Hypoglycemia

Options
Hi all. Not sure if this is the best place for this but it seemed like it to me. I haven't yet been diagnosed but I took a quiz yesterday to assess my probability that I have hypoglycemia. 20 meant that you were at risk, my score was 99! I've been experiencing dizziness midday but yesterday really put it out there for me. I was at school and at about 3:30 I felt shaky so I got some cookies out of the vending machine. Then at about 6:00 I was feeling shaky again so I got some peanut m&m's. So one would think that my sugar would be high at this point right? Not so much. I went to my mother in law's house and she tested my blood (she's diabetic so she has the tester) and at 7:10 my sugar was 104. I think that's way low for having eaten cookies at 3:30 and m&m's at 6:00. I already have an appointment with my doctor for Friday but I'm going to call and see if they can set me up for a fasting blood test before then. I wouldn't even put this together but I have nieces who are hypoglycemic.

My question for you is this, is there anyone out here who is hypoglycemic? If so, how do you control your numbers? I woke up this morning so hungry that I felt sick to my stomach. I had a glass of orange juice and a whole grain english muffin. My stomach still hurts and I have a headache. What are the best things to eat to keep my sugar regulated?

Replies

• RubyRedGrapeFruit
    Options
    Get tested at the doctor. You could have hypoglycemia, but it also could be something else. If it is the case with hypoglycemia, when you have a snack, go for a protein and a carb. (like cheese and crackers) The carbs will start working fast and the protein will stick with you for a while to prevent your blood sugar from dropping. Generally, you should probably avoid going for the candy bar if you're feeling shaky...that's all carbs and it will only last for for a little bit.

But if you do nothing else, go to the doctor. And tell him/her everything you're experiencing. It's the only way they'll be able to help you :)

Good luck!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Simple sugars are bad for hypoglycemia. It will raise your sugar fast and then burn off fast. You could actually wind up weaker after eating candy. When I get shaky and dizzy, protein (milk or peanut butter) makes me feel ok again. You need to spread your food out over the day and eat something every 2-3 hours to keep from feeling like that.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Milk and OJ seem to work the best for me.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I do already have an appointment with my doc for Friday. The only reason I went for simple sugars was because I was a school and there wasn't much of a selection. I could have gone for cheese and crackers though. I know I didn't make the wisest choice by any stretch of the imagination but my mind was racing on how to fix the problem fast.

Thanks for your responses! They were really helpful! I am going to try today to space smaller meals about every 3 hours. I found a hypoglycemic diet online so I'm going to follow that and see if that helps too.
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    HI I am hypoglycemic...I had gastric bypass and used to be diabetic type 2...Now I excperience extreme low blood sugars I have had them as low as 30..I was shaking uncontrolably and felt horrible.....First of all you need to go to the Dr's office he will probably send you for a tollerance test and your fasting glucose test which gives you your average for a period of 3 months...If you tested your sugar at 7pm and you had cookies at 3pm that number is completely normal when you test you need to do it when your feeling ill or 2 hours after you eat...You tested 3 hours after the cookies and 104 is a great number....I eat every 2 hours breakfast lunch and dinner and yogurt & banana at 3pm and fruit at 9-10am..if your low you should use fruit it has natural sugar as compared to the juices....Banana's and watermelon have higher levels of sugar but eating any kind of fruit is good if your are having low blood sugar...I had been unable to excercise for the last 6 weeks since I had surgery but since the Dr agve me permission to start my hypoglycemic has gotten really bad again. When I excercise instead of water I use apple juice 3/4 to 1/4 water so I don't pass out....Good Luck let us know what you Dr says..
  • mamabear272
    Options
    I will let you know. Thanks.
  • mamabear272
    Options
    FYI, using the hypoglycemia meal plan that I found, I planned my entire day of eating and was only 12 cal short from my recommended daily cal allowance. Pretty interesting to me!
  • luv2skimom
    Options
    Hi. Over the past year, I was officially diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I have to eat every couple of hours. About every two to three hours. Protein is what helps me keep my blood sugar level good. I am worried about calories and eating too much, but I have been able to stay in my calorie range. Just eat small snacks like yogurt, beef jerky (I'm allergic to nuts, but if you can eat them they are great protein). I had the fasting blood test after I passed out at work. I was real shaky and everything. Hypoglycemia is manageable, you just have to make sure you eat every few hours. Good luck!