At what point...

Options
At what point on your weight loss journey do you stop seeing yourself as the person you were and start embracing the person you are becoming?

Replies

• whittlelauraann
    Options
    I still see myself as I was before... I don't know when/if I will get there.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Same here, I always go for the clothes that will cover up bulges I no longer have and going straight for the bigger sizes I used to be.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Good question...I am still waiting for my brain to catch and be able to see myself as other people see me. I look in the mirror and cant see the difference yet. I still tend to head straight for the plus sized clothes even though I can now easily shop in the "regular sizes". Its a journey...
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Roundabout now, I feel ... :-)
  • TravisEWalker
    Options
    It comes and goes. Some days you think, I look amazing. Other days, you see what you were before. Frankly, you just have to get out of your head about it and not worry about it. I've been into fitness and lifting weights for three years now and I can tell you, it doesn't go away. Just have to not worry as much.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    funny thing is... I see it... it just feels weird to wear clothes that fit this close to the body... I am so used to covering up... my daughter is helping me purge my closet to get rid of all the "tent" dresses from when I was 32W...*sigh* I think they make good lounging attire...LOL
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    At what point on your weight loss journey do you stop seeing yourself as the person you were and start embracing the person you are becoming?

Start today, and embrace the new you... DAILY (even on the days you don't feel like it...do it anyway)
  • Angmu7
    Angmu7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me I think I for the most part am seeing the person I am becoming. Now there are times I look at me and I am negative but it is about changing what I say to myself.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Always the same just slightly improved in the body love area :)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    I'm still not there yet. Seeing my reflection shocks me regularly. I'll be happy when that changes.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hopefully soon! I think our brains are so used to seeing what we don't like that we don't embrace the changes as quickly as we'd like to.

Know that you've changed in a great way and that your hard work has paid off! :flowerforyou:
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am so curious about this too. I havent lost the weight i want to yet but part of me is so nervous about the psychological part because ive been overweight for so many years.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with it (and am pretty close to my goal) :(
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    My biggest fear is finally reaching my fitness goal and weight goal and still seeing the schlumpy 230 pound insecure girl in the mirror. I will probably always see the areas that I see as having a bit more cushion or a bit of extra flesh. I think it's very much a mental thing in my case and I'll have to find ways of embracing the new me in order to change that mindset. I'm not quite there but I'm so looking forward to being able to get rid of some of my "bigger" clothing...maybe buying new things for the new me will help.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When I had to go bikini shopping last week. Also when I went to go buy a new wardrobe cause nothing fit me. I think about trying on things that before I would have never even bothered with. I assumed nothing fit me. I'm more adventurous now I guess. And also at work when everyone kept telling me how fabulous I look! I may still be 170 pounds but I think I'm pretty hot!!! Embrace the new you NOW!!! Or you're missing out!
  • kayla7jackson
    Options

Start today, and embrace the new you... DAILY (even on the days you don't feel like it...do it anyway)

Thank you for the advice. :) I need to start doing this.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I realized a few days ago that I didn't look the same as I used to. Strange things are popping up like dimples I haven't had since I was ten, and I can see my ears when I'm looking straight ahead.
    And then I looked at old pictures of myself, and compared them to selfies that I took recently.

That's when the difference became obvious that I was on my journey and more importantly, I was SUCCEEDING. That's what helped me the most to mentally begin to bring myself to terms with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

It's an exciting time and we should ALL be proud of ourselves and look forward to our futures...not dread it.

Good luck girls, you got this!
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice. :) I need to start doing this.

You're welcome!! Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME, and you will be fine....

I heard recently: Did you ever wonder why your windshield is larger than your rearview mirror? Because it is not intended for you to look back, except briefly to see how far you've come, and that is ALL. Look forward, chin up, smile on!!