Baked beans... Good or bad for you

Options
Thought id ask since being broke they are a staple part of my diet

Are they good or bad for you?

Replies

• HannahPetch
    Options
    Beans are a source of complex carbohydrates and therefore are low GI and good for releasing energy slowly over a long period.

However, baked beans in a tin are very high in sugar and salt which are most definitely NOT good for you.

Salt will slow weight loss and sugar gives you energy spikes and then dips which is a nightmare when trying to do say a long run.

Adding some kidney beans, borlotti, black beans, butter beans etc to a healthy stew is a great way of having a healthy meal, WITH carbs, but the right sort, not refined.

Hope this helps.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Just check how much sugar and/or salt is in it. Most canned foods are shockingly high in both. And read the ingredient list. Odds are it will have high fructose corn syrup in it or some other weird chemicals.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Looking at 2 different brands in my cupboard, these are the ingredients

Campo largo baked beans... Ingredients

Haricot beans 49%, tomatoes 27%, water, sugar, modified maize starch, salt, onion powder, paprika, flavouring.

Everyday essentials baked beans... Ingredients.

Haricot beans 44%, water, tomato puree 6%, sugar, glucose fructose syrup, modified maize starch, salt, onion powder, flavouring, paprika.

Surprising how much variation there is between 2 cans of baked beans
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just check how much sugar and/or salt is in it. Most canned foods are shockingly high in both. And read the ingredient list. Odds are it will have high fructose corn syrup in it or some other weird chemicals.

You mean like quercetin 3,4'-diglucoside?
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The later product being the cheap alternative no doubt! It's amazing isn't it. To make the product cheaper they just fill it with crap!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I eat baked beans quite a lot, but only 2 small spoonfuls. I think if you eat an entire tin it wouldn't be good for you, but as an addition to breakfast, or with a jacket potato for dinner or something, it's fine.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    Looking at the same 2 tins

Campo largo (per half can)

Cals 137
    Sugar 12g
    Fat 1.1g
    Sats 0.2g
    Salt 2.1g

Everyday essentials (per half can)

Cals 175
    Sugar 9.5g
    fat 1.1g
    Sats 0.2g
    Salt 1.29g
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but number 1 sounds best to me. Which one tastes better? A lot of losing weght is about portion control and exercise. Your budget is what is. Perhaps you can bump up the other two areas.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I love Baked Beans (Branston are fab!) but I daren't eat them very often as they make me crave sugar. They're the only food that seem to do this to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The later product being the cheap alternative no doubt! It's amazing isn't it. To make the product cheaper they just fill it with crap!
    Sugar and salt is what people want and add some pork to those beans you almost have a balanced meal. Add a veg portion like pizza, then your gold.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I had LOADS of that last night - suppose that's another 10lb of fat I'll have to get rid of!

:P

Not found a problem with salt or sugar - though more reasons to avoid simple carbs if you're not reasonably healthy in the first place, I believe.

Oh and 137 calories for half a tin isn't so bad.
    The best in the UK is Sainsburys basics which come in at around 100 calories a tin - fair bit less than the reduced sugar ones etc.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options

There is very little difference in price! 9cent i think but i wont be buying the second brand again i dont think
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Good for you, possibly not so good for those around you.
    Beanz meanz fartz.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started making my own baked beans to avoid the sugar and sodium in canned baked beans. You mentioned expense, making your own will also save you money. You can start from canned beans or dried beans, I start from dry and make them in the crock pot. You can vary the type of beans you use too. I have used great northern beans and navy beans so far. You can also make them to your taste this way. I use molasses, honey, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and mustard seed to season mine. I also throw in chopped turkey bacon and onions. Yum! Have fun with it! :drinker:
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    I am no expert, but number 1 sounds best to me. Which one tastes better? A lot of losing weght is about portion control and exercise. Your budget is what is. Perhaps you can bump up the other two areas.
    Number 1 tastes better
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options

I had to look up what that was. Basically, let's take extracts from onions and flowers and chemicalize the hell out of them?
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I say they are good as long as they fit in your calorie allownce and macros. At the beggining of each day we all get an allowance of sugar, fat, salt, protein etc. use it as you wish. I eat a lot of baked beans and eggs as they are cheap and basically very tasty.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Good for you, possibly not so good for those around you.
    Beanz meanz fartz.

I eat lots of beans. I don't get the toots.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    They are okay but nutrition and price wise black and pinto beans are better for you since they have less fat and sugar and are cheaper....