Will this be ok to stop me from tripping up?

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am really struggling to stay within my calories some days but others I am fine and can manage under. Do you think it is ok to try and lose weight this way (so basically remain around my goal over say 4 days or even a week)?

I know myself its not really ideal but I feel like a failure everytime I go over by a few 100 calories then feel like packing in because I have ruined it! Just thought if instead of doing a daily goal that if its ok I could try doing it over a few days or a week.

Does anyone else do this or have tried this?

I should probably also say I am not overweight (I am within where I should be, but I want to shift down to the lower end) and nor have I ever had a obsession with food (apart from when pregnant).
This is not about binging for me, its about on the days that I feel deprived going over and on the days I am going along happily going under. Hope that makes sense xx

Replies

• kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    to be honest, in someways having a different amount of calories everyday is good to keep your body guessing...plus say your allowed 1200cals a day....the end result it that you consume 8400 a week so if you do that, it shouldn't have an adverse effect on your weight loss as long as you eat the right things

x
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Obviously I'm new to this, but it sounds to me like you're being too hard on yourself. If you were splurging every single day of your diet, then I could see where it would be a problem, but not every once in awhile. On that same note, though, you don't want to let yourself get comfortable doing it because then you'll be in the "Well, it'll be okay if I just have a FEW more.."

The fact is, you obviously care, you're here and you're sharing, which tells me that this isn't becoming a compulsive habit for you.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I used to get really disheartened by the occasional red number day, but then I did a little experiment where at the end of a few weeks, I averaged out my calories. I discovered that they evened themselves out. I might have been over by 300 on a day, but then under by 150 two other days. Your body is different every day, sometimes it's just plain hungrier than other days.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I agree with kajaknowers. As long as your weekly goal is the same on average, I think you should be fine. :)
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    When I lost a lot of weight previously I did Weight Watchers. The way their program works, you can carry "points" (calories) over from one day to the next, as long as you stay within your points for the week. This is EXACTLY like what you're doing! I do the same now too, if I'm over one day, I try extra hard to be a bit under the next day or few days :)

Also, my daughter has always has issues being "under weight" and the doctor explained that when you look at what your child is eating, you should consider an entire week, not just one day. He said some days they will naturally NEED less food and others NEED more. I thought that was VERY interesting!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    I had two days like this yesterday and the day before. Meeting my calories has never never been an issue for me. LOL So, the scale said this morning I lost over two lbs in one day. So, I'm hoping to hold on to that progress, but I will make sure I don't turn it into a bad thing, and I will make sure I eat all my calories today. So, I think you won't have a problem either as long as you don't hve too many days in a row where you are underating.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Aim to keep your total calories per week steady, and you should be fine. I have "hungry days" too, so I usually just take my over calories and subtract them from my next day right off the bat.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I think it sounds like you're right on for what your body needs. Some days you are hungrier, so you go with it. Others - not so much, so you don't keep eating when you're not hungry. Makes perfect sense to me. I would be more focused on what you know your body needs instead of the numbers. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.