test to make sure and it came back normal. That is so weird? I wonder what it means...
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Has anyone had any success with natural supplements? Like Sea Kelp? I tried it...didn't seem to have any affect on me.

I had similar problems especially with hair loss. My thyroid came back "alright" but I started taking a Jamieson Kelp supplement every day just in case. I have noticed that I am experiencing less hair loss than I was. I had to stop all supplements for a two week period when I had back surgery and I noticed a lot more hair on my pillow case during that time. It is not a miracle but it does seem to help me. It look about three weeks to notice any benefit. I also take a b50 vitamin for fatigue :wink:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    My GP tested mine and it was in normal ranges . . . except I was losing hair, exhausted and had NO physical energy. Not to mentio we were seeking fertility treatments at the time.

My Reproductive Endocrinologist put me on thyroid meds right away (I was 3.1). Not only was my level too high for peak fertility (should be less than 2.5, less than 2 is ideal) but my TSH had doubled in less than 8 months - NOT good.

Be your own advocate, and check around. You are responsible for your own health, and I agree with someone else that some people are simply not aware or not using the new recommendations!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options

In some cases yes, but not for TSH.