Calculating Body Fat %

Options
Okay, I've just been to the top three sites that came up on my google search. All three asked to measure different body parts and all three came up with a different number. If it was a percentage or two off, that would be one thing. The results I got varried from 32 to 46 percent! So my question is, which do it yourself method is most accurate?

Replies

• GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    get a scale that can tell you your % body fat... they arent much more than a regular scale!!! :happy:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For more accuracy I would use a skinfold test where they use a caliper, and with someone who knows what they are doing. I don't know where you live, but I know around here the local clinic does it for a small fee. Its very accurate. Home scales are pretty iffy--especially if they are cheap. Check with your local clinic...or if you have a gym membership you can check to see if they offer that as well. Good luck! I know for me the body fat % is the number I really want to reduce...I'm not as worried about the scale anymore.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Cheap scales are iffy but if you get a good one like i have it is very accurate within .5-1%.... i've had both done and they came out around the same amount. Just check the reviews and research the scale before you buy one. I love my scale and i've lost 2.5% body fat in 5 weeks!!! Oh and my scale cost me about $40 which was well worth it!!! Good luck!!! :smile:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    When I joined my gym I had a fitness assessment that included body fat measurement. It's best to have it done by another person who knows how to do it. On my own I'm having trouble even getting my waist and hip measures right - sometimes I seem to be gaining inches although my clothes are getting more and more loose :huh: .