Eating enough fiber, drinking water- still constipated!

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    fats, strawberries are your friends.

Some claim chia seeds help too but I have never tried.

I usually got to go more times after a long run...
  • temilade_o
    Options
    I'll try adding a little more fat, I do t understand how it helps though. Thanks
  • cherchenette9555
    Options
    I am having the same problem right now! I love raw cabbage salads, and I think that started the back up. So, no cabbage for a week, added kefir four servings a day, and still having the problem. No bread, rice, banana's, wheat, corn, potatoes, just fruit, veggies, kefir, or yogurt, and chicken or a bit of beef!! Taking a stool softener, not much relief, either!! If this does't change by Monday, a Dr's appointment is my next "move. Pun intended!"
  • temilade_o
    Options
    Is there any way to change your diet without constipation?
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You can add mirilax if you are backed up. I take fiber pills and probiotics but I still need the occasional mirilax.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Greasy stools are not normal and you should really be talking to your doctor about this.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I take medication that causes constipation, so I am familiar with the issue. I use Magnesium Citrate powder which I buy on Amazon. It's flavored (sugar free) tastes good and you can adjust the dose to suit your needs (unlike magnesium tablets/capsules). The brand I use is called MagicMag. I recommend it highly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    I take medication that causes constipation, so I am familiar with the issue. I use Magnesium Citrate powder which I buy on Amazon. It's flavored (sugar free) tastes good and you can adjust the dose to suit your needs (unlike magnesium tablets/capsules). The brand I use is called MagicMag. I recommend it highly.

@lisakatz2 you have replied to a thread that has been inactive for 10 years. If any of these people are still on the forums, hopefully they have long since gotten help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »

@lisakatz2 you have replied to a thread that has been inactive for 10 years. If any of these people are still on the forums, hopefully they have long since gotten help.

@lynn_glenmont, I think there was a spam post in there that re-awakened the thread (i.e., I think I saw and flagged it, but my memory isn't fabuloso). If I'm recalling correctly, I don't think it was @lisakatz2 who woke the zombie, and it can be pretty easy to reply to a thread without noticing its age.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    @AnnPT77 No doubt you're right. The spam must have been removed by the time I got here, because at that point Lisa's was the first post in 10 years on this thread. I don't understand the harm in letting someone who somehow stumbled into a long-dormant thread know that they're talking to ghosts or zombies, but you're on here a lot more than I am, so I guess you know the rules better than I do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 No doubt you're right. The spam must have been removed by the time I got here, because at that point Lisa's was the first post in 10 years on this thread. I don't understand the harm in letting someone who somehow stumbled into a long-dormant thread know that they're talking to ghosts or zombies, but you're on here a lot more than I am, so I guess you know the rules better than I do.

I don't think it's a problem letting her know, either. Having seen the spam myself, I just didn't want Lisa to feel bad about commenting on the thread. I'm probably being weird that way. It's easy to do, and a whole different deal from doing a search and intentionally reviving a super-old thread. :flowerforyou:
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    @lisakatz2
    I'm very sorry if I made you feel weird. Last month, I (and @Annpt77 coincidentally) stumbled into a revived zombie thread, which I didn't notice at the time (just came across it again this evening, so I guess somebody new has been fooled by it), and I wish somebody between the original reviver and me had posted something so I wouldn't have wasted three or four minutes composing a response to somebody who was unlikely to come back and thus unlikely to benefit from my response. I know not everybody feels the same way about everything, but sometimes the best measuring stick you have is yourself, and I was just trying to save you and others from wasting time on a zombie thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10905396/can-i-share-my-recipes-with-other-people-on-my-fitness-pal#latest
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    No lynn, you didn't make me feel weird. My advice may help someone out there who is experiencing this problem, if not the OP. Magnesium Citrate powder works like a charm.
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drink 6oz of prune juice at night or after I’m done eating for the day. Also too much fiber does the opposite for me and I can’t go or I just get bloated. I take a magnesium supplement every day and that has worked for me. It has to be regular prune juice not light bc it’s the sugars in the prune juice that make the fiber in the juice work. Trust me, I’ve tried the light kind! Good luck!! Oh yes and pls go to the doctor.
  • Danawilsonnj
    Danawilsonnj Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 12
    Options
    Double your water intake. If you don’t like fresh fruit, try a fruit smoothie and applesauce instead. Prune juice when you first get home for the evening. Green vegetables daily. Probiotic pills and/ or yogurt which has probiotics in it. Have your blood levels checked. Diabetes and other problems can mess with your digestive system. Work with an allergist to see if you have any food allergies. Get a colonoscopy done too.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If old threads are so bad why doesn't MFP delete them after a set period of time. No need to call out people who want to add to a thread even though it is old. I read many old threads for advice and appreciate when anyone adds content.

It’s ok to respond to old threads.
    The only thing to keep in mind is that the original person who asked the question likely isn’t going to respond.

Occasionally they do. Very occasionally.
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah I just noticed it’s old but not anymore bc we awesome!! ✌🏻💪🏼😉
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I’ve had this issue on-and-off my whole adult life - diet or not. Here are a few things I learned that might be helpful…
    - Stress is a huge factor in bowel and digestive activity. Any recent stressors?
    - Definitely get checked on the oily stools.
    - Keep in mind most doctors are trained to identify and treat certain medical problems, but if they don’t identify any major issue they probably won’t have great advice for you regarding your diet (I’m sure there are some exceptions out there, I just haven’t found any!). If everything checks out medically, talk with a nutritionist/dietitian.
    - Getting enough fiber is great, but make sure you’re getting lots of different kinds of fiber. I think the recommendation is 30 different types of plants per week. I try to shoot for 10 different plants per day.
    - Probiotics can help, there are different types and nutritionist can usually help you identify one that is appropriate for you.
    - If you try something new, try to stay consistent with it for at least a week before changing it up. If your digestion is slow, like mine, it can take a few days to adjust.
    - Fiber supplements and laxatives can help for temporary relief, but I found for me they didn’t solve the overall problem and just prolong the issue.

This is based on my own experience so might not all apply, but I hope it’s helpful!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This cant be an everyday thing, but recently I ate 1lb of brined garlic/jalapeno stuffed olives.
    (I love them and needed to clear space in the fridge)
    Let's just say it had a turbo boost effect that you may find useful.