Healthy food expensive

Options
Why is this? I have a gluten intolerance, so I notice when I buy gluten free stuff, it's always more expensive than the normal kind. Also you can buy ramen noodles for less that a $1, but fresh fruits & veggies, not so much.
I went to whole food today for the first time and everyone warned me it was going to be expensive and boy were they right. It seemed the healthier the food was, the more expensive it was. And, once again, if it was gluten free, you could almost bet it was gonna be higher than everything else. It's pretty ridiculous. I mean, I had the money to buy it. But what about people on a budget who want to be healthier? That's really not right. It's like they want people to be unhealthy, making all that stuff so affordable. Ok, rant over lol

Replies

• hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also eat gluten free, grain free. Well, to the best of my ability. I cheat every now and then. I just do best on low-carb, I feel great on it. I don't shop at Whole Foods because it's too expensive. I shop at local Mexican markets instead. They're plentiful in my area and prices on produce are about half of Safeway (chain grocer). I can get a week's worth of fresh food for ~35.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    okay, is my country (New Zealand) the only one in the world where fruit and veges are pretty cheap? I keep seeing this topic and I just don't find it expensive at all....
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    okay, is my country (New Zealand) the only one in the world where fruit and veges are pretty cheap? I keep seeing this topic and I just don't find it expensive at all....

US isn't, at least not in Alabama.
  • trudijoy
    Options

that sucks. I can get a huge bag of veges for like ten bucks at the greengrocer. a bit more at the supermarket.... people here ***** about prices but theyre pretty good i reckon.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

The US isn't too bad - at least where I am. IF - you eat somewhat seasonally.

We've become accustomed to getting all of our veggies all year round. And some things, in some seasons, are pretty expensive.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am gluten averse as do not like the doughy feeling it gives but most product is pretty tasteless and relatively expensive as nobody buys it so live off rice cakes mainly
    I hear that you can get extremely cheap burgers with horse dna in them here in the UK as an alternative
    Only you can decide what you put in your mouth and at what cost to pocket or health
    Once decided log it and if too many calories then burn it off.
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Healthy fresh foods are more expensive than what? Not much.... I have found that most crap food is more expensive per meal and/or serving. Boxed cereal, fast food, prepared frozen meals, pizza, chips and beverages.... Is a package of ramen or a dollar menu burger a meal that would be filling and sustaining? I can buy an apple for $1. I can buy a cookie for $1. I can make a salad at home for $3 with lean protein and yummy veggies, I can buy a greasy high sodium burger for $3. But then I will be tempted to add fries and a drink to that...

It is not just the cost of the food. It is the cost of the lifestyle. Eat poorly, be unhealthy, need medical intervention. That is the way I see it.

There are some fancy organic Whole Foods grocery stores out there. Don't go there because they ARE expensive. Shop your local grocery store, the farmers' markets, what is on sale this week, or a club store like Costco. I realize this is not a one size fits all statement. I used to live out in the boonies and the selection was worse and the prices were higher. I had to be more picky about what I got, but I still chose healthy.

I don't buy organic, plan carefully to minimize waste, and for me it costs the same to eat what I consider to be healthy meals that are prepared at home.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Healthy fresh foods are more expensive than what? Not much.... I have found that most crap food is more expensive per meal and/or serving. Boxed cereal, fast food, prepared frozen meals, pizza, chips and beverages.... Is a package of ramen or a dollar menu burger a meal that would be filling and sustaining? I can buy an apple for $1. I can buy a cookie for $1. I can make a salad at home for $3 with lean protein and yummy veggies, I can buy a greasy high sodium burger for $3. But then I will be tempted to add fries and a drink to that...

It is not just the cost of the food. It is the cost of the lifestyle. Eat poorly, be unhealthy, need medical intervention. That is the way I see it.

There are some fancy organic Whole Foods grocery stores out there. Don't go there because they ARE expensive. Shop your local grocery store, the farmers' markets, what is on sale this week, or a club store like Costco. I realize this is not a one size fits all statement. I used to live out in the boonies and the selection was worse and the prices were higher. I had to be more picky about what I got, but I still chose healthy.

I don't buy organic, plan carefully to minimize waste, and for me it costs the same to eat what I consider to be healthy meals that are prepared at home.

I dont shop at whole foods every week. I shop at walmart, but I did notice my grocery bill went up when I went 'healthier'. Not that I eat completely clean anymore. Mayb it was just because I have to gluten free stuff & it IS high.
  • trudijoy
    Options

I dont shop at whole foods every week. I shop at walmart, but I did notice my grocery bill went up when I went 'healthier'. Not that I eat completely clean anymore. Mayb it was just because I have to gluten free stuff & it IS high.

I think maybe the title of the threads thrown people because GF food is more expensive, even here. But healthy food in general is a different story.

Can you get/eat rice pastas etc where you are? Not sure if they are GF but they can be cheaper?
  • shorty35565
    Options

I think maybe the title of the threads thrown people because GF food is more expensive, even here. But healthy food in general is a different story.

Can you get/eat rice pastas etc where you are? Not sure if they are GF but they can be cheaper?

I can. Mayb it is the GF foods that is makin it seem more expensive to me. What she said makes sense. The healthy food does cost more, but it fills u up better.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    In general what I have noticed is that if I'm just buying proteins, vegetables, fruit, potatoes and rice my grocery bill is fairly low. Basic foods are fairly inexpensive. It's when you start adding in other things, chips, crackers, pre-made meals, etc. (especially when you're going to gluten free versions) that it gets expensive.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I shop smart for my healthy food and since I've been shopping around I've saves so much money. I get all my meat at the market, where top quality lean meat is half the price of lesser cuts at the supermarket. The markets and Asian grocers are brilliant for cheap vegetables,
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat very healthy - usually organic any chance I get. I probably spend about $5-7 a day on food. Which is probably what an average meal at Mc Donald's costs.

Healthy food is not that expensive. You just have to learn how to shop & cook without using a microwave.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I can. Mayb it is the GF foods that is makin it seem more expensive to me. What she said makes sense. The healthy food does cost more, but it fills u up better.

It's not only that it fills you up better, it's that you're also getting lots of nutrition with it - instead of little or none from processed crap.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If you're on a budget, definitely stay away from Whole Foods. There's a reason people call it "Whole Paycheck".
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegetables are expensive where I live, compared to living on the coast or in a warmer climate. My parents live in Texas part of the year and told me they were absolutely shocked by how inexpensive food is comparatively. When I would go visit my sister in Seattle, I was AMAZED at the produce they would have in the spring that we wouldn't be getting at regular prices for a couple of months. I have eaten both ways and do find eating healthier much more expensive.

That's just me though...food obviously varies by location and availability.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I also don't get the people who say eating healthy is so expensive, but here are a few tips anyway to keep the bills down:

1. Frozen vegetables are just as healthy as fresh, so buy lots of them on sale
    2. Only buy produce while it's in season. The price will be lower due to the higher level of supply and the lower transportation cost.
    3. Buy healthy bulk items. Beans, brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat, etc.
    4. Meat can be frozen for several months, so buy it on sale, separate it into servings, and freeze.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Unfortunately location has a LOT to do with price. And store like Whole Foods are marketed to be healthy high end markets, so everything is over priced. My best friends sister has lived all over the south and constantly complained about the food quality. In the Pacific Northwest there's an abundance of fresh local markets and cheap options for produce. I hope in the future the rest of the country starts picking up on the trend, but a lot of it has to do with how available the food is and where it needs to be shipped from. Would you ever be able to have your own garden? Even a small one can produce a decent amount of potatoes, leafy greens, beans, tomato, herbs, and a bunch of other things in a fairly small area.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I agree with gardening and I have started that myself. It's also a great lifestyle activity.

When people say "eat things in season," they fail to realize that in some locations (like for example, zones 4 and up), very few things (you can get root veggies, greens, etc. for several months but the rest of the items are just a few weeks) are in season except for a few weeks out of the year, unless grown in greenhouses. Thus, everything has to be trucked there from somewhere it is in season (even apples, for example), making the cost much more.