Cooking with wine

Options
Curious. Does anybody else cook with wine? If so, how do you post it here?

Tonight I sauteed chicken and veggies and finished it making a pan sauce with some white wine. BTW, it was wonderful. I had a glass anyway, so I just added to that. But do you add it? If so how.

When I make a pan sauce, it is reduced by at least half, in this case probably more. Most, if not all, of the alcohol is gone unlike other things.

Thanks,

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I add it in as part of the recipe..
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I never thought about that. I include the full amount in the recipe, but you are probably right than when you reduce a pan dish by half, you evaporate off most of the alcohol and associated calories. There's some more info on the effects of cooking on alcohol content here: http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/recipes-with-alcohol/
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've always just added the full amount into my recipe. If it's a little less calories, I don't worry about it too much. Nothing like a good pan sauce :)
    What I've avoided doing is cooking with bones lately, no idea how I'd calculate what I get out of the bones.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yep. With the pan sauce, I would hazard a guess that any alcohol was down to 5-10%. I have exercise calories to spare, so it's not a deal breaker. Just one of those questions that popped into my head while watching the Super Bowl.

I may have another glass of chardonnay. :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food. Ha! :drinker:

But seriously, yes, I do cook with it and just add it in the recipe.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just cooked a crockpot pot roast in wine and broth with a lot of veggies and counted all of it because I ate the veggies with the wine/broth mixture.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    However much I added to the pan, I include those calories in my recipe. Most of the calories come from the sugar, not the alcohol, so the difference after cooking is minimal. I make up for it by pouring myself a glass. :laugh: :drinker:
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Good point on the sugars. Despite that, I am having another glass. It is SB Sunday. That's my excuse.