HRM - Reading too low?

Options
I ordered a New Balance N4 HRM from Amazon and got it in the mail this week. I've tried it out a couple of times but it seems like it's reading too low? It's consistently reading my heart rate from 90 - 110 BPM, even if I'm all out running and out of breath. Or it will give me random readings of anything from 65 - 160 while circuit training even though I feel like I'm really exerting myself. I don't think this could possibly be accurate, but I don't think I'm wearing the strap wrong either (I wear it settled under the band of my sports bra). And I wet it a bit before putting it on. Could it already need the batteries replaced even though I just got it?

Need a little insight here...I'm clueless and not sure how to remedy the situation. I searched and couldn't find any other threads that really covered this issue either. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have the same one. I've found that I need to get the sensors REALLY wet, not just a bit, or I'll get funny readings until I start sweating. Try getting it really wet (I just use saliva - kinda gross, but it works). If that doesn't do the trick, it could be the chest strap battery. I've had mine for over two years (I think?), and had to replace the chest strap battery not long after I got it (mine was new, but came from eBay, so who knows what it's history was).

Hope the wetting does the trick though!
  • GlowstickGirl
    GlowstickGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do lick it before I put it on...should i be slobbering on it or something? Lol. And even by the end of the workout and I've got plenty of sweat, it's still giving me funny readings. Could having my sports bra over it mess with it or am I wearing it up too high?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wear mine right under the girls, and under the strap of my sports bra. As for the slobbering - darn near! :tongue: I usually lick my finger and rub it onto the sensors pretty thick. But if yours still reads funny after wetting it more, and if changing the battery doesn't help, maybe see if you can exchange or return it.

I've been totally happy with mine - I hope you figure it out!
  • GlowstickGirl
    GlowstickGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I may try replacing my battery and see if that works.
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    Just a thought; you haven't accidentally got it set to show % of maximum heart rate instead of heart rate, have you? With mine I can toggle between the two and it can be a bit confusing.

Sorry if you've already ruled that out.