Weighted Hula Hoop Circuit

Has anyone tried this exercise? I just bought one, the Heather Hawk 2 lb Circuit Hoop. I did it for a few minutes yesterday and all I can say is WOW, this really will work your abs and core I'm sure of it so was just wondering if anyone had any good results from it. I have a friend that has been doing it for a month and has lost a ton off her middle. I'm excited about this and am starting my plan of workouts today. :smile:

Replies

• Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    I can't even hula with a plastic hoop. Wish I could. This sounds like and easy, fun exercise with good results. Go for it!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    go to hooping.org for TONS of info

for years, i was a professional hoop dancer (hoop all over the body, do tricks, etc)

even travelled for hoop dance retreats.

rather than "weighted" hoop, get proper adult sized "dance" hoop
    (superhooper.com is a great company)

research hoop dance and your mind will be blown!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I hoop for about 30 minutes once a week. I never was able to do it as a kid. But I made myself learn about a year ago, and now it's very natural. And it's fun! And a change of pace. And works muscles you don't even know are in there. I've read that it burns calories pretty similar to taking a slightly brisk walk.
  • JVWard98
    JVWard98 Posts: 49 Member
    I did a 15 min. session and wow! this is gonna take some time to get use to lol it hurts your stomach sooo bad and sides but your body will get use to it. My friend said give it about a week or so and it wont anymore. I can't wait to see the results!
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    bumpppp
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    I have tried it at Curves and I believe it is a great workout,to lose 100 pds in a 10 min workout.
  • Nitabug36
    Nitabug36 Posts: 65 Member
    I have one and you are right, it works things you never knew you had.... The great thing about it is that you don't have to do it for a long period of time... I like to do it while I'm watching Biggest Loser!!!!
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Mine is the collapsible 2-lb weighted hoop, from the Hopgirl site..I`ve paid more for shipping and Duty fee than the actual hoop, but I love it..I can do about 30-min without dropping it..However, my only complaint is that i am covered with purple marks from the bruises ..
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    The heavier ones are easier to use than the lighter ones and bigger than the cheap plastic ones. I went from being the worst hooper in my group if friends to the one with the most tricks with one class and a lot of practice. Be sure you hoop the other war around to even yourself out!

Besides exercise, we use our hoop to warm up. We even take it with us to the pool in the summer and if one of us gets too cold, we get out and hoop for a few minutes.
  • Nitabug36
    Nitabug36 Posts: 65 Member
    I have one and you are right, it works things you never knew you had.... The great thing about it is that you don't have to do it for a long period of time... I like to do it while I'm watching Biggest Loser!!!!
  • wyattsmomjoy
    wyattsmomjoy Posts: 13 Member
    Hello! My hoop came yesterday! I got a 4lb (3.9) Trim Hoop. Of course, I couldn't do just 1-3 minutes as recommended for beginners! I am sore and have bruising, but understand that will eventually go away. I am looking forward to learning more control and getting a dance hoop in the future! So glad this this a topic on here!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    this had renewed my interest, with all the bending over to pick it up i was shattered lol i'm going to keep practising though, that site hooping.org looks really good :flowerforyou: so glad you shared it
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    My wife got into hula hooping after seeing someone with a quality hoop at a fitness expo she went to. She got so into it that she started making her own hoops. We were buying spools of flexible pvc at home depot and cutting it to different lengths and putting a connector in the ends then taping them with cloth athletic tape. She's made dozens of hoops for herself and friends and family and there's a few things I remember from experience.

The heavier the hoop is the easier it is to keep on your waist; of course if it's too heavy you'll get tired really fast. The larger the diameter of the hoop; the easier is it to keep on your waist. My wife is about a size 6 and I have a 48" waist and I can't keep what looks like a normal hoop up and going; it falls pretty much right away. We made a ridiculously oversized hoop (it's taller than our kids when you stand it on the side) and I can work that one without any issues. As I lose weight I should be able to use smaller hoops and hopefully one day use the same ones she does.

When you first start with a good quality hoop you're going to get bruises because your body doesn't know the right way to do it. As you keep doing it and your muscle memory starts to take over you won't get bruised anymore.

Besides what you think of as a regular hoop people also do hooping with one or two smaller hoops that they spin on the hands and arms. This is also fun and works a different part of the body.

There are TONS of different tricks and moves to learn and do with a hula hoop. Go hit Youtube and you will see some amazing things. It's not all about spinnng the hoop on your waist. It's not even all about just spinning one hoop on your waist. If you get into it you can REALLY get into it.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 122 Member
    I just got a 2.5 pound hoop a couple days ago and I love it. It is so much fun and a great workout for days I don't go to the gym.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    this had renewed my interest, with all the bending over to pick it up i was shattered lol i'm going to keep practising though, that site hooping.org looks really good :flowerforyou: so glad you shared it

That is why it is such a workout!
  • nanamary47
    nanamary47 Posts: 16 Member
    Its great exercise. I am 65 and do it and my grandkids are amazed how long I can do keep the hoop. You can watch tv and keep on hooping!!!!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    This sounds fun. Hula hoops still fit me like a belt so I'll have to wait..
  • It is so much fun, I do about 2hrs a week!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    I love hooping! Definitely research hoopdancing sites and on youtube, you will be amazed at how much you can do and learn with one, endless possibilities! I have been making my own hoops also, it is quite easy and cheap and if you really get into it, you will find it useful to have a number of different sizes to learn with.

In addition to using it for fun cardio, I also use it as a warm up before doing weights/calisthenics because it's an easy thing to just pick up and do in my living room.