3,500 cals burnt to lose 1 pound!

Options
Hi

I've just read that you need to burn 3,500 calories to lose one pound, but it doesn't make clear if that is through exercise alone or just living normally.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm just trying to plan my week & would like to know , so that I can plan proper workouts that will be the most effective for weight loss :)

thanks

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Did you go to goals and fill out that section?
  • prwhicks
    prwhicks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    3,500 more calories going out than coming in, whether through exercise or food.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You can lose the calories through a combination of exercise and calorie deficit. Just make sure you eat at least enough to keep your organs going (BMR). There's a thread on here called "in place of a road map" that spells it out really well.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't let those numbers freak you out.
    Just fill in your goals - as per another member's recommendation and start logging your food and exercise.
    The important thing is to make changes to your dietary and exercise regime that will help you eliminate those unwanted kilos and keep them off. And if you focus on establishing a sustainable lifestyle change then the weight will come off all on its own.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Look at it as 500 calories less per day to lose 1 pound per week. If you were eating 2000 calories a day and you changed to eating 1500 calories a day you would theoretically lose 1 pound per week. You could also achieve that by adding 500 calories a day of exercise instead of the calorie deficit.

That said, it really doesn't work that smoothly. You might do either or both and see a bigger or smaller weight loss. There's no exact science to it all so you have to play it by ear and have patience.
  • IMMABEASKINNYME
    IMMABEASKINNYME Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I currently have a fitness coach and just heard the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It makes sense when you think about it. You need to burn 3500 cals in 1 week to lose a pound. Right now I take 500 cals off daily meals to reach this which in turn equals 3500 cals in 7 days. I have lost 4 lbs this week. It's working for me! Good luck!