Flax and fish vs Cod Liver Oil? Probiotics?

So I am pregnant and seeing a prenatal chiropractor who is AWESOME! I am NOT a person who takes supplements or pills really of any kind, (except a prenatal vitamin) but she keeps on telling me I need to start taking both a probiotic AND cod liver oil...I have a very high fiber diet and don't have any tummy issues, so that is about the extent of my knowledge of probiotics, however I do know a little bit about omega 3 and 6's...If I am eating ground flax and fish on a mostly daily habit, do I need cod liver oil on top of that? Seems like a little overkill...

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    i agree, it sounds like overkill. i would double check w/ your OB or an RD
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    Did you tell your Dr. you were taking fish oil? Cod liver oil is packed with vitamin D, maybe that's why your Dr. prescribed it. Flax is good at getting one of the essential fats, alpha linolenic acid (ALA) and the fish oil is good for EPA and DHA.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    I am not taking fish oil, I meant actual fish, salmon, tuna...I would rather eat my way through then take pills or supplements...LOL!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    I am not taking fish oil, I meant actual fish, salmon, tuna...I would rather eat my way through then take pills or supplements...LOL!

seems a bit strange as i thought that pregnant women were supposed to try to avoid too much fish because of the mercury levels.
  • For anyone in the UK:

Aldi sell cheap ground flax in the cereal aisle. It actually tastes really good compared to the (unground) stuff from H&B.

Houmous is also good for those fats.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member

seems a bit strange as i thought that pregnant women were supposed to try to avoid too much fish because of the mercury levels.

You would be correct if you were talking about shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish but I don't eat any of that...:)
  • I wouldn't take any type of supplement without first consulting your OB. There are only certain types of fish supplements that you can have during pregnancy that are safe... I did take a fish oil supplement while I was pregnant that was specifically made for pregnant women... Can't remember the name of it but it was available at my local drug store. I also saw a chiropractor http://slcchiro.com/ during pregnancy which was a complete lifesaver! Good luck! :)