10 days and not losing any weight!

Options
So I am relatively new here! Started MFP ten days ago and I shed about 2 pounds at first and then gained one pound again! I am counting my calories strictly! And am in a deficit almost all the time! I exercise and that includes a mix of rigorous cardio and strength training! So I decided to change my diet a bit! I've heard a lot about the Atkins diet! It's my first day on it! So far so good! But I'd like to know if any of you guys here tried it? And if so what are the results? Need to lose 30lbs to get to my goal weight! Any advice?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates based on a whole variety of factors, only one of which is body fat. You can easily gain up to 5 lbs of non-fat body weight by eating a high sodium meal, menstruating, starting or changing an exercise regimen, or not having gone to the bathroom in a while. At the same time, you're probably only losing about 1 lb. of fat per week.

The result is that you should expect your weight to go up and down, but maintain a general downward trend over time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my advice would be to have a little patience. you didnt put all the weight on in 10 days, so you wont get it off in that time!
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect results only ten days in. Patience is a virtue.
  • selina_kyle
    selina_kyle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I was not successful with it long term. I survived Induction and even lost 14 pounds but I had trouble concentrating and I was deeply unhappy and irritable. The day after I started eating carbs I regained 5 pounds and eventually regained all the weight I had lost on Atkins. I know many people have had success with it long term but it is certainly not for everyone. I hope you are more successful with it than I was.
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I am really happy with the inch loss! But it kind of gets a little frustrating when that scale won't budge! I've been stuck on this weight for months now! Though I've just started counting calories recently!
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Take measurements, try and limit yourself to the scale. I only lost 4.6 lbs last month, but I lost 14.5 total inches. Measurements are your best friend, the scale will go up and down because of fluid retention, or any other variables, the measuring tape doesn't lie lol
  • bassdude53
    Options
    Keep Carbs under 100 Grams..

Also, Intermittent fasting can be helpful. I am not suggesting anorexia, but try skipping breakfast a couple times a week. You should head over to www.marksdailyapple.com if you are okay with trying atkins. It's a more paleo primal approach that can really make you feel better about the choices you are making (and may help you realize all that chronic cardio may be hurting your progress a bit!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Also, Intermittent fasting can be helpful. I am not suggesting anorexia, but try skipping breakfast a couple times a week. You should head over to www.marksdailyapple.com if you are okay with trying atkins. It's a more paleo primal approach that can really make you feel better about the choices you are making (and may help you realize all that chronic cardio may be hurting your progress a bit!

ive been primal for 3 wks now. i love it :) .. i have previously lost 54 lbs (gained back some after failing on bbv shakes & then gained 10lbs over the holidays) .. now im down 46 lbs total. never thought giving up grains woukd b so beneficial :) .. i cant wait to try IF!!!
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for almost 3 months and I've only lost 6.6 pounds. Give it time. I've never tried Atkins but I have a friend who did and she ended up regretting it because she ended up gaining back all the weight and then some. But since she's made the complete lifestyle change she's almost 60 pounds lighter than when she was doing Atkins. They say it takes 30 days for your body to get used to drastic changes like exercise and healthier eating, etc. So I'm going to say go back to counting your calories and give your body the 30 days to adjust. It didn't take 10 days to put on the weight so it isn't going to come off in 10 either. :wink:

I also broke up with my scale. I used to weigh myself every couple of days now I only step on the scale for the challenges I'm participating in. So once a week is my "golden ticket" and I'm TONS happier.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that you are now building muscle, which weighs more than fat. You may actually see the # on the scale go UP a little as you get smaller - that's perfectly OK. As others have said, take measurements - they will show you that you are on the right path. Keep the faith, you will get the results you want......
  • rushikareddy
    Options

Hey I've checked out the paleo diet! It's difficult for me to stay on the paleo diet for long because I am a vegetarian! It mostly consists of meat and fruits but I can't survive on that diet for long because of my work out regime! :)
  • rushikareddy
    Options
    I am going to throw that scale into the attic now! Thank you guys for the advice! :)
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Let me start with this - please, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. I mean this in a supportive way.

Okay, now...

Did you gain the weight in 10 days? If not, why are you expecting to lose it in 10 days?

You have to give it time. Whatever you're going to try, give it AT LEAST 6-8 weeks to see progress. REAL progress. Getting healthy and losing weight are not meant to be overnight changes. Give your body time to adjust to the changes.

PS - Muscle does NOT "weigh more" than fat. 1# of muscle = 1# of fat. A pound is a pound. The difference is that 1# of muscle takes up less space on your body than 1# of fat.

Therefore, track your progress by both weight lost and measurements. This way even if the pounds aren't coming off, you may see inches coming off.

Best of luck in your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • rushikareddy
    Options
    Thank you! :) will keep a track on my measurements as well from now on!! :)
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have been very successful on an Atkins type eating style. I lost a lot of my weight from limiting carbs and sugar. Then I switched to being a vegetarian and maintained that loss. I then started adding back seafood and again, maintained my loss. I will note that during both of those diet transitions I was exercising daily at least once, if not two or three times. I was doing Insanity, Turbofire, training for a half marathon, and then a full marathon. So my body was using up all the carbs I was giving it as fuel.

Now I am going back to limiting my carb intake and slowly integrating more carbs into my daily eating as I see what does and doesn't work for my body. I am a HUGE fan of limiting carbs, but it is definitely only something you should try with an open mind of wanting to actually change the way you eat and not look at it as just a way to lose weight. Most of the people who fail with Atkins are those that are doing it solely to lose weight and they only do the induction phase and then quit. At that point, you never really understand your body, how it reacts to different types and amounts of carbs, etc. The purpose of Atkins is that you slowly integrate different types of carbs and slowly increase the amount of carbs you eat so you can know what carb limit your body can and cannot handle. I will say that is is NOT for everyone because not everyone will feel good at certain carb levels. I like to think I am a very active person and I am doing quite well through out the day at the low limit of 20-30g a day. But I will be increasing it as I continue to workout intensely as I do see some performance issues there.

I know carbs are my weakness so whenever I feel I am going overboard, I start there. Yes, you will probably lose weight faster with a low carb lifestyle because for every 1g of carbs your body holds onto about 3g of water with it. Counting calories is way easier, but for me, its not as fulfilling because I like FOOD! I like good tasting FOOD! And I get to have that and I feel full all day long.

Ok, this is getting long so feel free to email me if you have any questions. I started limiting carbs last week and have lost 5.2 lbs so far and 2 inches off of my midsection. But you could get those results with a calorie reduced diet of the right kinds of foods and exercise as well. But if you want to try atkins, I can surely help you out!!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    As above stated.. 10 days is not nearly enough time. Keep on goingggg
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    my advice would be to have a little patience. you didnt put all the weight on in 10 days, so you wont get it off in that time!

i gained 12 lbs in 10 days once (holidays)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    10 days and no weight loss?

Wow you might as well give up because if you haven't lost weight in less than 2 weeks there is no way you're going to be successful at this.

You should have really lost at least 10 pounds by now.

Okay. See how ridiculous that sounds ? You're fine. You've been doing this for a week and a half

Have some patience, make sure you're logging correctly and you'll see results.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You must always give a new plan 6 weeks to see if it is working. With the amount of weight you have to lose 1lb list in 10 days is a good amount.

I don't do Atkins, but my ratios are set to 35% carbs (120g) I find this good for me for weight loss. If I go much lower weight loss stalls. Everybody is different and you haven't find what works for you. It needs to be something you can sustain long term though or else you will always be going around in circles.

What ever you decide to do, make sure you give it 6 weeks. Don't expect too much. A 1lb loss per week for you, at the weight your at would be a great result...

Zara
  • Moneyinthejar
    Moneyinthejar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling just like yourself. I have been at this for 28 days and I am officially 1 lb heavier than when I started. In the beginning I was losing 1-2 lbs a week, just by eating 1200 calories a day plus any exercise calories. I would run a bit on my treadmill and do a few weights. Then I started the 30 Day Shred and have been gaining weight ever since. Nor have I lost any inches either. I completed up to day 3 of level 2 and am calling it quits on the 30DS. I am guessing it has something to do with not eating enough calories, but I don't know how to adjust it and make it right. I'm trying to lose some weight for a trip in March and I am running out of time. I'm going back to eating well, 1200-1300 calories a day, and exercising a little.