Heart rate monitor question

Options
Question for those who may know.

Looking into getting a heart rate monitor..... There are tons out the and looking at all the product descriptions some of them say they track calories others don't mention it.

So my question is do the all count calories burned?

Thanks for the help

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Not all HRMs count calories, most do, but there are still some out there that just track your heart rate. An affordable and reliable option is the Polar FT4 it counts calories, is easy to use and lasts a long time. Just look at customer reviews of the HRMs and there may be more inforamtion included.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I think that maybe the fitbit tracks all of them, but I'm not sure. What I have is a Polar FT4, the kind with the watch and chest strap, and I use it to track my calories burned during exercise. I LOVE it!
  • Countryslove
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. It does track calories and is really easy to use.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I have a WaHoo. I love that it syncs to my iPhone and the app works very well for me. I set it to tell me how many calories i've burned when I'm out on a run so I know when I've earned a brownie for desert :blushing: All kidding aside - I do like it. Once I've had it on for a few minutes I forget it's there.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Remember, Heart Rate Monitors are only good at counting calories when the Heart is beating between approximately 90 and approximately 160 or so beats per minute. This is not amanufacturing defect; outside of this range, heart rate and caloric expenditure are no longer easily correlated. Therefore, wearing an HRM all day long will *not* give you an accurate read of caloric expenditure.

I have a Polar FT4M and love it. Extremely easy to use for what it is designed to do - measure discrete workout sessions.
  • janeilm89
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and it is freaking amazing! I bought mine locally and paid $90 but I think you can order from Amazon and get it for as low as $60. It shows you your target heart rate zone and notifies if you fall below, so you know if you're getting an effective workout. Also the calorie counter on it is awesome. I did a lot of research before going out and purchasing it and this model has rave reviews all around!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Remember, Heart Rate Monitors are only good at counting calories when the Heart is beating between approximately 90 and approximately 160 or so beats per minute. This is not amanufacturing defect; outside of this range, heart rate and caloric expenditure are no longer easily correlated. Therefore, wearing an HRM all day long will *not* give you an accurate read of caloric expenditure.

^^ very true!

the app I use beeps at me if I go above my max rate (which happens to be 158). Another thing I love about it is that I can set it to tell me when I've entered a new heart rate zone so I know when to pump it up for a sprint or super set and when to calm down. Makes HIIT a bit more do-able.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I have a Polar FT4M and love it. Extremely easy to use for what it is designed to do - measure discrete workout sessions.

I also have the Polar FT4 and I Iove it. Glad I read this post. I've only worn it for exercise, but I was thinking of wearing it all day just to see what my total daily burn is.
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Here's another question. I have been changing the settings on mine about every 5 pounds that I lose. Is that about right, or should I be doing that more or less often?
  • princerazon
    Options
    I have Polar FT4 and it's brilliant
  • ronboy1979
    ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info I think the polar ft series are the ones that I'm going to look into!!!

Thanks again everyone!