Running shoe recommendation

Options
Hi all! I need recommendations for a new running shoe! I love my vibrams, but the balls of my feet get tender almost to the point of blistering. I want a more cushioned pair to give the balls of my feet a break and to wear to spin class. I tend to slightly over-pronate and run more on the inside of my foot. I also have higher-than-average arches. I don't really want to pay more than $100, but for the right shoe I'd consider it. I also don't care if it's a men v. women's shoe. Thanks! =)

Replies

• SnivyToast
    SnivyToast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Merrell makes some nice barefoot shoes with a bit more cushioning.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I've had problems with my feet for years now! I've gone to all kinds of doctors to fix it.....talk of steroid shots, physical therapy, orthotics, etc.....surgery is the fix one day apparently. I was told I "just don't have the feet for running". Nice. I thought I'd just have to fight through the pain until the day I get the surgery. BUT I just found Nike Flex recently. Since then, I've increased my running and I haven't had the pains I normally have. You might check into those! I got mine for 60 bucks, I think.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. Having shoes customized to your body and gait will be worth WAY more than any recommendation anyone can give here based on their own bodies. :)

(But, Brooks FTW! lol)
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i have acer running shoes, i have used for a couple years now, they are great but more then $100... i also just bought some Nike Lunars but find that they hurt my feel for running. they might work for some but they have less support then i am use to so they dont work for me. im back to my old acers.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    get your gait checked out, then buy some nikes.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love the Nike Pegasus, have worn out 3 pairs now and keep coming back for more!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love LOVE love my merrell barefoot shoes.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/50398/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Pace-Glove

They still give me all the benefits of the vibrams but a little softer on the feet and (the reason I switched) warmer in winter.
  • lgran81
    Options
    Thanks all for the recommendations! I went to Sports Authority and the associate was very helpful. I purchased a pair of Nike Dual Fusion. They seemed fine at the store, very comfortable. Then I got home and put them on again and ran a bit.... the arch support is off - it seems too low. Part of it was on my heel. Was not comfortable - it actually started hurting. Has anyone else had arch support issues with Nike? Definitely returning them so I guess I'm back to square one! I'm going to check out the Merrells and probably go to my local running store Fleet Feet. Guess I should just spend the money and invest in a good pair of shoes!

Thanks again all for the recommendations =)
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Love my Mizuno Wave Inspire 9.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the recommendations! I went to Sports Authority and the associate was very helpful. I purchased a pair of Nike Dual Fusion. They seemed fine at the store, very comfortable. Then I got home and put them on again and ran a bit.... the arch support is off - it seems too low. Part of it was on my heel. Was not comfortable - it actually started hurting. Has anyone else had arch support issues with Nike? Definitely returning them so I guess I'm back to square one! I'm going to check out the Merrells and probably go to my local running store Fleet Feet. Guess I should just spend the money and invest in a good pair of shoes!

Thanks again all for the recommendations =)

You need to go to a running shop where they check you you in various shoes, not a Sports Authority.
  • buggaboo87
    Options
    I over pronate and have a problem with high arches. Our local running store recommended Asics for me. I'm on my second pair and love them!
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go get properly fit for shoes at a running store. It's REALLY important to have appropriate shoes to avoid injury. (Take it from someone who always wore the cheap shoes & ended up with plantats fasciatis. NOT FUN).
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. Having shoes customized to your body and gait will be worth WAY more than any recommendation anyone can give here based on their own bodies. :)

(But, Brooks FTW! lol)

^^^^This!

Go to your Fleet Feet store and have them fit you. It's that or trial and error, trying different shoes until you find one you like.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Do a web search in your area for a Running Shoe store. Aim for a local store if you can versus a "corporate chain" and go there to get fitted, or at least get some info if you don't like their prices. :bigsmile: Remember every 300-500 miles you need new shoes, doesn't matter if they still "look good" or not. Also if you workout everyday you should have two pairs, to allow one to fully dry out before you use them again. They will get you closer to that 500 mile # that way.
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look at Altras. I bought the Instinct 1.5 in December; I think the women's version is the Intuition. Zero drop, but padded. I like my pair, and they're worth a look.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yes! Go to a "local" running store. Get your gait checked out... and run/walk laps around the store with several different shoes, in different brands.. When you narrow it down to 2, wear one style on your left, and the other on your right. Do a lap... then switch the styles on your feet and do another lap (or 3 or 4). :laugh: My local store has a "track" inside... so that was fun too!

When I went in, I found that in one combination (brand A on left, brand B on right), I did not have any foot pain at all, but when I switched the feet (brand A on right), all of a sudden I felt a "post" under my heel in one brand that I didn't notice before.

The shoes I came home with are great! Love them. Hate the color... but love the shoes.

Oh, and I also love that I had a full 30 days of running in the shoes outside to make up my mind. At any time w/in those 30 days I could exchange for another pair if I needed to. I didn't... but I liked the possibility if I needed to.