fruits and veggies

Options
lreed
lreed Posts: 348 Member
So I am trying for at least 6 fruits and veggies a day, What does everyone else do? Do you have tips to sneaking in some fruits and veggies into your diet?

Replies

• guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I do salads with lots of different veggies and I add so fruit in to (yum apples or Strawberrys) are a great choice and go really well with mixed greens. Also I eat banana with nutella for breakfast (Chocolate covered banana (sort of)But it is really hard for me to make more than 4 each day and the days I hit 6 I am really stuffed :bigsmile:
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    sneak them in???? let them use the front door like all the other food you buy. i love fruits and veggies and am always a little mystified by people who don't like them so i don't mean to sound like a pusher here, it's just fruit induced enthusiasm!!! try different ones, i don't necessarily mean seeking out exotic ones but different varieties of fruits you already know, for example, i've heard people say they don't like apples but there are so many different types of apples all with a distinct taste and even textural differences. also, if you buy locally grown produce in season it makes a world of difference. macintosh are one of my very favourite apples but you couldn't pay me to eat the ones sold in big chain grocery stores. continuing that theme, with very little space you can grow your own tomatos, (grape tomatos, 3 bucks worth of soil in a bucket, a stick for them to climb, a little sunshine. you'll be surprised what you get) and seriously, eating tomatos you've grown yourself will make you wonder how those horrible red things grocery store call tomatos can even be sold for human consumption!!! don't get trapped into thinking the only way to get veggies in the diet is by eating boring, blands salads, explore other cuisines, asian foods make much difference use of vegetables than us westerners, and thai food is very different from chinese which is very different from japanese (food court versions of these foods are not indicative of what they're really like, by the way) this is getting too long and i've probably long since lost you but hopefullly you get the idea of what i;m trying to get across, experiment and explore!!! get out of the mentality that food is just fuel and depressing statistics, healthy food can be fun!!!
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    I readjusted the traditional food pyramid combining fruits & veggies as the base of my diet instead of grains & pastas which I place on the next step above followed by protein & dairy in it's own grouping.
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always get 3 fruits in per day. This can include raisins, craisins, dried fruit or even juices. WIth vegetables, I always keep raw stuff and spray with dressing as a snack and double up on portions for dinner. Keep in mind that you should get 3 servings of dairy per day too.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i recommend eating more vegetables than fruit. it is easy to 'sneak' them into spagetti, sloppy joes, mac and cheese, etc. plus, there are so many ways to make them on their own (raw, steamed, grilled, baked, broiled, seasoned, etc) so you will have to experiment with how you like them. feel free to send me a message if you want specific ideas.
    dawn
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Veggies are so expensive right now!! I can't wait for the farmer markets!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    sneak them in???? let them use the front door like all the other food you buy. i love fruits and veggies and am always a little mystified by people who don't like them so i don't mean to sound like a pusher here, it's just fruit induced enthusiasm!!! try different ones, i don't necessarily mean seeking out exotic ones but different varieties of fruits you already know, for example, i've heard people say they don't like apples but there are so many different types of apples all with a distinct taste and even textural differences. also, if you buy locally grown produce in season it makes a world of difference. macintosh are one of my very favourite apples but you couldn't pay me to eat the ones sold in big chain grocery stores. continuing that theme, with very little space you can grow your own tomatos, (grape tomatos, 3 bucks worth of soil in a bucket, a stick for them to climb, a little sunshine. you'll be surprised what you get) and seriously, eating tomatos you've grown yourself will make you wonder how those horrible red things grocery store call tomatos can even be sold for human consumption!!! don't get trapped into thinking the only way to get veggies in the diet is by eating boring, blands salads, explore other cuisines, asian foods make much difference use of vegetables than us westerners, and thai food is very different from chinese which is very different from japanese (food court versions of these foods are not indicative of what they're really like, by the way) this is getting too long and i've probably long since lost you but hopefullly you get the idea of what i;m trying to get across, experiment and explore!!! get out of the mentality that food is just fuel and depressing statistics, healthy food can be fun!!!
    I am doing good with getting the six in, but I do want to incorporate more, so I am trying to sneak them in on top of what I am doing. The family starts revolting when the plate is 3/4 veggies (something about that 14 year old teenage boy that makes it more difficult, hence the sneaking! :wink: I am not really a salad person, so that isn't how I get in the veggies, I don't have problems with the fruits but the veggies take a little more prep time! Can't wait for the garden to get started, I am looking forward to the bountiful zuchini, tomatoes, lettuce! Oh my! I have been steering away from asian foods because they seem much higher in sodium unless I am prepping them myself, but we will have to put a stirfry on the menu this week! Thanks for taking the time to answer! Hey my food journal is public, if anyone has ideas for me, I am ALWAYS OPEN! My diet is heavily weighted towards protein (Heavy workout routine of boot camp daily) and lower in carbs (trying to focus on whole grains, fruits and veggies for carbs):happy: :happy: