Options
13»

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hi michcor

All the best with veganism.

I suggest you investigate quorn and beans.

most quorn is made with egg whites...

or cheese; not one single quorn product here is vegan, I hear they launched a burger last year but so far nothing here. Never liked it anyway though. Linda McCartney sausages are vegan though, but they're too realistic for me

according to the website, quorn released a vegan burger (wow, 1 whole product) but I haven't seen it in the US as of yet.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    . It seems ethically driven rather than nutrition driven.

And??? I am vegan, mainly for ethical and environmental reasons. I want a fairer, more sustainable world and i can do my bit by being vegan. I can survive and thrive eating this way, so i will. Yes, humans have evolved with the ability to eat meat but in this day and age it is a choice, i chose not to.

.I was a vegetarian, eating a low fat grain based diet, and had high cholesterol, was gaining weight , and had such low B12 I needed to get vitamin shots from the doctor. Went back to meat / fish and got so much healthier.

A vegan diet does not contain any cholesterol at all.
    Of course you can gain weight, especially at first as your mind and body needs to adjust. It's up to you to gain, loose, maintain weight whatever your diet consists of.

I also struggled with B12 at first and had to have injections. It smartened me up - i now drink much more fortified soya milks and take supplements. Yes, this is one nutrient that you may have to supplement, ONE! Not a big deal!

I'm gald you go healthier. For me, veganism has nothing to do with my health.

nutritional yeast contains lots of B vitamins
  • JackiePenner
    JackiePenner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Can I friend you too?
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi~
    I have been vegan since January 2011. My whole little family is as well. Feel free to add me :-)
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to say that one diet is suited to everybody. Every single person has a unique body that handles food differently. What works for you, ex: meat, doesn't work for other people like me. I feel 1000% healthier without animal products, but accept that this doesn't work for everyone. As far as credible studies are concerned, it's hard to get perfect studies in anything as they're so easily affected but external factors that sometimes, you simply can't avoid. For example, I think that mental health has a huge impact on physical health and it's hard to account for someones happiness in a study purely based on diet. As for me, going vegan was an ecological decision which had hugely positive health benefits. And if you eat a good variety of foods and know where you need to supplement, there's no reason you shouldn't be healthy doing it if you're willing to put the effort in.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Repeat.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am 24 and have been a vegan for 9 years. I get my blood tested regularly and have seen a nutritionist. I have never EVER been iron or b12 deficient and I only recently started TRYING to eat healthily and keep track of my iron intake and protein intake. I've realized, after joining MFP and keeping track of my protein and iron intake, that I get even more than I'm technically supposed to on most days. Those that complain about a vegan diet being nutritionally inadequate are just doing it wrong and trying to blame their inability to be a healthy vegan on the diet as a whole, rather then their own misgivings.

That's not entirely true. Sure, many people probably aren't getting adequate nutrition, which would lead to deficiencies. However, it's an individual thing - iron absorption varies from person to person and there are other factors outside of diet that go into various deficiencies. I don't think it's fair to say that anyone who has an iron or vitamin deficiency is doing something wrong or isn't well versed in nutrition.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is trying to sway you to eat meat for your protein, where do you think your 'meat' gets their protein from?

OP - feel free to add me, I've been vegan for 12+ years. Struggles to get your protein is a myth... there is protein in everything we eat. There are some sources that are more protein rich, of course, a few include quinoa, hemp, nuts (and nut butters) and lentils.

If you're looking for some good info regarding eating a plant based diet you could read Dr Joel Fuhrman's Eat to LIve. A couple other good sources of info:
    The China Study
    Crazy Sexy Diet
    Diet for a New America

Have fun on your journey... remember it's a lifestyle not a religion... be kind to yourself...
    ...scatter joy...
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Search the groups for vegan groups.

Posting on a board that you're vegan will just get a bunch of people *****ing at you.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sorry it didn't work out for you but there are soooo many healthy vegetarians and vegans out there. I think someone is trying to find support not opposition.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Search the groups for vegan groups.

Posting on a board that you're vegan will just get a bunch of people *****ing at you.

I think this is really unfortunate. I think people should feel open to discussing differences without getting pushy about their own beliefs. Remember the saying, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all." Quite honestly, I don't understand why a non-vegan would bother to post on a topic aimed at getting to know other vegans only to say they don't agree with the lifestyle. Seems counterproductive.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    nutritional yeast contains lots of B vitamins

This is good advice.

Just wanted to add, that black beans can add some unique health benefits to your diet as well. (study -- http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1753-6561-5-s8-p21.pdf ) Magnesium, anthocyanins, high in folate. I am a huge fan of chickpeas as well.

I am not a vegan, but there is no reason to hate on other people for their lifestyle choices. The OP was asking for support, not a debate.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan since I watched Forks over Knives, perhaps 6 months ago.
    The China Study surprised a lot of scientist at how unhealthy eating meat, dairy, and eggs really are.
    Then I read Dr Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live for more clarification.
    The Vegan diet is the most healthy, disease resistant, and life sustaining choice of nutrition for humans.
    We get most meat and dairy from cows, right? Where do they get all the protein and calcium? They are vegans!
    I always thought that the egg must be a great food.
    One egg can provide total nutrients to bring fertilized cell tp a baby chick.
    Well, people do not need to grow feathers, scales, or horney beak.
    The chicken egg provides great nutrition for baby chicks.
    Then they look at the human body. We have long intestines like other plant eating animals.

When someone buys a hamburger, fries, coke, and cookies for lunch are getting virtually no nutrients.
    They are apt to overeat because the body is starving for nutrients.
    And the Paleo enthusiast, hunters and gathers, so early man must have eaten meat does not make sense.
    To figure out what early man ate, you have to look at other primates--all primarily vegetarians.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    To figure out what early man ate, you have to look at other primates--all primarily vegetarians.

This is a bad reason to be vegan -- most primates are omnivorous. Even primates that seem primarily vegetarian, go out of their way to eat maggoty fruit, for example.

If you are because of ethical reason, that's fine... just not a good argument to use the distant past as a reason for your choices. (this goes for the paleo folks, too imo)
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Why do non vegans INSIST on posting negativity in a thread that is clearly directed at vegans? :explode:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan since I watched Forks over Knives, perhaps 6 months ago.
    The China Study surprised a lot of scientist at how unhealthy eating meat, dairy, and eggs really are.
    Then I read Dr Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live for more clarification.
    The Vegan diet is the most healthy, disease resistant, and life sustaining choice of nutrition for humans.
    We get most meat and dairy from cows, right? Where do they get all the protein and calcium? They are vegans!
    I always thought that the egg must be a great food.
    One egg can provide total nutrients to bring fertilized cell tp a baby chick.
    Well, people do not need to grow feathers, scales, or horney beak.
    The chicken egg provides great nutrition for baby chicks.
    Then they look at the human body. We have long intestines like other plant eating animals.

When someone buys a hamburger, fries, coke, and cookies for lunch are getting virtually no nutrients.
    They are apt to overeat because the body is starving for nutrients.
    And the Paleo enthusiast, hunters and gathers, so early man must have eaten meat does not make sense.
    Wow, never seen so many vegan cliches in one post before, kinda scary.:smile: