Why am I ALWAYS over in the protein column???

jessifreehugs
jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I don't know...maybe it's not a big deal, but for whatever reason, seeing that red number irritates the crud out of me! I eat my 4 ounces of chicken, turkey or fish for lunch and dinner. Sweet potatoes, corn, and green beans are staples. And I eat a ton of fruit, but I'm always over in the protein category. Anyone else have problems with this? Do I even need to worry about it??

Replies

• eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Don't worry about it! Protein is good and it would be very hard to go dangerously over.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I don't know but I haven't managed to get anywhere near my protein yet, not even for a single day, not even using protein powder. Maybe we both need to adjust our desired ratios?
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    I don't know but I haven't managed to get anywhere near my protein yet, not even for a single day, not even using protein powder. Maybe we both need to adjust our desired ratios?

Maybe so lol
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    I tend to go over mine as well but then I eat either eggs,meat or beans ( and sometimes all three) mose days so it's hard to stay under adn I stopped trying after the first day. Protein is good for you when you are trying to lose weight.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    I'd say being over in protein is probably the best place to be over!! I'm trying to increase my protein intake, but I can never seem to do it! CONGRATS!
  • I have a serious beef (eew, no pun intended) with the automatic ratio as well. If I eat 2 servings of 3 oz of meat, I'm over!

They seem to really want you to go part vegetarian on this system.
  • goodgalpal
    goodgalpal Posts: 17 Member
    I am always over on my protein as well. It is very rare that I am under.

How and why would you adjust the ratio? I just left everything the way MFP suggeted it for 2lb/week loss....
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I checked mine and it was set to 30% carbs, 45% protein and 25% fat. I was just reading a post by shboss who recommended a ratio more like 50/25/25 if you're exercising regularly. I changed it to that which fits more how I'm eating anyway. You can change it by going to your goals and doing custom goals.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    How and why would you adjust the ratio? I just left everything the way MFP suggeted it for 2lb/week loss....

You change it in your goals. You select custom and put whatever percentage for carbs, fat and protein that you want. You can change anything. I changed my fiber goal and I increased my protein because I'm trying to watch my fats. More protein helps me lose easier so that's why you would want to adjust it. :)
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    If I were to adjust my protein goals i have no idea what I would adjust them to, but I can almost never reach my protein goals! It seems like whenever I choose a meat-based meal or a meat option, it just makes it so I can eat way less because meat has so many calories.

To stay within my cals I feel like all i can eat is vegies and tofu, and I still can't get enough protein!!

either way, i wouldn't be worried about being over on protein as long as you're under on saturated fat (maybe start tracking that). I was really sick this past winter with a lingering cold and the doctor said one thing that would really help is getting enough protein.
  • I find I feel much better when I go over my protein for the day. I have eggs sometimes for breakfast, chicken, beans, fish, or pork for lunch and dinner. I have yet to be under on my protein on the days I log my food in. Filling up on protein and fiber helps me feel fuller longer and that equals less snacking on unhealthy food items. I say if you are getting the results you are looking for (slow and steady) not to worry if you go over. I think other areas are worth worrying about and watching closer such as additional sugar and fat.
This discussion has been closed.