biggest loser = how do they do that at home??

Options
2»

Replies

• simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    here is my thing - they were home, so they had to go to the gym and had all the temptations that i have and STILL lost gigantic amounts of weight - granted few of them have kids, and none of them had to go to work during that time but still -
    Does anyone know what their calorie ratios are???

This info I got from another site, so I dont know how true it really is...

Calories for women are max. 1500
    Calories for men are max. 1800

They are expected to burn 6000 calories according to their BodyBugg [trainer Bob actually said that] - that includes the calories burned through the day [BMR]. Their workouts are 4-6 hours daily and I would imagine if they didnt do that at home and still lost weight...they didnt do it in a healthy way. JMO.

I have A LOT to lose [starting weight was 350lbs] and Im losing at a rate of 3lbs per week right now. I exercise 1 hr a day and burn 1100 cals in that hour. Id LOVE to lose 10lbs per week but Im happy with the 3 because it's 3 that I didnt gain and it's 3 that is gone forever.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were wondering the same thing...and I have my theory. I think since they were used to working out 4-6 hours a day while at the ranch, they probably built up a lot of muscle. For me, when I exercise a lot for a week or two straight (1.5-2 hours a day) I don't see much of a weight loss that week. However, when I cut back to easier stuff, like walking or lighter workouts, the weight comes off like crazy. I'm guessing that since they were home, they didn't work out as much or as strenuously, so some of what they lost could have been muscle or it was just easier to lose weight since they were giving their bodies a break.

I was on track in high school, where we ran about 4 miles a day and did weight-lifting 4X a week for an hour. I lost 11 pounds in 4 months. The week track ended, I weighed myself and lost 5 more pounds. I truly believe that when you give your body a break, you can burn fat easier. Even on exercise machines at the gym, there are ranges with heart rate, and the lower ones say "fat burning zone" and then as your heart rate goes up, it says "cardio vascular zone"

I see numerous posts on here where people have said that they increased their calories by 100-200 and started losing weight again. Maybe since the contestants were home, they were getting a few more calories than they realized and that's why they had such big numbers.

Maybe these theories are seriously flawed, but I cannot come up with any other reason as to why so many of them had double digits when they were home and away from the ranch. There's no way they were spending as much time in the gym and it's probably very unlikely that they ate as healthy as they do when they're with Bob and Jillian.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I am not here to argue...but if you don't like the show and are only going to crank on it, why bother watching it?
    I was 162 pounds after having my child 12/08. I am only 140lbs or so now, but I still think it is amazing that someone that heavy can get up and do those workouts and lose that weight. I do not want to stand in front of anyone in my sportsbra and shorts, I give them a lot of credit to even apply for the show. We all know how hard it is to try to lose weight, why else would we be here on this site if it was easy right? The show may not do it the 'right' way as a lot of you are saying, but what really is the right way? A lot of people do gastric bypass which a lot say is not safe.
    I do know, no matter how you lose it, the hardest thing is to maintain it. It takes a lot to be good everyday of your life. For those who try to sue the show because they gained it back..doesn't seem fair. I can't blame my husband for giving me extra helpings- it is my fault I eat them!
  • jwurtz
    jwurtz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    simona1972 : I like the way you think. Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll get there...
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was MySpace friends with several of the former contestants and they pretty much said women get around 1200 calories a day and men around 1600. They do an hour of cardio waiting for the trainers t o get there, then do an hour of whatever cardio the trainers give them while they wait for their one on one session with their trainer to do an hour of strength training.
    Then they go eat, get iced down and treated by the medics (usually including therapy treatments for their overworked muscles), some take a nap and some go do more work before they repeat the whole process all over again.

So, minimum of 4 hours of cardio and 2 hours of strength training a day on the ranch.
    I think their bodies are in such shock when they get home that they drop some weight just for that reason... they get to rest!
    I know they still work out, but the body gets some down time.