Worst Gym Experience?

Options

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I want to thank Croz1007 and Doodlewhopper.

Croz: The Consumerist picked up my story! Excellent idea!

Doodlewhopper: You may notice I lifted some of your wording, because you said it better than I could.

http://consumerist.com/2013/02/05/gym-staff-member-bullies-couple-for-being-fat-they-want-out-of-their-contract/

I also sent a consumer complaint to the local TV news station and a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. I am hoping that with enough of this publicity, they will not only void my contract, but also become a little more selective of trainers and open to a wider (no pun intended!) variety of people.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    High five to you for standing up for your right to expect to be treated with dignity and respect! Especially when you are paying for it. This is the problem with shows such as the Biggest Loser that send a message to personal trainers that its o.k. to become personal abusers. Does that gym not realize that good customer service is what keeps customers coming back????
    That trainer should be fired for harassing the members he was hired to help. Rather than sharing my worst gym experience - I'd like to share that there are alternatives. There are trainers, gyms, and organizations out there that work with people of all body sizes with dignity and respect.. A google search should bring some of them up.

I decided to watch a couple episodes of TBL this season, because I was curious. Jillian Michaels scared the absolute crap out of me, and I was not at all surprised that her team was not doing well under her "leadership." I was also freaked out by the people passing out and puking all over the place in the first episode. People think this show is a good thing? Really?!
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I saw that on the Consumerist and wondered if it was you!
  • westva2nc
    Options
    I belong to O2 now, and love it- BUT before my gym was owned by O2, it was something else...like a couple of names a couple of times. At my heaviest, I went in and talked to the guy who managed the personal trainers. When I said I'd need to run the price of the monthly draft for personal training by my husband, he said "if your husband says he doesn't want to pay, then he really doesn't care about your health."

Say what? PT is expensive. I knew it would take some rearranging of our budget to pay for the sessions...but that guy's nasty attitude made me walk out and not even consider training sessions there. I was not sad in the least bit when that fitness chain failed. With more equipment and better ownership, I love my gym now. And I wish I knew where that *kitten***** guy was today, now that there's nearly 80 pounds less of me- and I didn't use a trainer.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What irritates me is when people come to the gym either not having washed or are wearing dirty gym gear.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    I belong to O2 now, and love it- BUT before my gym was owned by O2, it was something else...like a couple of names a couple of times. At my heaviest, I went in and talked to the guy who managed the personal trainers. When I said I'd need to run the price of the monthly draft for personal training by my husband, he said "if your husband says he doesn't want to pay, then he really doesn't care about your health."

Say what? PT is expensive. I knew it would take some rearranging of our budget to pay for the sessions...but that guy's nasty attitude made me walk out and not even consider training sessions there. I was not sad in the least bit when that fitness chain failed. With more equipment and better ownership, I love my gym now. And I wish I knew where that *kitten***** guy was today, now that there's nearly 80 pounds less of me- and I didn't use a trainer.

That guy sounds like a real charmer. Ugh.
    My brother and sister in law are members of the O2 in Apex (?) and haven't mentioned any issues, but they are also not fat. We are members at Fuquay-Varina.
  • westva2nc
    Options

That guy sounds like a real charmer. Ugh.
    My brother and sister in law are members of the O2 in Apex (?) and haven't mentioned any issues, but they are also not fat. We are members at Fuquay-Varina.

SHUT.UP:) I go to the Fuquay and Cary locations:) PM me! I also go to a new gym in Holly Springs called TKO and love it there!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Doodlewhopper: You may notice I lifted some of your wording, because you said it better than I could.

http://consumerist.com/2013/02/05/gym-staff-member-bullies-couple-for-being-fat-they-want-out-of-their-contract/

I also sent a consumer complaint to the local TV news station and a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. I am hoping that with enough of this publicity, they will not only void my contract, but also become a little more selective of trainers and open to a wider (no pun intended!) variety of people.

You totally rock!!! Good for you not taking that crap!

My worst experience happened one day after a great workout. I had a date after so I brought my stuff to get showered and ready before I left the gym. I'm happily walking along towards a shower and I see..."something" ...on a shelf in the shower. I slow down, squint, and keep walking toward the shower trying to identify what I was seeing. I think my brain wouldn't allow me to accept what I was seeing. Something small, tubular, and slightly reddish. At this point I hear the music from Jaws in my head. Dun dun. Dun dun dun dun. Dear God, help me, it's a bloody tampon! I just about jumped out of my flip flops, dropped my towel, and almost killed myself jumping over a bench to get away. For cryin' in the night, what kind of person would leave that behind?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

LOL....my pleasure

btw - Contact the BBB & the State Attorney General. Then call the credit card company and be very assertive but polite. Stay in control as they may be recording your call.

Explain that you have made a complaint with the BBB/State Attorney Gen & that you want the charges for the gym membership stopped. The CC companies have become more reluctant to do this, but regardless, demand they do so because this is a case of consumer fraud & that the gym is wanting to force you from using the facilities but still collect the fees.

If the CC company refuses ask to speak with a supervisor; calmly and with dignity explain the situation (practice the words before calling). You want the supervisor on your side. If the supervisor still refuses, then state that you wish to cancel the credit card immediately.

Contact the Gym management and inform them that you want a complete refund or you will be taking them to small claims court. The rules for small claims courts vary from state to state. You will have to call the local small claims court and they will help you. I cant tell you how many times I have filed small claims only for the defendant to call and concede.

I am not a lawyer, but have worked as a consultant for businesses and have been on both sides of the fight. If you have questions, in box me. Be a bear, do not give up.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

You totally rock!!! Good for you not taking that crap!

My worst experience happened one day after a great workout. I had a date after so I brought my stuff to get showered and ready before I left the gym. I'm happily walking along towards a shower and I see..."something" ...on a shelf in the shower. I slow down, squint, and keep walking toward the shower trying to identify what I was seeing. I think my brain wouldn't allow me to accept what I was seeing. Something small, tubular, and slightly reddish. At this point I hear the music from Jaws in my head. Dun dun. Dun dun dun dun. Dear God, help me, it's a bloody tampon! I just about jumped out of my flip flops, dropped my towel, and almost killed myself jumping over a bench to get away. For cryin' in the night, what kind of person would leave that behind?

Seriously, no joking, that is a bio hazard.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think the worse exp for me was when my PT called me a liar about my food/calories, told me I was secretly binge eating or something. After 5 months of doing it her way, I quit going to the gym and went to a doctor. My results from the doctor were very telling and I was put on a medical diet. After 6 months of no gym or PT I went back a 1.5 months ago (stuck with 8 more sessions with this women!) 65lbs lighter.

A month ago she brought up my diet and asked me how many calories I have been eating, and told me if I ate 1600+ calories a day I would gain weight. Then tells me that I should stop, cut it down to 1200 again and I would see weight loss. I then remind her we did it "her way" for 5 months with no results, my way has worked so far and is being supervised by a MD! I think I got this thing down! :p
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    Update: I have been in contact with the CEO and the "VP of Fitness." They both seem to think this is about money or "buyer's remorse." They keep offering free sessions with a different trainer. They can't or won't understand that I can not walk through those doors. How do I make them understand just how scared I am to run into this guy, even if he is 'on his best behavior' or whatever?

I have a panic attack just thinking about trying to go back in and work out there. I am *scared.* I hate being this afraid, and feeling so weak and pathetic. HATE it. I don't want free training, and haven't even really asked for a refund. I just want out. I want this whole ordeal behind me.

Why won't they just let me out?!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Update: I have been in contact with the CEO and the "VP of Fitness." They both seem to think this is about money or "buyer's remorse." They keep offering free sessions with a different trainer. They can't or won't understand that I can not walk through those doors. How do I make them understand just how scared I am to run into this guy, even if he is 'on his best behavior' or whatever?

I have a panic attack just thinking about trying to go back in and work out there. I am *scared.* I hate being this afraid, and feeling so weak and pathetic. HATE it. I don't want free training, and haven't even really asked for a refund. I just want out. I want this whole ordeal behind me.

We had a similar experience with our gym.

I wanted out of my training contract because my trainer was being switched and I didn't want a new one.. Neither did my mom.

They told us the only way to get out was to bring a doctors note in. Which is what I suggest you do. Bring in a doctors note saying that you are not cleared for exercise.. and they can't argue after that!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

The issue as I see it is you never wanted to have attention drawn to yourself as you are self conscious; that you only want an end to this drama as you have suffered emotionally....and after this humiliating experience you dont know if you will ever have the courage to step foot in a gym again.

Tell corporate you have had enough of the spotlight and it's time to put this issue to rest. Tell them they can keep whatever dues they have collected, but you will not concede another dollar. Tell them this thing will end up costing a lot more the longer they try to drag this out. (lawyers are expensive & they will be spending valuable time in court.)

Without repeating, I suggest you continue to follow what I outlined earlier.
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    That's horrible! =( You're at the gym trying to better yourself, you shouldn't be ridiculed.

For me, it was when I fell off the treadmill when running. (Yeah, it happened.)
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had a dude hit on me by...telling me how he almost died being stabbed in the neck. It was awkward.

I have a spinning instructor who claims she's going to start *****ing out the spinners who don't have proper shoes. She's been on vacation the past couple weeks but she's back Friday, so we'll see. According to her, dropping $100 should be no big deal for anyone. I'm not a fan of the "check your privilege" retort but I think it applies here.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options

The issue as I see it is you never wanted to have attention drawn to yourself as you are self conscious; that you only want an end to this drama as you have suffered emotionally....and after this humiliating experience you dont know if you will ever have the courage to step foot in a gym again.

Tell corporate you have had enough of the spotlight and it's time to put this issue to rest. Tell them they can keep whatever dues they have collected, but you will not concede another dollar. Tell them this thing will end up costing a lot more the longer they try to drag this out. (lawyers are expensive & they will be spending valuable time in court.)

The fine print in our contract says that we have to pay their legal fees. I am not rich, but the CEO most certainly is. I'm not sure if a lawyer is really an option, but my husband thinks it is going to have to be. I wish they would just work with me here.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

The fine print in our contract says that we have to pay their legal fees. I am not rich, but the CEO most certainly is. I'm not sure if a lawyer is really an option, but my husband thinks it is going to have to be. I wish they would just work with me here.

That fine print does not give them license to defraud or abuse the public. That fine print is to scare people. Contact the BBB & your credit card company. The BBB should be able to help you. Tell the credit card company that you will be canceling the credit card if they continue paying the gym fee & send a follow up letter. You are a victim and you do have consumer rights.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My worst experience wasn't in a regular gym. Back in the day when I was actually in shape I was in the weight room for practice. We were doing max lifts and I was on the bench press. I was trying a weight that I had not done before. Just as I was picking it up off the rack someone yelled something at my spotters and they turned their heads. My arms buckled and it came straight down towards my face. The bar hit my nose and my mouth as I was trying to catch it and finally stopped it resting it on my chest.

I yelled and my spotters grabbed it off of me, but to this day I am leery of doing the bench press unless it is a machine with no chance to smash my face. Amazingly nothing got broken or seriously injured but it really scared the crap out of me.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    My worst experience wasn't in a regular gym. Back in the day when I was actually in shape I was in the weight room for practice. We were doing max lifts and I was on the bench press. I was trying a weight that I had not done before. Just as I was picking it up off the rack someone yelled something at my spotters and they turned their heads. My arms buckled and it came straight down towards my face. The bar hit my nose and my mouth as I was trying to catch it and finally stopped it resting it on my chest.

I yelled and my spotters grabbed it off of me, but to this day I am leery of doing the bench press unless it is a machine with no chance to smash my face. Amazingly nothing got broken or seriously injured but it really scared the crap out of me.

OMG! That is scary! Glad you didn't break your face! >.<