No gallbladder

Options
So i need some help..... My step mom has started on here to lose weight but there is alot of stuff she cannot have since she has no gall bladder...

Does anyone have any recipes or advice for her?? Im trying to help her with portion size and with eating 3x daily but idk what to do to help with the no gallbladder.

Please help if u can ....

Replies

• G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My wife had her gallbladder removes 16 years ago. She eats most anything she wants just in moderation, and go light on greasy food. If she is having diarrhea (as 50% of people that don’t have gallbladders do) the she should look into a medication called Colested.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Without a gallbladder you just need to go easy on fatty foods. See the purpose of the gallbladder is store bile excreted by the liver and when you eat a fatty meal your gallbladder sends the bile to digest the food. My sister had hers removed and she eats whatever she wants if she has a really fatty meal then she just cant digest the excess fat so she has diarrhea.

So really no new recipes are needed if your stepmom is loosing weight because she should be eating less fat.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. I eat anything I want but if I overeat, especially greasy stuff, I feel quite ill.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed when I was 18 (4 years ago), I wasn't told anything by the doctors about any lasting effects, but yeah, either constipation or the runs. If she is finding fatty foods troublesome after the op then rosemary connely books are good. She still has her gallbladder but has gallstones (she never had the op) and her books are full of good low fat ideas, I used her hip and thigh diet book before my op, it has an index of foods and their fat content at the back, and loads of advice and recipe ideas.
  • momsypoo
    momsypoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago, can eat anything I want and I have never had an issue.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder and eat whatever I want. I don't even have issues with excess fat causing problems and I eat a pretty fair amount of fat! If she recently had it out she'll want to be mindful at first of how she's feeling after eating and pay attention to anything that causes her issues.
  • charovnitza
    Options
    I had mine out 17 years ago, and have no problems eating anything. I'm on a low carb diet now and eat a lot of protein and fat, with no issues at all. She should probably start adding foods gradually and see what works for her.