A calorie is a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie LoL

Options
Am I the only one on here that just counts calories as just that, a calorie? I don't even pay attention to the daily fat , carbs, or protein they allot me on here. I think I'm just not up to keeping up with all that. So far I am seeing weightloss slow and steady and I am happy with that. I am sure that if I actually paid attention to those ( fat, protein, etc ) that I would lose maybe quicker? But I still feel awesome and I am seeing a substantial difference every week. Anyone else who is like me? Thanks!

Replies

• avedon
    avedon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thats kind of how I see it. I am not a maths person so I'm focussing on one number right now - calories (ok, two, weight as well!).
    Two weeks in I am thinking I need to start noticing those other numbers - to be healthy as well as thin (hopefully!) so maybe this should be a new aim :-)
    I think that if I paid more attention to the numbers, and ate more fresh and less processed food maybe I'd have better results.
    I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions on this too!
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Initially yes, I was just working on calories in, calories out. But I was looking to create a healthier lifestyle for myself, and that has to do with way more than just the calories. Too much fat, carbs, and sugar (especially if from unhealthy sources like fried foods, desserts, etc) can not only slow weight loss, but could cause you to store more fat, even if you do continue to lose weight. I also must focus on my sodium and fiber intake because I have high blood pressure. But these 2 values are important for overall weight loss too. Excess sodium can cause water retention, which can lead to several pounds gained on the scale, and fiber rids the body of excess waste (and sodium) so more frequent BMs can certainly help you weigh less. The way I've heard some people explain it is that, theoretically you could eat 1200 cals worth of m&ms in a day or have several small, healthy meals throughout the day=1200 cals. Either way you're at a caloric deficit and will lose weight, but with the m&ms you're just a flabby, sickly, smaller version of your former self. I can't help but think of Romy& Michelle's HS Reunion-their "diet" was low fat gummy bears and jelly beans all day :laugh: I hope this info helps!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I focus mostly on the calories and try not to go too far in the red on fat. Usually I do pretty well and stay under goal on fat calories. If I have olive oil or nuts that day it is "good" fat I am getting and the system doesn't immediatly tell you what % of healthy and unhealthy you are getting. I always seem to be in the red on protien and never really think to much about it and my carbs are always way under. As long as you are healthy and energetic and close to the goals then I think it is ok.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think counting calories has forced me to make more wise decisions as far as healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables. My calories go a lot further with the fruits and vegetables as snacks as opposed to processed chips and sweets. Of course, I do indulge in those things too, but I keep it within my calorie goal and it's only once in a while.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I believe that a balanced diet is just as important as total calories. Your body will function much better on a clean & balanced diet rather than total calories alone.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I echo what has been said above. I only look at the calories, but I make a point of aiming for at least 5-6 serving of fruit and veggies daily, and balanced meals, meaning something from at least 3 of the food groups at every meal. To me this is just easier than trying to micro-manage the #'s.
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am focusing most on calories. I tend to go over most on the carbs, sometimes I go over on protein, I hardly ever go over on fat. It always seems that I am only over on one thing at a time though (like just carbs). I have only been doing this for a little over 20 days so I don't want to worry too much since I am already making big changes to my diet. I will try and work on watching my carbs in a few weeks when I can go grocery shopping again.
  • My45Chelle
    Options
    I pay attention to the sugars, salt, fat and fiber. I know that I retain water already, so I want to keep the sodium as low as possible. I also know that I don't get enough fiber and that I eat too many sugary items, so those are all key factors in changing my eating habits. But, everyone has to start somewhere, so keep counting calories and much success.
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound a little weird for a 23 year old, but will taking a fiber supplement like that metamucil help with being regular? I really havent been regular since I started this couting calories and I know I am not getting all the proper nutrients bc one day I will have enough fruit, but the next day no fruit but plenty of veggies. I know a balanced diet is going to help benefit me more, but for now I will concentrate on calories alone. Too much thinking can cause an anuerism :explode: At least for me :tongue:
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Remember to drink plenty of water and get some exercise that gets your feet moving like dance,walking or running. Walking ,water and fruits and veg are better than powdered fiber IMHO. If it happens very often I would ask your doctor.
  • lemchan
    lemchan Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Danielle! I'm 22, and I have had that problem a couple of times. I would suggest trying to incorporate more fiber into your diet rather than taking it in the form of metamucel etc. Granola and Oatmeal are really good, and they will get you going in the morning, and get you started out really regular. They work for me anyway!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Metamucil (psyllium fiber) is actually very beneficial to add to your diet for regularity and overall health. The regular smooth orange flavor adds about 45 calories and 9 grams of sugar per serving though...and it's recommended to drink it 3 times/ day.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My only comment on this subject is that all calories are NOT created equal. :flowerforyou:
  • danielle4992
    Options
    I work out at least 3 times a week ( im military and we work out at least 3 times a week as a group ) ... i think i need to add more veggies though.. and the water... i drink at least 64 ounces a day.. I have a little jug I carry around from rubbermaid that is 64 ounces and I make myself drink all of that before I can have something like my tea with splenda... thanks for the advice though!
  • danielle4992
    Options
    Oh yeah , I forgot!!! I also always have a FiberOne carmel and oats bar every day for breakfast teehee :)
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    Oh yeah , I forgot!!! I also always have a FiberOne carmel and oats bar every day for breakfast teehee :)

Those things are like crack! They're soooo good!
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I look at all of it, but I am always over in my proteins. I just try to make sure there is alot of fiber in my carbs (no white bread, pasta, etc.). But I am a protein craving person..... what can I say?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Well, the thing is that a calorie isn't just a calorie. Your body doesn't just need calories -- it needs nutrition as well. So, really, in order to be healthy, you have to focus on taking in *quality* calories. Work on getting the most nutrition per calorie as possible.

But, yeah, from a weight loss standpoint, you can consume nothing but a 12 pack of light beer every day and still lose weight. You'll be malnourished and nasty, but it can be done (I've witnessed it).
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I focus primarily on calories. However, I like to eat so I tend to make better choices so that I can eat more: grilled instead of fried, no non-nutritional condiments, less refined sugars and flours....that kind of thing. In the end, I am usually a bit low on fat, a little high on protien and the rest works itself out. I don't worry too much about it.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound a little weird for a 23 year old, but will taking a fiber supplement like that metamucil help with being regular? I really havent been regular since I started this couting calories and I know I am not getting all the proper nutrients bc one day I will have enough fruit, but the next day no fruit but plenty of veggies. I know a balanced diet is going to help benefit me more, but for now I will concentrate on calories alone. Too much thinking can cause an anuerism :explode: At least for me :tongue:

Drink lots of water first and foremost. I bought Fiber Gummy's at Target and two of those a day, to the tune of 5 grams of fiber has really helped me out as well even though I only take them about three times a week. WAY better than those nasty benefiber pills or metamuck.